• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ilprescelto
I got the 710's in the mail. They're basically amazing, but they're too small; I can barely button them up, and only if I wear them really high. After a soak, I would guess they would get even smaller; I remember my Dry Bones fitting similarly when I got them, but I'm assuming the Samurais won't stretch out nearly as much because they're so much heavier.
I got a 33. I'm for sure getting a 34 instead... Maybe a 35?

what's your normal waist size? which lot# did you get? the denim stretches out a ton after multiple washes. eg, i'm normally tagged W33 on most japs__ on 710 lot 9&11 = W33 :: lot 10 = W34

ilprescelto

Reaction score
I have a 32 in superfuture Dry Bones; my waist is 34-35. The samurais are lot 13. I thought it wouldn't stretch compared to my dry bones, for example, because the're heavier. I mean, they barely fit now, and I thought they would only get smaller after a shrink.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
cool, thanks for the responses Mlyn and Mistral. Now that I know they're saniforized, I'm all good. I wasn't sure if because they were raw that maybe they weren't. Alright, off to the beach to go make them look unique... I'm kidding.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 32 in superfuture Dry Bones; my waist is 34-35. The samurais are lot 13. I thought it wouldn't stretch compared to my dry bones, for example, because the're heavier. I mean, they barely fit now, and I thought they would only get smaller after a shrink.
sorry__ edit: [typo] i meant TTS @W33 on lot 9&11... only cuz i don't really like super slim fit. most kids size down on these [some even down -2: if body built is on the lean side], cuz they do tend to stretch a lot post break in__ don't let the thickness fool you. check SuFu threads for more fit photos & feedbacks from owners.

anyway, here's my TTS fit right after a wash : [Xposted]
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
height= 5'11" :: weight= 180 lbs approx. :: jeans size= W33 x 32 [33-34 w/cuff]

Samurai s710 :: 19oz :: TTS @W33 lot 9 [could've sized down 1]
710fit.jpg

2.5 yrs :: current measurements : w= 34, ins= 33.75 , f/r= 11, b/r= 14.5, u/t= 12, kn= 8.5, l/o= 7.5

Embargo63

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

As far as 501s go, are the red tab pair sold at J Crew at $95 the same as those sold at Kohls and other dept. stores at $49? Kohls site calls them straight leg and button-fly and from what I recall, that matches what I saw at Crew a couple weeks back.

What is it about the J Crew pair of 501 red tabs that justifies the price difference?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will starching my APC NSs help w/contrast and all that good stuff?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like mlyngard, IIIrd, and Kit should probably just write a "guide to wearing your ******* jeans." Seriously, in every single thread I read there's a question I'm tempted to answer just by quoting something you guys have already posted. I.E. mlyngard's epic post about starch literally yesterday. ****.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Update on the fit, after the comments I got about them being to wide. Threw them in the washing machine and this is how it turned out, LVC 1947 501 btw...

16iryn8.jpg

Better?

I think that fit is fantastic, especially for the first week he's wearing the jeans. There's always a spin in the dryer if they stretch out too much.

You went TTS or one-up?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My DBs also stretched a lot, but my 15.7oz Momotaro stretch almost none. Weight has nothing to do with it - tightness of weave does. I'd be patient with those, from what I hear about 710 denim. Especially if you plan to wear them for extended periods without washing, since they'll stretch and you'll be wearing them in stretched-out state most often. If you plan to wash often, you may want to sell and size up one. You may want to make one of these, and then soak them again and stretch that waist out. Seriously - why endure the discomfort...
Originally Posted by Embargo63
Gentlemen, As far as 501s go, are the red tab pair sold at J Crew at $95 the same as those sold at Kohls and other dept. stores at $49? Kohls site calls them straight leg and button-fly and from what I recall, that matches what I saw at Crew a couple weeks back. What is it about the J Crew pair of 501 red tabs that justifies the price difference?
I think, but I'm not totally certain: The $98 JCrew version is Cone Mills US-made denim, but not Cone's selvage shuttle-loom variety. It's basically the Levis selvage 501 but with a JCrew wash and no selvage. So - it's JCrew's $98 501 better denim that the Mexico-made $46 501 STF, but not using the better selvage Cone Mills denim found on their $135 to $265 ones. It's also not the LVC '47 501, which is a historical repro. The JCrew 501s are the modern fit. I'd say the Levis selvage 501 might be a better value if you want selvage denim. You're not paying for the JCrew exclusive wash, and you get selvage denim. That said, I don't know where the Levis website selvage comes from - it states imported, which probably means not Cone Mills. Confusing, I know... I think this info is accurate but I may not be totally correct here...

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
I think that fit is fantastic, especially for the first week he's wearing the jeans. There's always a spin in the dryer if they stretch out too much.

You went TTS or one-up?

Thanks mlyngard =) By the way, to answer your question, I went one up.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Just got my KZO central denim pants. I think I sized them as well as possible but the cut is a bit odd, they have about an inch extra at the waist and some room in the top block, slim on the thighs, then straight from the knees down. Contemplating if a hot soak would help shrink them in the areas that could use it.

riverrun

Reaction score
Cross-poast.

Originally Posted by riverrun
I need to get another pair of denim. Currently wear APC NS and like them - I might just get another pair but ideally something with a bit more interesting denim and possibly a bit more taper might be better, if I could find it. Only other raw denim I've tried is pure blue japan 005s, which I got bc the rough denim was so cool, but I almost never wear them bc the straight leg looks a bit flared even though its not and bc the top part is a bit too low and tight for me. Any recommendations on something not too far in cut from the NS (err on the side of more taper and no shorter rise bc I'm tall) but maybe a bit more unusual denim? I was thinking LVC but they seem too baggy / full. Something like these would be good I think if the rise were a bit longer.

At this point I'm thinking samurai 710's might work...

the_pole

Reaction score
I have PBJ 005's or w.e there called but i have a problem ...sort off , the fit seems of to be like the leg opening is a bit to wide for my liking , would you guess advise that i get them tapered , i was thinking about tapering them from the inside since the outside hem is twisted a bit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads