• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Kookz

Reaction score
Somehow, sitting on a ship off the coast of Africa, I made an impulse buy the other day. I found the bike online, wired the money to a friend, and that evening he rode it home to stuff in his garage for a month or so until I can pick it up. It's an 06 Sport 1000, the only year they made them with the dry clutch and single shock. It couldn't make any less sense for me to own one of these in the US, given that I have spent all of 8 days there in the last 2 years, but who said anything about motorcycles made sense? Crappy picture, but my friend picking it up.
4423653105_4e15cf6422_b.jpg

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking up motorcycles soon, as soon as classes are offered. I'd appreciate a suggestion for a place to order helmets from.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Well, there are endless places to buy helmets online but my advice is to go to your local shop and try some on. You're also going to have to decide what type of helmet to get i.e., full-face, open-face, etc
I wanted a full-face and to me, Shoei and Arai both make awesome helmets. After days of trying different models of both brands, it became clear that I have an Arai shaped head. I went with it and could not be happier with it. Fit is very important so try on as many as you can.
I bought my helmet from Bikebandit.com because they had the best deal on it. I also shopped Cyclegear, Helmet City, Dennis Kirk and more than a few others that I can't remember right now.

tom10167

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I'm thinking of taking up motorcycles soon, as soon as classes are offered. I'd appreciate a suggestion for a place to order helmets from.

don't order a helmet online. You aren't a medium just because you think you are. This thread is very long and I've read nothing but the last page but here is some really good information:

GO TO A HELMET SHOP.

Try on a helmet, wear it for at least ten minutes. It should be TIGHT. Really tight. A little "too" tight. Slightly uncomfortable but sharp pain that you don't feel until after a few minutes is the enemy. The padding in helmets will gradually break in, so you get a little more room than you think at first.

Different helmet companies are shaped for different heads. Arai, the most expensive production helmet company, makes helmets for different shaped heads. A comfortable helmet is a must, and go for a visible one. Matte black being the worst.

Here are some pics

005-7.jpg

motivator647d28c655f2e9a0c7a608f65e.jpg

winter.jpg

motivator694cc3a425434f02d1d378fd40.jpg

009-4.jpg

Certified pic whore!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom10167
don't order a helmet online. You aren't a medium just because you think you are. This thread is very long and I've read nothing but the last page but here is some really good information:

GO TO A HELMET SHOP.

Try on a helmet, wear it for at least ten minutes. It should be TIGHT. Really tight. A little "too" tight. Slightly uncomfortable but sharp pain that you don't feel until after a few minutes is the enemy. The padding in helmets will gradually break in, so you get a little more room than you think at first.

Different helmet companies are shaped for different heads. Arai, the most expensive production helmet company, makes helmets for different shaped heads. A comfortable helmet is a must, and go for a visible one. Matte black being the worst.

Thanks for the advice. Expanding on equipment, how much should I expect to spend for decent but not top-shelf gear? Keep in mind I'll be a casual motorcycle rider at best. Also, I don't like logos.

rohde88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Thanks for the advice. Expanding on equipment, how much should I expect to spend for decent but not top-shelf gear? Keep in mind I'll be a casual motorcycle rider at best. Also, I don't like logos.

Helmet should be around $200-300 for a reliable, safe solid color (solids are cheaper).
Gloves: $75-150 for full gauntlet leather
Jacket $350ish for full leather and armor
Boots around $200
Pants are going to be up to you, jeans, riding jeans, chaps, what have you.

tom10167

Reaction score
Eh I guess it depends on what you're going for. My alpinestar recons
Alpinestars_Recon_Waterproof_Boots_Black_detail.jpg
Were like $100 or so. They aren't the highest protecting boots, but they do fairly well, are high tops(will stay on at 80mph crashes) and, importantly for me, are comfortable to walk around in. I feel you can certainly get a jacket for under $350. Mine was $450 new and I got it for $200 because it was a last year model(Shift octane) I'd strongly advise to stay away from chaps and get armored riding pants. Dress for the fall, not the ride. Plus, I get compliments(and looks) all. the. time. when I'm walking around in full gear, carrying my helmet. Girls eat that **** up. I advise you get pants and a jacket from the same company, they'll zip together in the back, which will prevent your jacket from sliding up on a crash. What good is a back protector if it's pulled over your head like an atomic wedgie? You can definitely get gloves for $40-$80. With gloves, again, I can't urge enough how important it is to try them on in a store. Online sizing charts can be inaccurate. Go to the shop that you tried the helmet on and try on gloves. Ask the guy if he minds if you grab his handlebar to get a feel. A glove changes shape dramatically when it's curved and clenched around a grip. He won't mind. After that, buy the gloves from there. They helped you out a lot, it's good to support local business once in a while. I usually wear no underwear or pants, under my riding pants, sometimes I wear underwear. Pants, pull up wick-away socks, Alpinestar recons, fieldsheer bandit gloves, Shoei RF-1100.(It complies with the updated Snell standards, and it vents very well) Shift Octane Jacket and some shift pants I got for $200. I can definitely be sitting around in all of it for a few hours and not really care unless I'm in a warm room. I wear a plain t-shirt underneath and something people forget is earplugs. Wind on a bike is real, real loud. Hearing damaged is occured from either very loud sound, or moderate sound sustained for long periods of time. Riding on the highway is considered on the border between medium and loud, doing this for 25 minutes at a time is going to add up. Earplugs are $5 for a pack of em, I stick them in my pocket when I dismount, and I can still hear a luxury car creeping up on me even if I don't see it. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ Good vendors.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rohde88
Helmet should be around $200-300 for a reliable, safe solid color (solids are cheaper).
Gloves: $75-150 for full gauntlet leather
Jacket $350ish for full leather and armor
Boots around $200
Pants are going to be up to you, jeans, riding jeans, chaps, what have you.

Just haunt the clearance/sale sections of Cycle Gear, Newenough, Motorcycle Superstore, etc. You could probably half those prices with some careful purchasing.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom10167

GO TO A HELMET SHOP.

Here are some pics

005-7.jpg

motivator647d28c655f2e9a0c7a608f65e.jpg

winter.jpg

motivator694cc3a425434f02d1d378fd40.jpg

009-4.jpg

Certified pic whore!

V-Star 650 Custom, right?

I almost bought one a week ago, still thinking about it. How do you like it? I'm a bit worried about the small engine and sustaining a good cruising speed with a bit of reserve for lets say weekend trips..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rohde88
Helmet should be around $200-300 for a reliable, safe solid color (solids are cheaper). Gloves: $75-150 for full gauntlet leather Jacket $350ish for full leather and armor Boots around $200 Pants are going to be up to you, jeans, riding jeans, chaps, what have you.
You recommend relatively expensive (for a new rider) stuff but are ok with jeans? Really? You can spend $500 total if you shop smart for a full helmet/jacket/pants/boots/gloves set. I wanted an all black heavy duty outfit for longer rides (when I wanted total protection) and cold weather, and I probably spend $450 for all five items, including a nice helmet, solid textile jacket + pants (both with removable linings and pretty heavy armor in all the right places + zip together (key!)), real moto boots and gauntlet gloves. Obviously have to hunt clearances/sales a bit but its not impossible. motorcycle-superstore and bikebandit are your best friends. Also if you are committed to getting a motorcycle, get your gear BEFORE you buy the bike.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Also if you are committed to getting a motorcycle, get your gear BEFORE you buy the bike.

What's the thinking behind this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads