• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foulard
Even more classic just get the manual wind must de cartier 70's model which is a very reasonably priced classy timepiece.

I love Cartier and JLC Reverso but they have manual wind (or quartz). My GP Richeville with automatic it's more comfortable for me.

foulard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kappelan
I love Cartier and JLC Reverso but they have manual wind (or quartz). My GP Richeville with automatic it's more comfortable for me.

not to mention the superior movement you have!

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the superior movement you have!

Thank you sir.

Photo with the old Gyromatic
smile.gif

p1010027.jpg

Photo of movement of this Richeville

mmm10.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing this one again today. I know... boooooooooooring.
smile.gif

IMG00111-20100615-1208.jpg

foulard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Wearing this one again today. I know... boooooooooooring.
smile.gif

IMG00111-20100615-1208.jpg

Now that's a watch.

Certainly not a RL though is it? I knew you were arguing just for the sake of it.

Anyway lovely watch congrats.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
I've been toying with idea of a Rolex Sea-Dweller (16600) for a while now. I've looked around some of the well known dealers in HK and have found a couple. Thing is, they look exactly the same and yet even in the same shop vary in price by as much as $US500. I understand these watches must be from different years of manufacture, but how does one tell? If the shop doesn't have the box/papers is there a way to distinguish? BTW, if any HK members read this, what's a fair price for say a 2006 model?
Thanks in advance.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ApplesHK
I've been toying with idea of a Rolex Sea-Dweller (16600) for a while now. I've looked around some of the well known dealers in HK and have found a couple. Thing is, they look exactly the same and yet even in the same shop vary in price by as much as $US500. I understand these watches must be from different years of manufacture, but how does one tell? If the shop doesn't have the box/papers is there a way to distinguish? BTW, if any HK members read this, what's a fair price for say a 2006 model?
Thanks in advance.

You can get a general idea of year of manufacture from the letter in the SN. There are plenty of resources on the interweb to explain it. Rolex seems to have changed things up for 2010 though.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journeyman, thanks for comment.

I will send to you ref. of this GP to PM.

Thank you very much - greatly appreciated.

Just get the JL reverso and be done with it, you know its what you really want.

But if your brave try and find a vintage Gruen curvex. Much cheaper but very slick.

Yes, in all seriousness, I have been seriously considering a JLC Reverso for some time now, but whilst I like the technical side of the watch, and I really want a rectangular or lozenge style of watch, I'm not sold on the JLC's case. The G-P's case is a bit cleaner and simpler, compared to that of the JLC.

Good point on the Gruen, and the Curvex gets points for rarity and the "cool" factor associated with having a curved watch case. I've seen a few on Timezone over the years, but most of them are only in reasonable condition and I'm really looking for something that's pretty much new-old stock, rather than something that needs refurbishment.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journeyman, what about some model of Cartier?

GP Vintage also have good models.

georgescottvintage1945.jpg

Kappelan, that is another stunning G-P - thanks for the image and the suggestion.

I really don't know too much about Cartier. I do know that they introduced the rectangular, "tank" case many, many years ago but for some reason, I still tend to think of them as more of a jewellery and accessories company than as a reputable watch company. I could well be wrong, though, and I should look further.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I feel nothing when looking at the Cartier. I think they don't have the same charisma like the GP or a Reverso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads