Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. alladin

alladin Senior member

Hi,

Are the internal compartments on the 256 and 257 collapsible?

I am wondering if the can be converted to a weekend bag - I have considered the carry-on bag, but prefer having the two straps.

Thanks

2. jsallen10

jsallen10 Active Member

I'm looking for a decently sized weekend bag that will hold a couple days worth of clothes, a book, sandals and maybe even my macbook... a bag where I can just toss everything in quickly and access quickly at the same time (which is why I want a bigger zipper opening). As far as quality goes, this is my first bag and I'm sure there will be more to come in the future so it doesn't need to last forever, though it wouldn't hurt either. I do want it to feel solid in my hands though. Does anyone know the quality of this Passage Expedition duffle bag? It doesn't seem to be as popular as the regular duffle it seems like because it's made cheap materials even though the price is similar to others? I really like the extended zip opening and zippered pocket and it appears to be just slightly bigger than the small duffle. I just have no idea what to make of the nylon outer and whether or not the zippers feel solid and last (it does not note they are "heavy duty")? http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/screen_s...555335_003.jpg http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/screen_s...555335_002.jpg http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_im.../211555335.jpg

3. click here

click here Senior member

Just get the Filson duffle bag. They look awesome as seen in this video.

4. Wess

Wess Well-Known Member

Don't buy from Crane's! Get it from this seller, it's much cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.com/FILSON-Padded-La...item255cb4763f

only $240 with free shipping

I second this. After waiting a month and then never got a reply on two mails I bought mine (257 tan) here, no issue at all.

5. skovbo13

skovbo13 Active Member

Hi,

Are the internal compartments on the 256 and 257 collapsible?

I am wondering if the can be converted to a weekend bag - I have considered the carry-on bag, but prefer having the two straps.

Thanks

The inner compartments are made out of the same canvas as the bag itself, so yes, you could say they are collapsible.

I have been using my 257 as a weekend bag a couple of times now, highly recommended.

6. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

[​IMG]

tan rucksack for someone who requested a pic earlier

7. click here

click here Senior member

Filson RuckSack Filson Medium Field Bag Filson Duffle Bag Filson 256 Bag

8. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

Picture of a pretty well worn small field bag (Not mine).
    [​IMG]

9. Bull

Bull Senior member

[​IMG]

tan rucksack for someone who requested a pic earlier

Whoa, great bag.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just got in my 256 in brown with the handles attached. Great little briefcase. For you guys looking to stuff laptops and books and shit in there you'll probably need to go with the 257.

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Just got in my 256 in brown with the handles attached. Great little briefcase. For you guys looking to stuff laptops and books and shit in there you'll probably need to go with the 257.

The thing with the 257 is that although it seems only marginally bigger than the 256 it's actually a lot bulkier and heavier.

I just got the tote with zipper and it a lot easier to carry around. It's just a empty compartment inside though (surprisingly almost the same cubic space as the 257). I'll post pics later.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The thing with the 257 is that although it seems only marginally bigger than the 256 it's actually a lot bulkier and heavier. I just got the tote with zipper and it a lot easier to carry around. It's just a empty compartment inside though (surprisingly almost the same cubic space as the 257). I'll post pics later.
    I was just proffing my opinion as to interior size since people are always asking if so-and-so would fit in one of the bags.

13. alladin

alladin Senior member

The inner compartments are made out of the same canvas as the bag itself, so yes, you could say they are collapsible.

I have been using my 257 as a weekend bag a couple of times now, highly recommended.

Thanks!

14. vezatron

vezatron Senior member

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Cable Car Clothiers still has Filson for 30% off their prices (add to cart). Thanks to Put This On.

http://www.cablecarclothiers.com/acc...es_travel.html

NICE PRICES! Thanks to both of you!

Here's a tote with zipper i just got.

[​IMG]

Its a lot easier to carry around then the briefcase 257. The straps are long so they are to be used over the shoulder, but there is no option to have a long messenger bag style sling strap. Its still easy to carry though. I was out shopping with my wife last weekend and didn't want to lug around all her bags throughout manhattan so I just brought this tote with me and put whatever inside. We even walked a couple leisurely miles in the park afterwards. It was comfortable enough.

bag has one main compartment with no inside pockets. (it would of been nice if they put some things for pens or a small sub pouch. The sides have two pockets to stuff a umbrella or water bottle. And there are two pouches on the outside (with one latch for keys ect).

[​IMG]

capacity is almost the same as the inside of the large briefcase 257. For comparison contents: 15" laptop in sleeve, 7lbs book - there is still more space for other stuff (jacket ect).

[​IMG]

compare with my 257 from last year: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759