• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Men Without a Country For Farinelli's Jeans Thread

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^lol well we can have more anytime.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flesy
How awfully are these built compared to CvsF

Like night and day, but they still aren't immune to your mom losing them, so be forewarned.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
LA guy claimed Jean Shop wasn't anything special over at sufu, still don't know what changed his opinion.

I still don't think that it is a great jean for the asking price. At $260, you can do significantly better, imo. KMW, 5EP (R.I.P.), Studio D'Artisan, Somet, Samurai, PRPS, etc... all have either considerably more interesting dehim, are better constructed, or both. RRL in particular, which has a similar feel to Jean Shop, is, imo, a better buy for the money.

On the other hand, Jean Shop has always done a bang up job with their leather products.

Another thing is that you gotta differentiate between quality and aesthetics. The former can be assessed fairly quantitatively, the latter, not so much.

BTW, Whodini, I still have a couple of pairs of Von Dutch jeans that are great as bangers. At $50 apiece, they were a great buy for a pretty standard jean. The denim is as good as that in any $100 jean I've seen, and the construction is solid. The wash and fits are pretty standard too.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I simply wouldn't dress up with RRL, or those other repros listed, the way I would with Jean Shop. In that thread either you or someone like you called JS an upgraded APC, and I'd agree.

Also, name one of those brands you mentioned that use a riri fly...

But keep bangin' in your Von Dutch gear. You go, girl.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys rate Mauro Pant as a dress jean?
eh.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I simply wouldn't dress up with RRL, or those other repros listed, the way I would with Jean Shop. In that thread either you or someone like you called JS an upgraded APC, and I'd agree.

Also, name one of those brands you mentioned that use a riri fly...

But keep bangin' in your Von Dutch gear. You go, girl.

Well, those brands use button flies. Also, riri makes a nice zipper, but really, it's not a huge selling point for me.

As for "dressing up" jeans, I think that Jean Shop is not really good for that, unless you are going to the jamboree, and are also wearing your best boots and your bolo tie. The bright, pronounced orange stitching throughout is supposed to give the jeans a western flavor. While I'm all for wearing jeans however you like, it's sometimes a good idea to take a cue on how the jeans are meant to be styled, and the Jean Shop stores are done up like a ye olde trading post, complete with big wooden barrels full of belts and rough wood throughout. If you want to dress up jeans, I'd say that we're looking in the wrong direction, and should instead be looking at brands like Rag&Bone, which have a much more tailored look.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
How do you guys rate Mauro Pant as a dress jean?
eh.gif

I don't have mine yet, but judging from the exposed selvedge edge pocket and the crotch rivet, and the lowe rise, I'd say that it's better as a casual jean. Dress jeans. C'mon guys. Stop it with that crap. If you want to dress up, get some wool pants in flannel or worsted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics