I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. DGP

DGP Senior member

You should probably head down to the APC store and try some on. If you're really that skinny, you may want the New Standard, but might also be happy with the Petit Standard (a bit lower/slimmer). I happen to think this is the best going-out jean they do, and I think the material probably will stay in "dressier" shape longer because they aren't all cotton:

http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/...tpiece=4%2C326

FYI, the NS is available in the same color, I just got a pair. The APC site has them at $240 and says they're 100% cotton, though the APC store and Barney's (BM & online) have them at $200 in the cotton polyurethane blend. I have that version.

2. jessetk313

jessetk313 Senior member

Skull 5010s have the similar boxy hip region with a slim top block, but a more severe taper from knee down. Make sure you size em right though.

Thanks. I am definitely going to look into them. I have one other question for anyone that can answer it. Is the LVC 1967 505 a slimmer fit than the APC NS? Or is the 67' similar to the LVC 47' just with a zipper?Very interested in those also.

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

no LVC cut is slimmer than APC. the 1967 has a higher rise, and roomier thigh and less taper. The 47 is definitely not slim like the APC NS, it has little to no taper from the knee down. oh and you should also take a look at Warehouse 660s. I just sold the pair in my sig, but you should check em out. Similar cut to the NS, better denim and better details.

4. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

I feel like I should know the answer to this question but...

What is the relationship between soaking and stretching? I've heard that part of the logic behind waiting 3 to 6 months to soak a pair of new raw jeans is that it minimizes stretching, and that if you soak right away the jeans stretch more. This doesn't make any sense to me. Is this true? Can someone explain this to me?

If it depends on the individual fabric, I own mostly Cone Mills and Kaihara selvedge (and have my eye on a new pair of jeans in one of those two denims).

5. PiperInAlberta

PiperInAlberta Senior member

find a good tailor, have him taper from the inseam, and youll be fine

One more stupid question...will the tapering process ruin that fancy selvage line on these jeans?

6. theom-

theom- Senior member

One more stupid question...will the tapering process ruin that fancy selvage line on these jeans?

not if you taper from the inseam. tapering from the outseam will lose the selvage.

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

I feel like I should know the answer to this question but...

What is the relationship between soaking and stretching? I've heard that part of the logic behind waiting 3 to 6 months to soak a pair of new raw jeans is that it minimizes stretching, and that if you soak right away the jeans stretch more. This doesn't make any sense to me. Is this true? Can someone explain this to me?

If it depends on the individual fabric, I own mostly Cone Mills and Kaihara selvedge (and have my eye on a new pair of jeans in one of those two denims).

In theory, soaking before should minimize stretching because the fabric is tightened, but honestly it depends more on the weight of the fabric, weight of the yarns, weave of the fabric, and whether it is RHT or LHT. The above statements only apply to sanforized jeans though. You should always soak unsanforized jeans.

8. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

In theory, soaking before should minimize stretching because the fabric is tightened, but honestly it depends more on the weight of the fabric, weight of the yarns, weave of the fabric, and whether it is RHT or LHT. The above statements only apply to sanforized jeans though. You should always soak unsanforized jeans.
    Let's say, for the sake of argument, 12oz Cone Mills sanforized denim and 14oz Kaihara sanforized denim.

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

That doesn't mean anything....

10. theom-

theom- Senior member

Let's say, for the sake of argument, 12oz Cone Mills sanforized denim and 14oz Kaihara sanforized denim.

really depends on the denim. Cone mills can have twenty different 12oz that all stretch a different amount. As a general statement I can guess that the 12oz MIGHT stretch more than and 14oz. that is a big MIGHT.

11. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Haha OK thanks I'll see how it goes

12. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

Hello all, I am looking at buying a pair of nice jeans. This will probably be the first time I have spent over $60 on a pair of pants, so I am trying to be well informed first.
    Ive browsed a lot and two models that seem to fit the bill are:

-Flathead 3005 and
    -Pure Blue Japan xx-003

The reason Ive chosen those two is that they are a fairly straight cut (Im not looking for slim) and seem to have great color and texture to the denim.

My other two concerns will be fit and durability. Are either of these known to fall apart excessively quick or to be very tough?
    Also I dont want a big poochy seat. My little heiney gets lost in those big anti-fit jeans (like 501's). Either of those ones better fitted in the seat? Any other suggestions that might meet those criteria as well?
    Thanks.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hello all, I am looking at buying a pair of nice jeans. This will probably be the first time I have spent over $60 on a pair of pants, so I am trying to be well informed first.

-Flathead 3005 and
    -Pure Blue Japan xx-003

The reason Ive chosen those two is that they are a fairly straight cut (Im not looking for slim) and seem to have great color and texture to the denim.

My other two concerns will be fit and durability. Are either of these known to fall apart excessively quick or to be very tough?
    Also I dont want a big poochy seat. My little heiney gets lost in those big anti-fit jeans (like 501's). Either of those ones better fitted in the seat? Any other suggestions that might meet those criteria as well?
    Thanks.

You'll be more than happy with both from a durability point of view. The fit in the top block might or might not be snug enough (it's subjective and also depends on how you choose to size them). But both are much better than most straight leg cuts I've tried. You might also want to consider the Skull jeans 5507 model.

14. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

-Flathead 3005 and
    -Pure Blue Japan xx-003

Thanks.

Check out the threads on Epaulet's jeans. They're about to bring out a new cut, less slim in the leg. I think you might also like Rag & Bone RB15. They may not have quite the denim quality of PBJ or Flathead, but I think their fits are spot on.

15. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

Thanks for the replies.
    I'll look into some of the others also.