• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the total newb questions here:

I used to be an old uncool guy but I took Fok's recommendation a couple years ago and bought some APC New Standards and that transformed me into being young and cool again.

I need some new jeans and seeing as I live in Japan, I think it is time to move on to some Japanese denim.

The APC NS fit me real good, which Japanese brand and style would you recommend as most similar?

Lois

Reaction score
Hey, new here, was hoping to get some help to ID some denim.

I bought these Pure Blue Japan jeans used and they no longer fit so I'm looking for a new pair. But, I'm not sure what cut or colour they are.. I'm sure they're selvedge and indigo in colour and straight or slim fit but I need to find out what fit exactly so I can order a new pair.

Here's some pictures, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What do you mean "what color they are"? PBJ only has 2 standard colors, indigo and black. Then there are the 007 (indigo warpxweft, easy to recognize) and the 010 (indigo warpxpurple weft, easier to recognize)

Those are plain indigo....

Insight

Reaction score
Gents,

I'd like to buy some new denim. I'm 40, and not trying to pass for anything else. I've been a Levi's 505 guy most of my life, and looking for something new.

My criteria:
- not real baggy, and not real skinny
- fits kinda like my beloved 505's
- I'm not real price sensitive
- I believe cotton pants should be relatively low maintenance
- I'd prefer to avoid a painful break-in

My normal fit is 34 waist, 32 length. I'm 5' 10, and 190 lbs.

Any recommendations?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insight
Gents,

I'd like to buy some new denim. I'm 40, and not trying to pass for anything else. I've been a Levi's 505 guy most of my life, and looking for something new.

My criteria:

Any recommendations?

Not sure how 505's are cut, but the Iron Heart 634S would fit criteria 1,3,4, and 5. The denim is amazing and although they are a sturdy 20oz they are quite soft right from the start. I love them. For sizing, checking out the Self Edge website--they have a decent chart.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was referred here from 'have a question, get an answer' thread

I thrifted these size 30 APC New Standards and I believe they have been soaked once. As you can see, they're pretty much painted on in the seat, and they pull apart a bit at the buttons up front. Too small, or will they stretch to a decent fitting? I'm trying to decide whether to keep, flip, or trade.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do i do about these unsightly premature fades? the rest of the jeans is coming along fine

BossTweed

Reaction score
Trapp, they will look good. If you can button them up, which you clearly can, then they will stretch to accomodate you.

EDIT: I see you posted in another thread. I agree that they are too tight right now, but they will stretch; keep them. My APCs were tighter and have since stretched significantly.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
what do i do about these unsightly premature fades? the rest of the jeans is coming along fine

Man just ignore it. The whole point of this operation is to let the **** happen however it happens. If it bothers you that much just stop doing whatever caused it

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lois
Hey, new here, was hoping to get some help to ID some denim. I bought these Pure Blue Japan jeans used and they no longer fit so I'm looking for a new pair. But, I'm not sure what cut or colour they are.. I'm sure they're selvedge and indigo in colour and straight or slim fit but I need to find out what fit exactly so I can order a new pair.
Those are either the 003 or 005 model, based on the slubbyness (rough texture) the denm seems to have in the pictures, as well as the darker hue. The 003 is a more relaxed fit, the 005 is a very slim cut. Best to take a look at the size charts, measure your jeans and compare.
Gents, I'd like to buy some new denim. I'm 40, and not trying to pass for anything else. I've been a Levi's 505 guy most of my life, and looking for something new. My criteria: - not real baggy, and not real skinny - fits kinda like my beloved 505's - I'm not real price sensitive - I believe cotton pants should be relatively low maintenance - I'd prefer to avoid a painful break-in My normal fit is 34 waist, 32 length. I'm 5' 10, and 190 lbs. Any recommendations?
Can suggest Warehouse Dubbleworks 660, Momotaro 0701 (sized up one), Pure Blue Japan 006 and 008, Samurai S5000 series (there's different denims available), and tons more, like the Levis LVC 1947 cut (the all-time classic), Rag & Bone RB15, KMW 1950s.... Best to determine if you want a smooth, crisp denim, or a more textured, slubby denim. Then ask the shops (or here) for a 'slim straight' or 'slim tapered' cut. Also - very important- determine what type of rise you can tolerate. Low, mid or high rise. Also, measure your current jeans this way to get your baseline dimension preferences. Note: the term 'slim' is highly subjective. Those Warehouse are described as 'slim' but they're not close to slim for me. When comparing dimensions, even a 1/2" or 1" leg or rise measurement difference can mean a vastly different cut.
Originally Posted by Trapp
Was referred here from 'have a question, get an answer' thread I thrifted these size 30 APC New Standards and I believe they have been soaked once. As you can see, they're pretty much painted on in the seat, and they pull apart a bit at the buttons up front. Too small, or will they stretch to a decent fitting? I'm trying to decide whether to keep, flip, or trade.
They'll stretch out like a motherfucker. Give them a few weeks and you'll wonder why you worried they were tight...
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
Nuthin', and embrace it. Or dye them. That sucks, man.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Gents,

My criteria:

Any recommendations?

EP will have a new Hoyt model jean available in mid April. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...155729&page=12

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Nuthin', and embrace it. Or dye them. That sucks, man.

I was thinking of either dying them or going over them in contrast or black thread. How would i go about redying them? I don't really want to overdye them, there's no way to "spot-dye" them or anything is there?

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Man just ignore it. The whole point of this operation is to let the **** happen however it happens. If it bothers you that much just stop doing whatever caused it

What bothers me is that it looks too uneven with the color of the rest of the jean, and looks more like dust or dirt than natural fading.... I'm probably worrying about this too much, as I doubt other people will notice unless they look closely at my knees.

EDIT: sorry for double post

Ibrock

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of already worn APC NS off B&S a while back in my true waist, I knew they'd fit relaxed but I thought it would be a nice change from the slim-tapered type jeans I've been wearing for the last few years. This was about 6 months ago and I've hardly worn them because while I love the denim the fit from about the mid-thigh down just looks and feels too damn baggy.
8wfsyh.jpg
I found a tailor (via sufu) in my area thats recommended for doing alterations on denim and was thinking about getting a pretty gradual taper put in from a few inches above the knee down so that the hem is about 0.3/0.4 inches smaller when laid flat. This would make them match the cut I usually wear but would it be worth it? Do you guys think theres any life left in these jeans? I was thinking I'd probably starch them up after so I could get some of my own combs/creases going, would that work at all?

Kill_switch

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a pair of black mij raw diors size 28

Measurements of jeans:
Thigh- 10'
Hip- 16.5'
Waist- 15'

Measurements of my bare body I expect the thigh and hip to fluctuate since I'm cutting and losing bf.
Thigh- 11'
Hip- 16'
Waist- around 15'

A lot of the times in tighter jeans the top block tends to be too tight, mostly in the hip. From the hip down I can handle any amount of taper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads