• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alladin

Reaction score
Hi,

Are the internal compartments on the 256 and 257 collapsible?

I am wondering if the can be converted to a weekend bag - I have considered the carry-on bag, but prefer having the two straps.

Thanks

jsallen10

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decently sized weekend bag that will hold a couple days worth of clothes, a book, sandals and maybe even my macbook... a bag where I can just toss everything in quickly and access quickly at the same time (which is why I want a bigger zipper opening). As far as quality goes, this is my first bag and I'm sure there will be more to come in the future so it doesn't need to last forever, though it wouldn't hurt either. I do want it to feel solid in my hands though. Does anyone know the quality of this Passage Expedition duffle bag? It doesn't seem to be as popular as the regular duffle it seems like because it's made cheap materials even though the price is similar to others? I really like the extended zip opening and zippered pocket and it appears to be just slightly bigger than the small duffle. I just have no idea what to make of the nylon outer and whether or not the zippers feel solid and last (it does not note they are "heavy duty")? http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/screen_s...555335_003.jpg http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/screen_s...555335_002.jpg http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_im.../211555335.jpg

skovbo13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alladin
Hi,

Are the internal compartments on the 256 and 257 collapsible?

I am wondering if the can be converted to a weekend bag - I have considered the carry-on bag, but prefer having the two straps.

Thanks

The inner compartments are made out of the same canvas as the bag itself, so yes, you could say they are collapsible.

I have been using my 257 as a weekend bag a couple of times now, highly recommended.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Library-924.jpg

tan rucksack for someone who requested a pic earlier

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
Library-924.jpg

tan rucksack for someone who requested a pic earlier

Whoa, great bag.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just got in my 256 in brown with the handles attached. Great little briefcase. For you guys looking to stuff laptops and books and **** in there you'll probably need to go with the 257.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just got in my 256 in brown with the handles attached. Great little briefcase. For you guys looking to stuff laptops and books and **** in there you'll probably need to go with the 257.

The thing with the 257 is that although it seems only marginally bigger than the 256 it's actually a lot bulkier and heavier.

I just got the tote with zipper and it a lot easier to carry around. It's just a empty compartment inside though (surprisingly almost the same cubic space as the 257). I'll post pics later.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
The thing with the 257 is that although it seems only marginally bigger than the 256 it's actually a lot bulkier and heavier. I just got the tote with zipper and it a lot easier to carry around. It's just a empty compartment inside though (surprisingly almost the same cubic space as the 257). I'll post pics later.
I was just proffing my opinion as to interior size since people are always asking if so-and-so would fit in one of the bags.

alladin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skovbo13
The inner compartments are made out of the same canvas as the bag itself, so yes, you could say they are collapsible.

I have been using my 257 as a weekend bag a couple of times now, highly recommended.

Thanks!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vezatron
Cable Car Clothiers still has Filson for 30% off their prices (add to cart). Thanks to Put This On.

http://www.cablecarclothiers.com/acc...es_travel.html

NICE PRICES! Thanks to both of you!

Here's a tote with zipper i just got.

4942044156_c988c80b0e_z.jpg

Its a lot easier to carry around then the briefcase 257. The straps are long so they are to be used over the shoulder, but there is no option to have a long messenger bag style sling strap. Its still easy to carry though. I was out shopping with my wife last weekend and didn't want to lug around all her bags throughout manhattan so I just brought this tote with me and put whatever inside. We even walked a couple leisurely miles in the park afterwards. It was comfortable enough.

bag has one main compartment with no inside pockets. (it would of been nice if they put some things for pens or a small sub pouch. The sides have two pockets to stuff a umbrella or water bottle. And there are two pouches on the outside (with one latch for keys ect).

4941459539_712d20f158_z.jpg

capacity is almost the same as the inside of the large briefcase 257. For comparison contents: 15" laptop in sleeve, 7lbs book - there is still more space for other stuff (jacket ect).

4942045330_2d36cbcf4b_z.jpg

compare with my 257 from last year: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads