I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. FilthyLucre

FilthyLucre New Member

Girl parachuting into your forums with a question about this pair of jeans for women: Levi's Selvedge Skinny - Rinse Awesome! They are only $80! If I'm understanding correctly, the term "selvedge" (or selvage) refers to the textile, in particular how it was woven. "Raw" is just another way of saying "unwashed." So, a pair of jeans might be raw, but not selvedge; selvedge, but washed; or both raw and selvedge. So, any tricks for determining which one of those three categories these jeans fall into? I suspect that they fall into the second category, based on the other pair they offer in this style: Levi's Selvedge Skinny - Au Lait If they are selvedge, but washed, how should I approach picking a size? Would the "go down two sizes" rule apply here? Levi's says to go down one size, but from seeing you guys post pictures of how much your APC, Nudie, etc. jeans stretched out, that seems like a recipe for baggy jeans. Or does the fact that they are washed (probably) mean that they've already shrunk a bit in the Levi's factory? With only three people commenting on the fit online, it's hard to say... Thank you in advance, stylish men! (By the way, you all have much better taste than the girl-oriented fashion forums, where everyone has horrible taste in shoes. [​IMG])

2. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

both those jeans are pre washed as the first one you posted has the 'Rinsed' tag and the second one is obviously predistressed if you want raw selvedge jeans for women you need to look at other brands. superfuture's denim board has an entire thread dedicated to womens raw jeans. click here! also a pair of jeans being 'selvedge' says absolutely nothing about the quality of the denim or the construction of the jeans altogether. it only means that the jeans were made from denim that was woven on narrow shuttle looms.

3. DenimFreak411

DenimFreak411 Well-Known Member

Hey guys

Need a little help here. So I just purchased a pair of 3sixteen ST-100x's in size 30. I have to use effort in buttoning them up ALL THE WAY, including the button fly and such. Anyways, my incentive for the fit I want is a relatively relaxed waist. I heard the 3sixteen ST-100x's don't stretch as much. Think I should go true size and return them for a 31? Since they don't stretch as much?

Thanks guys.

4. John_Edward

John_Edward Senior member

Question about raw denim and hemming/tailor:

Bought a pair of New Standards last year in size 33. Reckoned 32 would be better but no stock was meant to arrive.

Have now got a pair at 31, but if I'm honest, 30 would've done as well.

The size 33 are well baggy and I'd like to have them taken if that's at all possible. Not sure how much can be done or if it should be done. I never roll the cuffs up on these so I'm not fussy about the redline/selfedge. I've had them for a year, well worn, soaked once, dry-cleaned once. In their present state, I'd only wear them if I were in a rush and chucking on a t-shirt.

5. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^tailoring would be a losing proposition. you got your new [better fitting] jeans, just sell them. if i were you, i'd put aside what it's going to cost to have them tailored. then, add the proceeds from the pair you're selling__ and you got your self funds for another pair [if you desire].

6. John_Edward

^tailoring would be a losing proposition. you got your new [better fitting] jeans, just sell them. if i were you, i'd put aside what it's going to cost to have them tailored. then, add the proceeds from the pair you're selling__ and you got your self funds for another pair [if you desire].

I hadn't considered the possibility that someone'd want to buy them.

What do you reckon it would cost to a tailor work on them? $40+? You've got a point. Thanks.

7. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Thanks for the help guys, I decided the Nudie Slim Jim dry black coated is the perfect jawn for me. If anyone owns it, can they tell me if it's a raw jean? Some sources say they're washed... Also, I can't find a decent up close photo, do they have a black warp and weft? Or just warp? Thanks to anyone who knows. [​IMG]

8. RAM1988

RAM1988 Well-Known Member

Hi guys. gotta question for ya.. to what extent are the following pieces related in their cut/style:

SEXI08
    IH 301
    Samurai 710

I'm interested because I enjoyed how the imperials fit and looked when I was in self edge soho a few months back. I'm interested in going with a heavier denim though. since i haven't tried on the IH or samurais, can anyone provide some color on how similar/dissimar the three are? Also, what can be expected in terms of quality, fade, etc? thanks in advance guys.

Ryan

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

You're such a junkie. Watertight reasoning though.
    I hadn't considered the possibility that someone'd want to buy them. What do you reckon it would cost to a tailor work on them? $40+? You've got a point. Thanks.
    IIIrd is always right. The alterations you're talking about are immensely extensive and jeans aren't designed to be altered like that. To modify any garment three sizes should tell you to sell and cut your losses. $40 isn't close. You'd have to deconstruct the jeans. But $40 is also 1/4 of the cost of a new pair of APC. The resale value on APC is better than most here because it's a great moderately-priced starter jean. Resale on almost all good denim here can fetch as much as 30-40% new value for used jeans. It's relative, of course, but with patience, you can sell them. Patience and good pictures. I've sold many things here. It's worth the labor investment the first time to get acclimated to the Buy&Sell forum, get a photo-host, take the pics. (or save them and don't sell - you never know...)

10. kevinbrownshakedown

kevinbrownshakedown Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys, I decided the Nudie Slim Jim dry black coated is the perfect jawn for me. If anyone owns it, can they tell me if it's a raw jean? Some sources say they're washed... Also, I can't find a decent up close photo, do they have a black warp and weft? Or just warp?

Thanks to anyone who knows. [​IMG]

They're raw. They have 'dry' in the name. Black warp, white weft.

11. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Girl parachuting into your forums with a question about this pair of jeans for women:

Levi's Selvedge Skinny - Rinse

Awesome! They are only $80!

If I'm understanding correctly, the term "selvedge" (or selvage) refers to the textile, in particular how it was woven. "Raw" is just another way of saying "unwashed." So, a pair of jeans might be raw, but not selvedge; selvedge, but washed; or both raw and selvedge.

So, any tricks for determining which one of those three categories these jeans fall into? I suspect that they fall into the second category, based on the other pair they offer in this style:

Levi's Selvedge Skinny - Au Lait

If they are selvedge, but washed, how should I approach picking a size? Would the "go down two sizes" rule apply here? Levi's says to go down one size, but from seeing you guys post pictures of how much your APC, Nudie, etc. jeans stretched out, that seems like a recipe for baggy jeans. Or does the fact that they are washed (probably) mean that they've already shrunk a bit in the Levi's factory? With only three people commenting on the fit online, it's hard to say...

Thank you in advance, stylish men! (By the way, you all have much better taste than the girl-oriented fashion forums, where everyone has horrible taste in shoes. [​IMG])

You are correct that those are selvedge but rinsed. Judging by the fact that Levi added "stretch" to these jeans and that denim always stretches with wear I would size down probably two sizes. Your best bet would be to go to a Levi's store if you can and try them on, because the sizing can be inconsistent.

The jeans look great, I need to show these to my girlfriend! And welcome to the forum!

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

You are correct that those are selvedge but rinsed. Judging by the fact that Levi added "stretch" to these jeans and that denim always stretches with wear I would size down probably two sizes. Your best bet would be to go to a Levi's store if you can and try them on, because the sizing can be inconsistent. The jeans look great, I need to show these to my girlfriend! And welcome to the forum!
    You just want to see a girl in tight jeans [​IMG] General protip here is not to suggest sizing unless you've worn the jeans. Unless those are vanity sized like APC, down two might be horribly tight and I doubt they would stretch enough to ever be comfortable. Jeans also shrink back to starting size, and most girls I know wash (and even dry) their jeans regularly. Sizing down is generally best done with jeans you'll wash less often and that stretch more. The added elastaine in the material has less to do with sizing and more to do with keeping the shape of the cut when it's worn for extended periods. And also because girl's jeans are by nature more fitted and girls don't usually tolerate baggy jeans with knee bulge and a saggy seat.

13. John_Edward

You're such a junkie. Watertight reasoning though.
    The alterations you're talking about are immensely extensive and jeans aren't designed to be altered like that. To modify any garment three sizes should tell you to sell and cut your losses. $40 isn't close. You'd have to deconstruct the jeans.

But $40 is also 1/4 of the cost of a new pair of APC. The resale value on APC is better than most here because it's a great moderately-priced starter jean. Resale on almost all good denim here can fetch as much as 30-40% new value for used jeans. It's relative, of course, but with patience, you can sell them. Patience and good pictures. I've sold many things here. It's worth the labor investment the first time to get acclimated to the Buy&Sell forum, get a photo-host, take the pics.

(or save them and don't sell - you never know...)

Would've easily moved on with anything else, but it's hard to give something up after you've invested considerable time into it. I should know better than to fall victim to sunk-costs.

Cheers for sorting me out. Selling's definitely worth a punt.

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I'd still wear them, my KMWs are 2 sizes (3") up in the waist and 2" down in the inseam and I still rock them lol (they're also full of holes and the back right pocket is nearly non-existent) but they're sooooooooooo ridiculously soft and comfy

15. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

You just want to see a girl in tight jeans [​IMG] General protip here is not to suggest sizing unless you've worn the jeans. Unless those are vanity sized like APC, down two might be horribly tight and I doubt they would stretch enough to ever be comfortable. Jeans also shrink back to starting size, and most girls I know wash (and even dry) their jeans regularly. Sizing down is generally best done with jeans you'll wash less often and that stretch more.

The added elastaine in the material has less to do with sizing and more to do with keeping the shape of the cut when it's worn for extended periods. And also because girl's jeans are by nature more fitted and girls don't usually tolerate baggy jeans with knee bulge and a saggy seat.

You caught me [​IMG] That's why I recommended trying them on first to see if the sizing was consistent. I was also assuming she would wear them similar to how we do, with minimal washing and drying. But I can see how that might be unappealing to a woman.