• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bill-

I've always wanted an annual calendar, but til now the options were limited to a PP5146 or FPJ Octa Calendrier, neither of which really did it for me. I never cared for how PP simply grabbed the 315 movement from the 5035 and enlarged the case - leaves the subdial unbalanced in the 5146. Had some reliability issues with my FPJ CS, and while I like the retrograde date on the Calendrier, somehow it always bothered me that the date hand crosses over the day and month apertures.

Lange makes my favorite moonphase, and the combination of the big date and the clean, timeless dial make this a winner IMO.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a nice video on seiko spring drive technology:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Look at how smoothly that second hand sweeps - nothing ETA has produced is this smooth from what I have seen:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Even their quartz watches are so nice - look at how nicely the seconds hand aligns with the marks. Now show me a ETA movement that does anything close!

And here is a nice writeup by Seiya-san:
http://www32.ocn.ne.jp/~kseiya/gs/

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here? This grand seiko spring drive(with a brown shell cordo strap) is my current dream watch:

No, you're not the only one. And that Grand Seiko is gorgeous
inlove.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Look at how smoothly that second hand sweeps - nothing ETA has produced is this smooth from what I have seen . . .
This comment doesn't really make much sense. The seconds hand of an ETA mechanical movements obviously won't sweep as smoothly--but neither will that of a Patek movement. Since they are fully mechanical, their beat rate is going to be much slower. The technologies you are comparing are completely different and the difference you're talking about says nothing about quality or refinement. Keep in mind: the fact that the seconds hand on a typical quartz watch steps from second to second is actually considered a horological advancement compared to the smoother sweep of the seconds hand on a mechanical watch, as it more clearly indicates the seconds as they pass. It takes more complexity and energy consumption to make step seconds work on a mechanical movement, so it is rarely done. If a quartz watch manufacturer wanted to make a watch with a smoothly sweeping seconds hand, it would be very easy to do so.
Even their quartz watches are so nice - look at how nicely the seconds hand aligns with the marks. Now show me a ETA movement that does anything close!
Again, that says little to nothing about movement quality. Whether the seconds hand lines up with the dial markers has much more to do with calibration after the movement has been manufactured.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This comment doesn't really make much sense. The seconds hand of an ETA mechanical movements obviously won't sweep as smoothly--but neither will that of a Patek movement. Since they are fully mechanical, their beat rate is going to be much slower. The technologies you are comparing are completely different and the difference you're talking about says nothing about quality or refinement.

Keep in mind: the fact that the seconds hand on a typical quartz watch steps from second to second is actually considered a horological advancement compared to the smoother sweep of the seconds hand on a mechanical watch, as it more clearly indicates the seconds as they pass. It takes more complexity and energy consumption to make step seconds work on a mechanical movement, so it is rarely done. If a quartz watch manufacturer wanted to make a watch with a smoothly sweeping seconds hand, it would be very easy to do so.

Case aesthetics apart, can you explain a little more on what you mean by quality/refinement in this context?

The seiko spring drive is mechanical too - no need for an external battery. Also, all spring drives are hand assembled from what I understand. I specifically posted the spring drive to point out that Seiko's in-house movements are comparable (if not better) than swiss ETAs that go in other luxury watches.

If we were discussing step seconds, we would be arguing about which quartz movement is better :) Quartz watches are easily more accurate at a fraction of the cost, no question. However, I don't think it is easy for a simple quartz watch to mimic the perfect sweeping of the spring drive grand seiko ... the spring drive has a quartz crystal (that is fed by the energy generated from the main spring) and a special regulator to create that beautiful sweep. Is this what you meant by the Seiko not being fully mechanical? For me, the grand seiko is fully mechanical (no battery + self winded). I am not sure how much you know about spring drive, but I don't want to derail the thread discussing it here.

FWIW, seiko also makes a great hi-beat (36000) grand seiko - the SBGH001

I definitely appreciate other watches (some PPs posted here are breathtaking) for aesthetics, but if I have to pick a new watch (mehcanical or quartz) to spend money on, it will be a Seiko. I am very tempted to start searching for a used omega constellation, but I am trying to control the lust.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Again, that says little to nothing about movement quality. Whether the seconds hand lines up with the dial markers has much more to do with calibration after the movement has been manufactured.

To me, this is a sign of very high quality. I have been plenty nice quartz watches in real life, nothing had anything close to that quartz seiko. Show me a swiss watch that has something similar - I am not arguing with you, I am very curious to learn.

Kookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
exp.jpg

/M

I love this presentation, it's the first time I've seen a Rolex and really liked it. Any info on the strap?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Fewer fans = better chance of getting the new 339

1263485161619_Pam339_Front.jpg

Nice.

Of course, showing the watch and sharing the model name will also help drawing peoples attention away from it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here? This grand seiko spring drive(with a brown shell cordo strap) is my current dream watch:

3722168108_897b81c450_o.jpg

Originally Posted by texas_jack
Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai?

Guess not.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. The circus is in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads