• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

ulim

Reaction score
I'm an academic, but grew up working class. I also happen to have the body and face of a lumberjack rather than a foppish professor, so I think it makes sense my style would reflect my natural attributes.

As a result, my overall style mixes preppy and workwear, veering away from the more extreme ends of both.

So I avoid the more backwoods-themed pieces of workwear (e.g. red or green flannel shirts, etc.), while emphasizing the utilitarian/functional details, fabrics, and textures that I love so much about workwear with chambrays, muted patterned flannels, and work boots.

And from the preppy side, I avoid the country club stuff (e.g. white pants, colorful sweaters and ties, nautical blazers, etc.) in favor of darker khakis, muted polo shirts, and plain white or blue OCBDs.

Things that don't suit my personal style: sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies, goth ninja stuff, trendy or hipster styling, skinny stuff, bohemian styling, or, basically anything that will make me look like the students I teach.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I am starting to incorporate more of the workwear asthetic, but right now my style is rather ecclectic. Think new standards, chambray, chucks or clarks, and an M-43 field coat.

mondayc

Reaction score
Where I was: ugly graphic tshirts, baggy cargo shorts, garbage.

Where I am now: AA tees, a few button downs, sneakers, and jeans. Basic poor college student stuff. I've been here about a year due to lack of funds, but I think I have a better idea of the aesthetic I want and I'm glad I haven't made many clothes purchases in the last few months.

Where I want to go: More button-downs, variety in pants/shorts, better shoes, etc.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for a while i was putting out fits that i really liked, using all the parts of my closet, etc etc. lately i just haven't had the motivation. i'm content with how i look in sneakers, jeans, and a tshirt. im just obsessive about fit. everything has to fit just right. i just want a real clean, understated but still calculated style. id be happy to look like braidkids casual fits daily, because his **** always fits impeccably. but i also love the workwear kind of stuff, though ill probably never go deeper into it than a chambray and bandana while im actually working

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Agreed with you here chrono: the "American" look without the flannels and Red Wings. Apolis hits this spot for me, but I haven't found other mid-level ppl who do this without straying into workwear. Maybe select RRL if it's not too cowboy-ish.
I don't really like apolis. Not into apolis military thing. Red wings would work for a few things i'd want to do in that modern american type thing. I dunno. Lots of **** i could do and ideas/outfits in my head i'd like to do but probably don't want to spring for red wings or much else. Also, i don't have the other stuff i'd like. No time or money though. Also, too lazy to scour ebay/buy&sell/supermarket and what not to find deals. Plus one of these days i need to sell more clothes and i still need an extra fall/winter jacket since i only have 1 and it's starting to get cold up here

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can relate to this. Dont know if have the face of a lumberjack though...
eh.gif
Very much agreed on country club prep avoidance aswell.

Today, in the lab: tucked in navy/dark red blaid bd flannel, gray wool cardigan, lvc 501 37, vintage longwings.

Originally Posted by ulim
I'm an academic, but grew up working class. I also happen to have the body and face of a lumberjack rather than a foppish professor, so I think it makes sense my style would reflect my natural attributes.

As a result, my overall style mixes preppy and workwear, veering away from the more extreme ends of both.

So I avoid the more backwoods-themed pieces of workwear (e.g. red or green flannel shirts, etc.), while emphasizing the utilitarian/functional details, fabrics, and textures that I love so much about workwear with chambrays, muted patterned flannels, and work boots.

And from the preppy side, I avoid the country club stuff (e.g. white pants, colorful sweaters and ties, nautical blazers, etc.) in favor of darker khakis, muted polo shirts, and plain white or blue OCBDs.

Things that don't suit my personal style: sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies, goth ninja stuff, trendy or hipster styling, skinny stuff, bohemian styling, or, basically anything that will make me look like the students I teach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads