I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sanamaro

sanamaro New Member

Does every pair of jeans go through a stretching phase more affectionately known as diaper butt? My best fit was R&R henlee, but I wanted to try other brands and purchased RRL, APC, and jean shop. I sized down accordingly but if the stretching does not subside I wasted my money. Does the stretch permanently go away after several washes? If not can someone recommend a similar fit to the R&R?

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

They are indeed plain indigo. I was under the impression there were variations on the standard colours other than those two. But they seem to be plain old indigo. Also, despite the handle I'm actually a dude so just to be sure these are definitely mens jeans aren't they? can you tell at a glance? The care label has only one set of digits which bring zero results on google. And what is the deal with the leaf/bluetab on the rear? Mine only have the tab. Thanks for the links. I think the 005 model is closet to mine having looked a those...they have a slight inward arc on the inside leg like my pair which the 003's don't have.
    Look at Blue in Green

3. Asch

Asch Senior member

Does every pair of jeans go through a stretching phase more affectionately known as diaper butt? My best fit was R&R henlee, but I wanted to try other brands and purchased RRL, APC, and jean shop. I sized down accordingly but if the stretching does not subside I wasted my money. Does the stretch permanently go away after several washes? If not can someone recommend a similar fit to the R&R?
    Even sanforized jeans do tend to shrink a bit after each of the first couple of hot soaks/washes, but it's not very substantial. Diaper-ass is not a "phase" in my opinion. If you're getting diaper ass, you simply need jeans that fit you better. I don't know about RRL and Jean Shop, but APCs always look awful in the ass, unless you're going for the slouchy look. It's a function of their pocket placement, mostly.

4. Ibrock

Ibrock Senior member

Were they like that when you first purchased them? If it's something that showed up over time they should go back to the original fit after a wash/soak and then slowly stretch out again, at which point you can wash/soak them again and so on. If they were like that from the beginning they probably won't get too much tighter, maybe if you throw them in the dryer you might get some significant shrinkage but I don't think that's usually recommended.

5. sanamaro

sanamaro New Member

Were they like that when you first purchased them? If it's something that showed up over time they should go back to the original fit after a wash/soak and then slowly stretch out again, at which point you can wash/soak them again and so on. If they were like that from the beginning they probably won't get too much tighter, maybe if you throw them in the dryer you might get some significant shrinkage but I don't think that's usually recommended.
    Thanks for responding...When I bought RRL and APC they both fit very well....the stretch developed over time. APC stretch was significant in the waist, thigh and leg area....after the first wash they both went back to normal then stretched out again.....maybe it is the thickness of the jean that does not allow it to settle...just seems like such a waste of cash just to get the right fit....thought I nailed the fit at the store and convinced myself that 225 for a pair of jeans that fit really well worth it.....Mauro has a smaller size on sale that I almost bought.. hence the reason for the thread, I was trying to figure out if it is the size or the cut....Asch thinks it is the cut, but they both fit in the store...crap how frustrating

6. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Senior member

So I think I'm ready to buy my next pair, my first being some N&F Weird Guy's.
    I have narrowed it down to these:
    Kicking Mule Workshop Limited Edition Left Hand Twill 1980 Slim Straight Raw Selvedge Indigo's
    KMW Rockers
    Left Field White Oak Cone American Raw Selvedge Denim in Indigo
    anyone have any recommendations?

7. todot62

todot62 Active Member

This may be a question that's been answered a dozen times. I did do a search but everything really seemed to be assumed and no real answer that I could tell.

Is there any difference between STFs made in Mexico, DR, or Haiti other than fit? Are any considered to be better "faders" than the other? In regards to fit, what seems to be the difference between the three? Also, while I have you, I went to a store that had all three, and some had an "R" on the red tab vs Levi, any difference there?

Thanks,
    Tod

8. D.Wiggs

D.Wiggs Active Member

Hello all! Complete Noob to this forum and I wanted to dive right in as I have a lot of questions! First off, I just want to say that this forum is truly amazing. I have never seen such a collection of detailed information on men's style before! On to my first quetsion...Jeans. I'm 6'4, 250 and am looking for a nice dressy dark indigo jean. Currently, my only pair of 'dress' jeans is an $800 pair from Zilli in London and I do not want to wear those all the time. the problem I run into is that, unlike a lot of men, I am not square-shaped from the waist down. My hips are significantly wider than my waist so I often end up with pants that fit well in the waist and way too tightly in the pocket/crotch area or pants than fit well in the pocket/crotch area but are huge in the waist. What kind of jeans are best for me to look at? i would like straight leg jeans, dark indigo in color. I range between a 38 and 42 waist depending on who makes the jeans and around a 34 inseam (I don't mind having them hemmed). Any and all information would be appreciated. I have tried searching the forums but the threads are SO LONG, I have to give up after a few hours. Also, please go easy on the forum terminology; I'm trying very hard to learn it![​IMG] Thanks in advance!

9. Macintosh

Macintosh Well-Known Member

I'm looking for:
    Quality
    Selvage
    Bootcut

pair of jeans to add my wardrobe. This will be my first pair of selvage.
    Sub $200 hopefully. I just dont want anything skin-tight.

10. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Senior member

I'm looking for:
    Quality
    Selvage
    Bootcut

pair of jeans to add my wardrobe. This will be my first pair of selvage.
    Sub $200 hopefully. I just dont want anything skin-tight.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881

11. Asch

Asch Senior member

Thanks for responding...When I bought RRL and APC they both fit very well....the stretch developed over time. APC stretch was significant in the waist, thigh and leg area....after the first wash they both went back to normal then stretched out again.....maybe it is the thickness of the jean that does not allow it to settle...just seems like such a waste of cash just to get the right fit....thought I nailed the fit at the store and convinced myself that 225 for a pair of jeans that fit really well worth it.....Mauro has a smaller size on sale that I almost bought.. hence the reason for the thread, I was trying to figure out if it is the size or the cut....Asch thinks it is the cut, but they both fit in the store...crap how frustrating
    Well, if your APCs fit "very well" when they were brand new, then you got the wrong size: APCs stretch a ton and should be tighter than you would prefer when you first buy them. Still, I've yet to see any photos of APCs without diaper-ass.

12. Macintosh

Macintosh Well-Known Member

Thanks. What's the difference between red selvage and others?

13. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Well, if your APCs fit "very well" when they were brand new, then you got the wrong size: APCs stretch a ton and should be tighter than you would prefer when you first buy them. Still, I've yet to see any photos of APCs without diaper-ass.

No diaper ass for me in my rescues. No, I'm not posting a pic

14. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

So I started with a pair of APC NS (28) and I love them. They were tight at first but are loosening up and the fit through the legs is something I like.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a sub $200 second pair of jeans? I want the fit to be similar but the jeans to be different enough from the dark indigo of the APCs.

I know there was a thread addressing this topic but I can't find it.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

How hard is it to search? There is a <$200 jeans thread