Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

Depends. Casually, No. With jacket and tie, Yes. Something in between, Maybe.

Yes, this is how I'm thinking too.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I need a few questions addressed:

1) Leather Soled Shoes - I have some brown cap-toed Bruno Magli oxfords with leather soles. Being the first pair of leather soles i have owned, they seem to be wearing thin quickly (approx. 6 months.) i have never worn them in the rain but they have gotten damp a few times the day-after a rain. Please advise to the average life span before a shoe needs to be resoled and how to get the longest possible life span.

You don't measure shoe wear by time because that doesn't account for the relative factors involved such as wear frequency, distance walked, surfaces walked on, body weight, individual gait, etc. If your shoes are wearing out quickly, that will probably not change unless you change one of the factors above.

Read through Ron Rider's shoe care thread. It's linked in the pinned "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread in the Men's Clothing forum.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Gentlemen: I've got a wedding coming up at the end of the month, and I'd like to break out my AE black/white spectators. Questions: I've got two cotton-poplin suits, khaki and oyster (stone) - which color do you think would look better with the black/white specs (and matching black/white spectator belt)? Second question, if I successfully resist the urge to wear a black dress shirt with this ensemble, is white my only other option (wearing a black/tan XMI repp tie)? Finally, would a small, bakelite or silk, black rose lapel pin be considered gauche in a non-business social setting? I thought it might be a nice touch with the spectators. Thanks for the help! -Tom-
    The khaki color is probably a better pairing with the spectators than the stone. In addition to white, you could wear a light blue shirt with the poplin suit. Some would say that spectators and a poplin suit are more costume than normal attire although I would disagree. However, if you add a big lapel pin to the mix, you give the costume people some grounds for their argument.

4. radnessradness

radnessradness New Member

Going to prom, my date is wearing something very similar to this http://www.edressme.com/1551410.html although it is a lighter pink. I would appreciate any advice on how to match this well as well as the color choice for the corsage and boutonniere. I would prefer not to wear pink and rather have the boutonniere match her dress more. Thanks I just don't wanna ruin her night by not matching well. No preference to wearing a bow or tie either.

5. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Going to prom, my date is wearing something very similar to this http://www.edressme.com/1551410.html
    although it is a lighter pink. I would appreciate any advice on how to match this well as well as the color choice for the corsage and boutonniere. I would prefer not to wear pink and rather have the boutonniere match her dress more. Thanks I just don't wanna ruin her night by not matching well. No preference to wearing a bow or tie either.

You're in HS and the trend in HS proms is to wear color, and sometimes, to match. Personally, I would NOT match b/c it is just dumb, but I can understand why you wouldn't just want to wear black tie with no colors. How about a black bowtie and a pocketsquare with pink accents (plus boutonnier)?

6. radnessradness

radnessradness New Member

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. I'll definitely take the black n white bow tie into consideration along with the pink accented pocket square.

7. enginerd917

enginerd917 Senior member

What is the difference between Brooks Brothers sport shirts and dress shirts? (mainly interested in button down collars)

I didn't realize sizing was different as well, I'm wearing a 15-32 Slim fit in the Non-Iron dress shirt. Small or medium in the sport shirt slim fit?

And to add, does anyone know the measurements of Polo custom and classic fit shirts? They show the sport shirt sizing on the site (S/M/L/XL) but nothing denoting custom/classic etc...

15 and 15.5 for both if possible, or if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great as well!

8. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

What do you guys think of this Armani suit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3881wt_913

Armani Collezioni is not known for being a high-quality suit (do a search here for that). The cut (of which there are several in this line) is flattering on some people, so if it fits you well, it might be an acceptable value at that price.

10. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Armani Collezioni is not known for being a high-quality suit (do a search here for that). The cut (of which there are several in this line) is flattering on some people, so if it fits you well, it might be an acceptable value at that price.

+1. Do some research on this board. There is one thread in particular that talks about the different lines of Armani. From what I recall, Armani Collezioni is (relatively) cheaply made, and after several wears, seems to start having "issues".

11. ajv

ajv Senior member

Can patent leather shoes be changed in color ?
    Can patent layer be stripped and then regular shoes polish applied to darken the shoes?
    Please only answer if you have done it or professional cobbler did it for you. No theoretics.

I have done it on several pairs of Church's, but you are never sure of the outcome, one pair was just good to be thrown after the treatment.
    It is very harsh on the leather, so I would only advise to try on shoes you are not enamoured any more.
    First go with some acetone on a cloth, if this works, fine. If not go with the acetone and a scouring pad. If it still doesn't work, start using diluted bleach, up to pure bleach.
    But after that you might have to redye your shoes and apply lots of nourishing cream, before creaming and waxing them.

Again, only try this if you don't care if the result is a disaster.

Good luck,

Adrian

12. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

If you apply wax polish on shoes, wouldn't it negate the benefits of cream applied later? Do you need to strip off the wax layers if you want to apply cream?

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

If you apply wax polish on shoes, wouldn't it negate the benefits of cream applied later? Do you need to strip off the wax layers if you want to apply cream?
    This is covered in a number of threads including Ron Rider's shoe care thread. It's linked in the pinned "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread in the Men's Clothing forum.

14. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

15. Jakewasthe

Jakewasthe Member

What is the name of this fashion (for men, obviously, but this is the best representative of what I mean)? http://picfu.net/e398b6 I've googled "classy punk" "modern elegant punk style for men" "punk chic" "modern military layered punk style" but nothing seems to fit.