• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From what I understand, the 2 letters denote the artist, the first 2 numbers denote the model year and style and the last 2 denote the color and pattern... something to that effect. Is that what you are on as well?

Originally Posted by onix
Yeah, the number is only meaningful to some, especially to collectors. I have a reference built by myself, and I am sure that other collectors also have their own references, but no-one ever put them online. Unlike Hermes scarf which has extensive online reference. I guess, us guys just want to keep things to ourselves.
laugh.gif

gregor

Reaction score
when I tie my bowties I have one side with a bow and one side with only fabric on the other side. I am doing it wrong or are there just different ways to tie bow ties? Is this the SF approved way?
GM

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
From what I understand, the 2 letters denote the artist, the first 2 numbers denote the model year and style and the last 2 denote the color and pattern... something to that effect. Is that what you are on as well?
The numbering system is a bit more complicated than most people think. And it evolves over time. Here is a brief overview. Here is for the silk twill. - Hermes first introduced Hermes ties and labeled them "## xx" (for example, the popular 59 EA). Now, most documents online claim that the xx is the name of the artist, or the code for the design department, or the one who hand stitched the ties, etc., but I personally highly doubt that, since all of them end with A). - In the early 70s, they started expanding their market and introduced a lot new designs, thus, the 2 digits must be extended to 3 digits. Hence we have "### xx". - At the end of the 80s, the 3-digit numbers ran out, so they started using 4 digit, hence "7### xx" - At the end of the 90s, these 7000s numbers ran out, so they started "5### xx". So the newest ties are 5000s, with the higher the last 3 digits the newer. For example, 5465 to 5486 = Fall/Winter 2009, 5430 to 5460 = Spring/Summer 2009, etc., Other than silk twill: Also at the end of the 80s, the company started producing different lines (heavy silk, wool, cashmere, linen, etc.), and new numbering system is required. So they labeled all of them with the following format: "##-####-T##" where the first ## indicates the type: 00 means the classic silk twill, 75 means the heavy silk, the second group of 4-digits #### is the design number. The last 2 digits = the color code. For example, this popular zebra one is 00-7110-T55 (00 = silk twill, 7110 = design number, this is about 1992, 55 = the color code, here is orange). All of these codes can be found in the price tag, around the bar code, or in the new heavy silk ties.
007110T55.jpg
Another example, this is 48-8906-T02 (48 = winter weight wool, 8906 = design number, 02 is the color code)
488906T02.jpg

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Where do you draw the line for wearing balmoral shoes in regards to formality? Suits only? Slacks? I saw a guy in MC say that he wore his AE Park Ave's with jeans. This confused me.
confused.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daruma
is a welt which is attached to the insole automatically a goodyear welt?
No, there are other kinds. I'd suggest taking a look at Andew Harris's "Shoes explained" article which is linked from the pinned "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread in the Men's Clothing forum.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Where do you draw the line for wearing balmoral shoes in regards to formality? Suits only? Slacks? I saw a guy in MC say that he wore his AE Park Ave's with jeans. This confused me.
confused.gif

Yeah, I think that before you accept something posted in MC as accurate or reasonable, you need to have some degree of consensus among a majority of posters or if you are going to take a minority position, you need to recognize some form of elevated credibility or authority from those posters. As an example, DFWII and bengal-stripe are very credible individual posters on the subject of men's shoes and I would be considerably more likely to trust information from them on that subject. Lately there has been an influx of posters who, whether from ignorance or otherwise, frequently advocate ideas that are either out of the mainstream of traditional men's tailored clothing or aesthetically questionable or both. I would consider bals with jeans, especially sleek captoe bals such as AE Park Aves, as well outside the norm. I see that combination as a fundamental clash between the implicit formality of the Park Aves and the implicit informality of jeans.

As for the precise line where bals may no longer be worn, I think you need to consider a variety of factors that contribute to the formality of your attire. Not all balmorals are equally formal. For example, a mid-brown brogued bal is considerably less formal than a sleek black captoe. In the same way, not all odd jacket and trouser combinations are equally formal. A navy blazer paired with flannel gray trousers is more formal than a rough tweed jacket paired with moleskins. Black captoes could certainly be worn with the former but would look out of place with the latter. I think there should be a kind of corresponding sliding scale between the formality of your shoes and your jacket and trouser combination.

kirancp

Reaction score
Need urgent help please. Whats the best formal black oxford cap toe style shoes money can buy in India specifically Mumbai. I need to be able to try the shoes before buying (the only condition).

I dont know of any bespoke shoe-makers in this part of country. All we have are some luxury brand names like ferragamo, canali, hugo boss and some local brands.

Any help is much appreciated.

click here

Reaction score
When getting your clothes altered from a tailor, if you are not satisfied with the results and you want them to fix it up, would you have to pay extra to get the tailor to redo it or should the tailor fix it up for free?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
When getting your clothes altered from a tailor, if you are not satisfied with the results and you want them to fix it up, would you have to pay extra to get the tailor to redo it or should the tailor fix it up for free?

The latter - assuming the tailor goofed.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I've heard that Brooks Brothers outlets mostly sell made-for-outlet lines that are of significantly lower quality. I've heard that the line is "346." I went into an outlet today for the memorial day sale and almost all of their items were "346." There were a few "1818" shirts, but they were non-iron. For which BB models should I keep a look out, and which ones should I avoid (besides 346)?

Thanks.

I think where you are getting fouled up is that at the outlet, they hang tags that say 346 on everything, even if it is fancy stuff like Black Fleece. You need to look and make sure that there isn't anything that says 346 that is on the garment itself.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
I think where you are getting fouled up is that at the outlet, they hang tags that say 346 on everything, even if it is fancy stuff like Black Fleece. You need to look and make sure that there isn't anything that says 346 that is on the garment itself.

No, I'm talking about actually inside the garment, on the tag. The only other shirts I could find were the 1818s, but it was a very small selection and all non-iron (I'd prefer iron, I think).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads