• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That is tan, maybe a little different shape.
Filson 257 is my favorite bag, I absolutely love it.A co-worker of mine touched it the other day and asked if it was Lands End bag. Does Lands End make canvass bags?

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Filson 257 is my favorite bag, I absolutely love it.A co-worker of mine touched it the other day and asked if it was Lands End bag. Does Lands End make canvass bags?

Yes, they do - I think it's black canvas only, but though maybe a good "value", it's simply not in the same class as the Filson.

Bob

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an old Lands End bag. While they are only available in black now, they used to be offered in several colors. They were very well built although I'm not sure where they were made (I think the bag is in my office - I'll have to check). They weren't trimmed with leather or styled as nicely as a Filson, but they were pretty freaking heavy-duty.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NickM3

Reaction score
I noticed a few people had asked about the fit of a MacBook Pro 17" in the 256 and 257. I went down to the Filson store with my 17" and a sleeve. It will fit in the bags, but only in the center compartment and the fit is very tight with the sleeve on (you'll want the sleeve to avoid zipper scratches). Not an ideal situation, but if you don't carry your laptop on a daily basis I think it is ok.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'll be sitting pretty with my MBP 15" in the 257 then. But I will need to get the sleeve for it. I couldn't bear to see a scratch on my precious laptop. It still looks pristine, with the exception of the slight polish the keys take from typing over time.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Ordered a 256 today. Looking forward.

Thanks all for the solid advice in this thread. Interesting read.

You are really better off with 257 if you plan to carry a laptop and documents in the bag.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are really better off with 257 if you plan to carry a laptop and documents in the bag.

How do you like your 257?

This is my first Filson, but I have a larger bag that I would use if I need to lug more stuff.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
How do you like your 257?

This is my first Filson, but I have a larger bag that I would use if I need to lug more stuff.

I like it a lot, I can put my laptop and some documents there. I think it is perfect,anything smaller would be too small. I haven't seen the 256 but I can pretty much tell that it would be too small for me. I guess if you have a smaller laptop,you will be fine with 256.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot, I can put my laptop and some documents there. I think it is perfect,anything smaller would be too small. I haven't seen the 256 but I can pretty much tell that it would be too small for me. I guess if you have a smaller laptop,you will be fine with 256.

Sounds good. I figured the 4" was enough for me. We'll see. Definitely looking forward. Got it in brown. From what I have seen, it looks like the color ages nicely.

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Hey Filson Fans, What are your thughts on the Filson Passage Garment Bag? http://www.ebags.com/product/filson/...LAID=373864947 I am looking for an easy-to-carry on bag for travel to replace my roller bag. I need 3 days worth of space and like the idea of not having to fold a spare sport coat/suit. Generally need: 1 x sport coat, 1 x pants, 3 x shirts, 3 x socks/underwear/t-shirt, tie/belt, Dopp bag and pair of shoes (w/ shoe trees). The 2" width of this bag is the limiting factor but it should work for me for everything except the spare shoes or is there enough give in the bag to accomodate the height of typical dress shoes? The Passage Carry On seems decent too and is another option, bigger volume, more flexible but would require folding/rolling of jackets - and don't think I would ever use as a back-pack. http://www.filson.com/products/passa...taProduct=1019 cheers Andrew

colins

Reaction score
I recently received a Filson 256 in dark brown and the quality is amazing. Unfortunately, I think the bag is a bit too small for me. Does anyone have a 257 that they would want to trade for a 256 + $? I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning/exchanging with Cable Car -- they took forever and weren't responsive.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 257 finally arrived yesterday, after being back ordered. Damn, the bag is everything I had hoped for and more. I really can't wait to put it thru it's paces. It's going to be my daily work bag and should do nicely as a carry on for a laptop and a few magazines etc.. It might work well as a camera bag, but I'm not in a big hurry to try that out just yet. I'd have to decide how much jostling around I am willing to accept with my camera and lenses, and at this point, it's not much. I'll likely need to figure a way to carefully pad between lenses and the camera if I do.

I love the leather, and it's overall construction. The color is friggin perfect too.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
My 257 finally arrived yesterday, after being back ordered. Damn, the bag is everything I had hoped for and more. I really can't wait to put it thru it's paces. It's going to be my daily work bag and should do nicely as a carry on for a laptop and a few magazines etc.. It might work well as a camera bag, but I'm not in a big hurry to try that out just yet. I'd have to decide how much jostling around I am willing to accept with my camera and lenses, and at this point, it's not much. I'll likely need to figure a way to carefully pad between lenses and the camera if I do.

I love the leather, and it's overall construction. The color is friggin perfect too.

+1000,that bag is awesome. I have other leather briefcases but 257 is the one I go with although it clashes when you wear a suit,yeah I like it a lot and don't care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads