• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weight training regiment for beginner?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please recommend a program for me. I'm willing to go to the gym 6 days a week, but only for half an hour at a time. Never mind the cardio, I get that from playing sports and am already thin enough.

On the websites I've seen they recommend 15-25 reps per set for a beginner at 50% of one's max, but I'm looking for someone to give me a specific regiment for 6 days per week, half an hour a day. If anyone can help or post a link I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

studyscoot

Reaction score
Your best workout would depend on your goals. Do you want maximum strength, or maximum (muscle) size? Both occur most at the 3-20 rep range.

You gain maximum strength at sets of 3-8 reps. You gain maximum size at rep ranges 12-20. Anything over that is probably not effective for either. See the following chart.

See this chart

For workout programs, I would advise 5 sets of 5 reps (5X5). If you are just going for size, which I think is pretty silly, I would advise 3 sets of 12 reps (3X12). Either way, you'll want to stick to the compound lifts, so start with Overhead Press, Squat, Deadlift, Bench, and work up to powercleans. AVOID MACHINES. They are largely ineffective for most lifters.

Google "Starting Strength" and download it. It will instruct you how to properly lift. Best resource out there.

AFG34

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
Please recommend a program for me. I'm willing to go to the gym 6 days a week, but only for half an hour at a time. Never mind the cardio, I get that from playing sports and am already thin enough.

On the websites I've seen they recommend 15-25 reps per set for a beginner at 50% of one's max, but I'm looking for someone to give me a specific regiment for 6 days per week, half an hour a day. If anyone can help or post a link I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

whats your weight, height etc now?

and what's your goal?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys.

i never know if it's regimen or regiment. i see it written both ways.

right now i'm too thin and i want to get bigger. i'll concern myself with getting ripped later on. i have the type of musician body that looks cool when you're 22, but i'm 34 now and want to fill out.

i found this somewhere:

MONDAY\t\t\t\tCHEST/DELTOIDS/TRICEPS

TUESDAY\t\t\t\tLEGS/ABS

WEDNESDAY\t\t\tBACK/BICEPS

THURSDAY\t\t\tCHEST/DELTOIDS/TRICEPS

FRIDAY\t\t\t\tLEGS/ABS

SATURDAY\t\t\tBACK/BICEPS

that's what the guy recommends for someone who doesn't want to spend too much time at the gym but is willing to go 6 days per week. any thoughts?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're either gonna burn out in 1 month or you're not going to see any results.

You need to start going and see what works for you and take it from there, not follow some generic routine on the internet.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read everything on stronglifts.com and then buy Starting Strength off Amazon.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
thanks for the advice guys.

i never know if it's regimen or regiment. i see it written both ways.

right now i'm too thin and i want to get bigger. i'll concern myself with getting ripped later on. i have the type of musician body that looks cool when you're 22, but i'm 34 now and want to fill out.

i found this somewhere:

MONDAY\t\t\t\tCHEST/DELTOIDS/TRICEPS

TUESDAY\t\t\t\tLEGS/ABS

WEDNESDAY\t\t\tBACK/BICEPS

THURSDAY\t\t\tCHEST/DELTOIDS/TRICEPS

FRIDAY\t\t\t\tLEGS/ABS

SATURDAY\t\t\tBACK/BICEPS

that's what the guy recommends for someone who doesn't want to spend too much time at the gym but is willing to go 6 days per week. any thoughts?

This routine will kill you if you're a beginner. I'd suggest instead of 6x/week, do 3x/week. Your muscles will need more time to recover if you're just getting into this. As you get more comfortable with the routine, you can go forward with hitting each muscle group 2x/week or more.

doug funnie

Reaction score
Working in the 15 to 25 rep range and performing each set to near failure is a way to try to force muscle growth through sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. As a rank beginner it is very unlikely that you would posses the natural strength/coordination necessary to see significant benefits from this type of training. What works best for a huge majority of beginners is to do sets of 3 to 5 heavy reps, which builds strength and coordination (and will certainly lead to some increase in muscle size). After training this way for several months you can reevaluate what exactly your goals are, and tailor your program to fit them. Someone mentioned a program called Starting Strength. I would highly recommend buying this book, reading it cover to cover and absorbing it, and following the author's advice. I have never heard of anyone who did this program, which takes about 1.5 hrs 3 days a week, that didn't see significant muscle and strength gain from day 1. The actual time spent in the gym is only a part of the equation however. The other half is making sure that you're doing everything necessary to properly recover from the workouts. 8 hours of sleep, and consuming more calories than you burn (with a lot of protein) is requisite for anyone looking to gain muscle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads