Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This photo shows very impressive wear and patina of the leather and fabric. I just don't know if the leather used today is quite up to par with what is shown here. This looks like waxy bridle leather and the current leather, although good, doesn't quite have those qualities. I find the same thing with most brands, not just Filson.

Picture of a pretty well worn small field bag (Not mine).
    [​IMG]

2. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

Cable Car Clothiers still has Filson for 30% off their prices (add to cart). Thanks to Put This On.

http://www.cablecarclothiers.com/acc...es_travel.html

Do you guys think this is about the lowest price possible for new Filson bags on the internet (if you live outside California)?

$226.50 for a medium duffle shipped

3. vezatron

vezatron Senior member

Do you guys think this is about the lowest price possible for new Filson bags on the internet (if you live outside California)?

$226.50 for a medium duffle shipped

In case Cable Car runs out...

If Crane's brings back their 15% discount it will be about the same (free shipping). May work if you call them.

4. hattori_gonzo

hattori_gonzo Senior member

NICE PRICES! Thanks to both of you!

Here's a tote with zipper i just got.

[​IMG]

Its a lot easier to carry around then the briefcase 257. The straps are long so they are to be used over the shoulder, but there is no option to have a long messenger bag style sling strap. Its still easy to carry though. I was out shopping with my wife last weekend and didn't want to lug around all her bags throughout manhattan so I just brought this tote with me and put whatever inside. We even walked a couple leisurely miles in the park afterwards. It was comfortable enough.

bag has one main compartment with no inside pockets. (it would of been nice if they put some things for pens or a small sub pouch. The sides have two pockets to stuff a umbrella or water bottle. And there are two pouches on the outside (with one latch for keys ect).

[​IMG]

capacity is almost the same as the inside of the large briefcase 257. For comparison contents: 15" laptop in sleeve, 7lbs book - there is still more space for other stuff (jacket ect).

[​IMG]

compare with my 257 from last year: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759

which color is your tote? The straps seem very different from the usual dark brown. I can't see if your bag is a tan or brown.

Did you buyed it at cable car clothiers? Because they don't have it on their website...

5. letsgoblue

letsgoblue Member

So, I just picked up a Pullman in the tan. I want to get a tote of some sort in order to carry on books and whatnot. Is it too matchy to get a tote in the same color? I was thinking about maybe getting one of these whipcord totes instead: http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-456p55044.htm Thoughts? For reference, here are some of the matching tote bags I'm considering: http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-456p54307.htm http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-456p55036.htm [This is a darker tan, which would almost certainly not work, but maybe the otter would?] http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-456p54303.htm

6. bobm

bobm Senior member

In the last few years, I have bought quite a few Filson bags - breifcase, small field bag, rucksak, med travel bag and wheeled carry-on. I think there are may companies out their with much more feature laden bags at lower prices - some much lower that can and will "fit the bill" as nicely and sometimes better, than Filson's. They can be lighter, or have a greater capacity, be more stain resistant, etc.
    What virtually none of the bags can match is quality of materials, attention to detail, being "overbuilt", have that genuine (and sadly harder to find) MADE IN AMERICA label attached, lifetime guarentee, excellent customer service, old fashioned good looks and actually does"looks and gets better with use".
    I am very new to this forum, but it seems you have some pretty good Filson distributors here. NICE TO KNOW.

Bob

7. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

which color is your tote? The straps seem very different from the usual dark brown. I can't see if your bag is a tan or brown.

Did you buyed it at cable car clothiers? Because they don't have it on their website...

Thats a limited addition run Filson did with Urban Outfitters.

8. Scrounger

Scrounger Senior member

I second this. After waiting a month and then never got a reply on two mails I bought mine (257 tan) here, no issue at all.

Got the Medium Field Bag in brown from this seller. Just as described and promptly shipped. Nice bag, although the working buckles will take some getting used to - everything I've had in the past snapped shut. The only thing I would change is the location of the key clip, which you have to open the flap and then the outside pocket to get to. I guess security trumped accessibility there.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its a standard brown tote bag directly ordered from filson. I didn't adjust the whitebalance on my camera before taking the pics - so there is the direct yellow sun shining down onto it.

Thats a limited addition run Filson did with Urban Outfitters.

the urban outfitter bag was in white. it was nice, but white gets super dirty quickly.

10. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

I picked up a 256 from their Seattle factory store a few weeks ago. I've been much impressed with the capacity of it as well as overall build quality.

11. Chips

Chips Senior member

Pulled the trigger, finally, about 2 hours ago, on the tan 257.

I've been wanting this bag for so long, literally about two years now. I've been dragging the same POS leather messenger bag that I bought for <$80 from a Wilsons Leather, or some sort, before I had a clue. I had thought about going Glasser, but I don't think it fits my lifestyle, since now I choose to wear scrubs to work instead of business casual. I think carrying a Glasser bag ( which I still greatly admire) into work would come across as rather peacocking from my colleagues, whereas the simpler canvas of the Filson should blend in.

I really am looking forward to seeing how this suits my needs, because I think it will see even more use than my original. I can see using the 257 as a overnight bag, carry on bag, maybe a bag to put some camera gear in when I'm out and about. Plus, since I work 12 hour shifts, and bring my own food from home in rectangular Rubbermaid containers, I think this will be a much better fit, toting a couple cans of diet soda, my coffee gear, medical gear, and food. I've always had to hope the Rubbermaid containers wouldn't leak, since I had to put them in on their side rather than stacked flat, since the messenger bag was too narrow.

Anyways, back to the thread....

If I snap any pictures that look worthy, I'll be glad to share some. BTW, it was the amazing feedback and sharing of opinions here that made the choice so easy, so thanks to all.[​IMG]

12. bobm

bobm Senior member

Pulled the trigger, finally, about 2 hours ago, on the tan 257.

I've been wanting this bag for so long, literally about two years now. I've been dragging the same POS leather messenger bag that I bought for <$80 from a Wilsons Leather, or some sort, before I had a clue. I had thought about going Glasser, but I don't think it fits my lifestyle, since now I choose to wear scrubs to work instead of business casual. I think carrying a Glasser bag ( which I still greatly admire) into work would come across as rather peacocking from my colleagues, whereas the simpler canvas of the Filson should blend in.

I really am looking forward to seeing how this suits my needs, because I think it will see even more use than my original. I can see using the 257 as a overnight bag, carry on bag, maybe a bag to put some camera gear in when I'm out and about. Plus, since I work 12 hour shifts, and bring my own food from home in rectangular Rubbermaid containers, I think this will be a much better fit, toting a couple cans of diet soda, my coffee gear, medical gear, and food. I've always had to hope the Rubbermaid containers wouldn't leak, since I had to put them in on their side rather than stacked flat, since the messenger bag was too narrow.

Anyways, back to the thread....

If I snap any pictures that look worthy, I'll be glad to share some. BTW, it was the amazing feedback and sharing of opinions here that made the choice so easy, so thanks to all.[​IMG]

I don't have the 257, but the original, smaller breifcase. I also happen to bring mine in for the 12 hour shifts at the hospital. For carrying lunch, other items, yes, will work well, but I think it may be stretching as an overnight bag, if you carrying a full set of clothes, shaving eqt., etc. I would still recommend placing the Rubbermaid containers in a plastic bag; if it leaks, you have a mess to deal with.

Bob

13. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

its a standard brown tote bag directly ordered from filson. I didn't adjust the whitebalance on my camera before taking the pics - so there is the direct yellow sun shining down onto it.
    Ah my mistake, if anything it shows how nice a light chocolate Filson bag would be.

14. click here

click here Senior member

So I recently ordered a brown filson 256 bag and when I received it I'm not sure if they have sent the wrong one. It looks tan to me. Can anyone confirm what colour this bag is? [​IMG] (taken with flash) [​IMG]taken without flash [​IMG]the tag says tn256 so I assume this is tan?

15. bobm

bobm Senior member

[​IMG]the tag says tn256 so I assume this is tan?[/quote]

Yes, it's tan. Give them a call to make the swap, unless tan agrees with you.

Bob