Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Please pardon my ignorance but do the Panerais and big IWCs have works that fill all that space with big cogs and wheels or are the movements smaller than the cases?
    Of course the movement has to be smaller than the cases for it to fit inside. [​IMG] Anyways, the IWC Big Pilot has an in-house 7-day power reserve movement with a pellaton that is pretty robust. The big pilot also has a soft iron to protect from magnetic fields so that makes it thicker as well. [​IMG] I've always like Panerais except for the size. If I had a bigger wrist, I would definitely consider one.

2. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

I'm impressed. I come from a line of machinists. Would be gratifying to wear a big motor like that.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Please pardon my ignorance but do the Panerais and big IWCs have works that fill all that space with big cogs and wheels or are the movements smaller than the cases?

In the case of the IWC Portuguese models with in-house movements, yes:

[​IMG]

Many Panerais have movements that fit their cases, too--but not all.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The Watch Quote actually called the Caliber 50010 (the one used in the Portuguese Auto) as the largest automatic movement available in the world. I am not sure how accurate that is though.

http://www.thewatchquote.com/IWC-Por...ic-No_4091.htm

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The Watch Quote actually called the Caliber 50010 (the one used in the Portuguese Auto) as the largest automatic movement available in the world. I am not sure how accurate that is though.

http://www.thewatchquote.com/IWC-Por...ic-No_4091.htm

I think that's accurate. The claim has been around ever since the movement came out years ago. Nobody's challenged it and I can't think of anything else that comes close.

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

Foo, that is an awesome photo.

Some of the IWCs are really, really nice:

[​IMG]

7. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

In the case of the IWC Portuguese models with in-house movements, yes:

[​IMG]

Many Panerais have movements that fit their cases, too--but not all.

Camille Fournet strap?

8. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here? This grand seiko spring drive(with a brown shell cordo strap) is my current dream watch: [​IMG]
    I am a huge fan of Grand Seikos and will get one at some point (or more than one). However, I don't like this particular model. Very few watch companies can consistently pull off good-looking power reserve indicators, and Seiko is not one of them -- IMO this pic shows it. The high-beat SBGH001 is a more interesting and better looking watch. Of course you have to understand where Grand Seikos come from and why a certain degree of kitsch has to be present [​IMG] [​IMG] The sporty Spring Drive GMT with sapphire bezel is not bad either: [​IMG] But I also like the looks of Panerai occasionally [​IMG]. And Lange watches leave me completely cold, although I have never held one in my hands and can only judge by pics, so it may change.

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I never understood the fascination with Panerai but I have to say over time they have grown on me. I'm considering one as my next watch (looking at the 111).

Watches are such a personal thing.

Same here....

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I never understood the fascination with Panerai but I have to say over time they have grown on me.
    I've always appreciated the aesthetics of Panerai, and my wrist can actually handle a watch of that size, but now that the brand has attracted a predominantly douche following I'd sooner wear a Rolex.........[​IMG]

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've always appreciated the aesthetics of Panerai, and my wrist can actually handle a watch of that size, but now that the brand has attracted a predominantly douche following I'd sooner wear a Rolex.........[​IMG]

Quoted for irony

Now, seriously, this whole Panerai bash/love circus has been done before and is pointless to the extreme. Some like the designs, some don't - why does it have to be more than this. Why don't I see posts saying: "Am I the only one who doesn't like JLC?", or Oris or whatever other brand? Why this strange and singular focus on wanting to express a dislike for Panerai over the other dozens of watch brands? I'm perplexed.

In any case, that's really not the object of this thread - it's a picture thread, not meant to rehash every 30 pages who likes Panerai and who doesn't and whether 44mm is too big or not - the answers are the same they were 2 years ago or 10 years ago: it is for some, it isn't for others.

12. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

The sporty Spring Drive GMT with sapphire bezel is not bad either: [​IMG]
    Sweet ! This is probably my favorite GS : [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. srivats

srivats Senior member

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^ That Grand Seiko is amazing ...

+1

15. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

Yes, I wanted to post that one as well, but decided not to go overboard. That one is the most timeless GS of all IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.