Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Looking through the Street-wear thread, I noticed a couple people wearing oxford-looking shirts untucked. Can all oxfords be worn untucked like this, or do certain brands come shorter? (If so, which ones?)

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Looking through the Street-wear thread, I noticed a couple people wearing oxford-looking shirts untucked. Can all oxfords be worn untucked like this, or do certain brands come shorter? (If so, which ones?)

The shirt tails on many oxfords are too long to wear untucked without looking sloppy. However, some manufacturers make shirts that are short enough to wear untucked and still look stylish. Epaulet is one such manufacturer.

When it comes to linen shirts, I wear them untucked exclusively and so have them square-hemmed by my tailor. If you have a quality shirt that's too long to wear un-tucked, you may want to consider having it tailored to accommodate that look.

- Keith

3. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Can patent leather shoes be changed in color ?
    Can patent layer be stripped and then regular shoes polish applied to darken the shoes?
    Please only answer if you have done it or professional cobbler did it for you. No theoretics.

4. click here

click here Senior member

About to order an oxford shirt from moderntailor...was just wondering would a thick MOP button be appropriate for this shirt? It has a button down collar so I'm not sure if the thick MOP would look funny on it.

5. thehaunted

thehaunted New Member

6. herder

herder New Member

Are the pockets of dress pants suppose to come out like in the picture? I am about to purchase a suit and the salesman has told me that the pockets could be fixed easily by letting out the back side. They currently stick out like ears.

The pants are a slimmer fit, low rise, flat front.

Is he telling the truth? Should i purchase the suit or move on? Thanks
    [​IMG]

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I need to buy my first suiting for a funeral. I have no idea what to get. I have been looking at the Jcrew Ludlow Suit because it is very hot in Florida right now. What color should I be looking at? I really have no use for a black suit at the moment and might get some other uses out of a khaki jacket. Can I wear the Khaki jacket, a dress shirt, a tie, and a pair of my APCs? Navy?

8. alexei

alexei Senior member

Is there an online guide to the various Hermes model numbers printed on their men's ties?

9. onix

onix Senior member

Is there an online guide to the various Hermes model numbers printed on their men's ties?

No. But exactly what do you need to know?

10. alexei

alexei Senior member

No. But exactly what do you need to know?

I don't know. I saw one at a local thrift store. I don't paricularly like the design, but thought there might be some useful information (e.g. production year, value, rarity, etc.) to be determined by the model number. It appears most Hermes tie sellers quote those numbers so it would seem somebody, somewhere has a library of patterns/numbers.

11. onix

onix Senior member

I don't know. I saw one at a local thrift store. I don't paricularly like the design, but thought there might be some useful information (e.g. production year, value, rarity, etc.) to be determined by the model number. It appears most Hermes tie sellers quote those numbers so it would seem somebody, somewhere has a library of patterns/numbers.

Yeah, the number is only meaningful to some, especially to collectors. I have a reference built by myself, and I am sure that other collectors also have their own references, but no-one ever put them online. Unlike Hermes scarf which has extensive online reference. I guess, us guys just want to keep things to ourselves. [​IMG]

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Does anybody know anything about the label, "Berry, London - The Finest English Clothes" or the fabric label "Arabelli". These are on a quite well made navy blazer (db, full canvass, brass and enamel buttons)?

Many Thanks.

Just bumping this to chance my luck...

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I need to buy my first suiting for a funeral. I have no idea what to get. I have been looking at the Jcrew Ludlow Suit because it is very hot in Florida right now. What color should I be looking at? I really have no use for a black suit at the moment and might get some other uses out of a khaki jacket. Can I wear the Khaki jacket, a dress shirt, a tie, and a pair of my APCs? Navy?
    Charcoal is an appropriate color for a funeral. With a suitably muted tie and white shirt, navy would also work. Black is frowned upon here for reasons you can search and read about if you do not already know. Personally, I think jeans are inappropriate for a funeral and the whole "It's hot in Florida" excuse doesn't fly.

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Charcoal is an appropriate color for a funeral. With a suitably muted tie and white shirt, navy would also work. Black is frowned upon here for reasons you can search and read about if you do not already know. Personally, I think jeans are inappropriate for a funeral and the whole "It's hot in Florida" excuse doesn't fly.
    I don't think he's planning on wearing jeans to the funeral. Rather, I think he's wondering if he can pair the jacket from that suit with some jeans at a later date, so he's not buying the suit solely for the purpose of wearing it to the funeral. - Keith

15. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I've heard that Brooks Brothers outlets mostly sell made-for-outlet lines that are of significantly lower quality. I've heard that the line is "346." I went into an outlet today for the memorial day sale and almost all of their items were "346." There were a few "1818" shirts, but they were non-iron. For which BB models should I keep a look out, and which ones should I avoid (besides 346)? Thanks.