• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

fiasco

Reaction score
i live about 45 mins away from pasadena. i was thinking about maybe going out there to meet with them and get measured.

LuneSoleil

Reaction score
I live in rural Canada and there is literally nowhere to buy clothes. can one dress himself sensibly at the Gap only?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fiasco
i live about 45 mins away from pasadena. i was thinking about maybe going out there to meet with them and get measured.
If this is the case I'd say it's a great choice. You'll also be able to see fabric samples and get direct input from them.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LuneSoleil
I live in rural Canada and there is literally nowhere to buy clothes. can one dress himself sensibly at the Gap only?

Most of my collared shirts come from there and I've got a pair of their denim, and I figure I look alright. I really can't justify buying >$150 dress/collared shirts regardless of how high quality they are, especially on my salary (it's good, but not wardrobe full of $150 shirts good).

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
A) The leather is beyond **** quality, it feels like plastic
B) In all likelihood they have cemented soles
C) Stitching and construction is going to be miles behind good shoemakers

Just a few questions then:
In your opinion, would you say chelsea boots are not one of those fashions that's going to disappear in a year and will probably still be wearable say 4-5 years from now?

Would you please suggest some chelsea boots that are better build quality at the $100 - $200 price range?

The level of quality I'm looking for is at the Ecco level (not sure if you guys are aware of them). I bought a $100-150 pair of brown loafers from them 3 years ago and they've held up beautifully and still going strong.

Thanks

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
Just a few questions then:
In your opinion, would you say chelsea boots are not one of those fashions that's going to disappear in a year and will probably still be wearable say 4-5 years from now?

Would you please suggest some chelsea boots that are better build quality at the $100 - $200 price range?

The level of quality I'm looking for is at the Ecco level (not sure if you guys are aware of them). I bought a $100-150 pair of brown loafers from them 3 years ago and they've held up beautifully and still going strong.

Thanks

uhoh.gif
Just do a search, man.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just a few questions then: In your opinion, would you say chelsea boots are not one of those fashions that's going to disappear in a year and will probably still be wearable say 4-5 years from now? Would you please suggest some chelsea boots that are better build quality at the $100 - $200 price range? The level of quality I'm looking for is at the Ecco level (not sure if you guys are aware of them). I bought a $100-150 pair of brown loafers from them 3 years ago and they've held up beautifully and still going strong. Thanks
Chelseas have been around for years and they will continue to be around for years. Ecco are **** quality.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Chelseas have been around for years and they will continue to be around for years. Ecco are **** quality.

really? I must have gotten lucky then because my eccos have held up beautifully.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Durability isn't the end-all to quality. I could make a wardrobe out of plastic that will last for centuries past natural fibers, doesn't make it high quality

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Durability isn't the end-all to quality. I could make a wardrobe out of plastic that will last for centuries past natural fibers, doesn't make it high quality

hm well I definitely still have lots to learn about quality in terms of apparel (no duh).

Always viewed durability as one of the top indicators of quality (ex. a fully canvassed suit will last longer than a fused suit, if both are taken care of equally).

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pl694246-00vliv01.jpg
pl694246-00drvliv01.jpg

first pair of chelsea boots, plan on only sticking to one for a while, so sticking with black color
how are these?

Originally Posted by blynch
^if you are just getting one boot, go with brown over black as it is more versatile. I don't really care for those, but I don't really like chelseas anyways.

edit: they are calvin klein, so I'm guessing they aren't too great of quality

Black is fine for one color, don't worry too much about it. Chelseas are great IMO but don't go with Calvin Klein.

Spend a little more money and get RMWs, or Loakes, or McNairys from Epaulet.

is there something particularly wrong with calvin klein build quality? Also, any particular reason you don't like Chelsea boots? From what I read up about them, they seem very versatile, able to be worn in a wide range of situations.

A) The leather is beyond **** quality, it feels like plastic
B) In all likelihood they have cemented soles
C) Stitching and construction is going to be miles behind good shoemakers

+1

I've owned mall brand cheap shoes, and cheap designer "nice shoes", actual designer shoes and some "nice ones". The biggest gaps in quality show mostly through shoes in my experiences. Cheap shoes are more uncomfortable, less well built, hurt your feet more, and wear down worse over time.

Nicer soles help a lot, some padding makes the footbed more comfortable, and nice supple soft non-plastic-y leather just softens with age and wear.

In the long run it's better.

lyonnaisdecoeur

Reaction score
i'm looking for advice on a pair of nice 'dressy' jeans....i have plenty of jeans in all sorts of styles but not any that are really nice enough to wear with a jacket.....i'm looking for something preferably in a dark-blue, straight leg, but nothing thats too tight....and also not more than 200 usd.

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lyonnaisdecoeur
i'm looking for advice on a pair of nice 'dressy' jeans....i have plenty of jeans in all sorts of styles but not any that are really nice enough to wear with a jacket.....i'm looking for something preferably in a dark-blue, straight leg, but nothing thats too tight....and also not more than 200 usd.

black 3sixteen straight leg, tons of other options though search for the jeans under $200 thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads