• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TM79
I respond to snark with snark. No big deal.

I don't deny my first post was snarky (imagine, a fruit beer having a strong fruity taste), but I didn't realize that calling someone a "***" was considered snarky by anyone old enough to drink. I stand corrected, and the bar is lowered.

duofold

Reaction score
Tried the Trappists for the 1st time this weekend - Chimay Grande Reserve & Westmalle Trippel. Not a beer drinker, but these went down with ease despite the higher abv.

Wife almost threw away both since I had them for awhile (over a year?) & forgot about 'em. Glad they were saved.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
I don't deny my first post was snarky (imagine, a fruit beer having a strong fruity taste), but I didn't realize that calling someone a "***" was considered snarky by anyone old enough to drink. I stand corrected, and the bar is lowered.

This is stupid and the thread shouldn't get derailed because of us. Your response was the equivalent of "like, duh" so I replied with a similarly weak response on purpose - case closed. I can do witty snark when the situation warrents it.

To get back on topic I plan on having a glass or two of Duvel tonight which is currently my favorite beer, though I don't discriminate among the other Belgians.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TM79
To get back on topic I plan on having a glass or two of Duvel tonight which is currently my favorite beer, though I don't discriminate among the other Belgians.

Try it at cellar temp or slightly cooler. Completely different beer.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Ok, Huntsman is in the house...(and yes the color is correct)

dsc0848yl0.jpg

This is one of the few blue cocktails, the flight-era Aviation (so named for its grey-blue hue). The blue is created with the easy-to-find but hard-to-procure liqueur Creme de Violette -- a violet flavored spirit. The base spirit is gin, spiked with lemon juice, and sweetened with the unusual cherry-based Italian liqueur known as Maraschino (long a cocktail mainstay). It is an odd drink. No two ways about it. If interested there is an excellent article about the drink by a superb bartender by the name of Robert Heugel of Beaver's in Houston -- available at www.drinkdogma.com. My recipe is a variation of his.

2 oz Beefeater's Gin (tried a few and liked this one even over Junipero)
0.5 oz Lemon Juice, strained of pulp
0.375oz Creme de Violette
2 Teaspoons Luxardo Maraschino
up to 0.5 teaspoon simple syrup to correct the lemon

Shake briefly but vigorously and strain well into a cocktail glass.

It is an unusual drink, the green of the gin balanced by the acid of the lemon and the floral notes of the violette, which is supplanted by the weirdness of the Maraschino. Worth trying for something amusing to have on a summer's night. Chicago, NYC and SanFran SFers should have no difficulty locating Violette.

~ Huntsman

Ok, I'm sold then. Next trip to the cand...eh liquor store...

~Huntsman

I just followed your recipe and did not get that color (mine is pink from the maraschino
facepalm.gif
) thoughts?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
ok, i did the wrong thing - i bought their actual cherries and used the juice
facepalm.gif
instead of the liqeur!

You should immediately delete both posts so there is no evidence.
laugh.gif

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
ok, i did the wrong thing - i bought their actual cherries and used the juice
facepalm.gif
instead of the liqeur!

That's pretty funny. No shame - now you know.
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A mint julep, with a *gasp* wedge of lemon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had myself my version of a Tango Manhattan.

.25 oz Luxardo
1 oz Vya sweet
2 oz Cask 16 Crown Royal
eye dropper of VTR bitters

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads