1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. connor

connor Senior member

for a while i was putting out fits that i really liked, using all the parts of my closet, etc etc. lately i just haven't had the motivation. i'm content with how i look in sneakers, jeans, and a tshirt. im just obsessive about fit. everything has to fit just right. i just want a real clean, understated but still calculated style. id be happy to look like braidkids casual fits daily, because his shit always fits impeccably. but i also love the workwear kind of stuff, though ill probably never go deeper into it than a chambray and bandana while im actually working

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Agreed with you here chrono: the "American" look without the flannels and Red Wings. Apolis hits this spot for me, but I haven't found other mid-level ppl who do this without straying into workwear. Maybe select RRL if it's not too cowboy-ish.
    I don't really like apolis. Not into apolis military thing. Red wings would work for a few things i'd want to do in that modern american type thing. I dunno. Lots of shit i could do and ideas/outfits in my head i'd like to do but probably don't want to spring for red wings or much else. Also, i don't have the other stuff i'd like. No time or money though. Also, too lazy to scour ebay/buy&sell/supermarket and what not to find deals. Plus one of these days i need to sell more clothes and i still need an extra fall/winter jacket since i only have 1 and it's starting to get cold up here

3. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

Geller SS10 via Geller, Rag&Bone, Ervell. Digging Spurr and getting interested in some edgier stuff too.

God have I found an expensive hobby.

4. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I can relate to this. Dont know if have the face of a lumberjack though...[​IMG] Very much agreed on country club prep avoidance aswell.

Today, in the lab: tucked in navy/dark red blaid bd flannel, gray wool cardigan, lvc 501 37, vintage longwings.

I'm an academic, but grew up working class. I also happen to have the body and face of a lumberjack rather than a foppish professor, so I think it makes sense my style would reflect my natural attributes.

As a result, my overall style mixes preppy and workwear, veering away from the more extreme ends of both.

So I avoid the more backwoods-themed pieces of workwear (e.g. red or green flannel shirts, etc.), while emphasizing the utilitarian/functional details, fabrics, and textures that I love so much about workwear with chambrays, muted patterned flannels, and work boots.

And from the preppy side, I avoid the country club stuff (e.g. white pants, colorful sweaters and ties, nautical blazers, etc.) in favor of darker khakis, muted polo shirts, and plain white or blue OCBDs.

Things that don't suit my personal style: sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies, goth ninja stuff, trendy or hipster styling, skinny stuff, bohemian styling, or, basically anything that will make me look like the students I teach.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Half (almost) year check up! Or too early?

Soo, whats happening?

6. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

I think I've kind of come full circle--my style is as boring as ever nowadays--but its pretty functional and comfortable. Fits in pretty well with the area I'm in.

I detest the name "workwear" for the connotation it holds on this forum. But, I also don't sit at a cubicle all day wearing my Red Wings. I am constantly outside--hiking, walking etc. and unless I am on a bike--my Red Wings are pretty functional on my feet.

I feel my style is very Pac NW. The stylish elements I have paid particular attention to are a modern slim fit, and really nice fabrics, and extra details. I want to expand to adding more color into my wardrobe. I would love some red outerwear as well.

I really appreciate some more refined designers--Spurr in particular, but also Rag & Bone. But, frankly I would stick out like a sore thumb where I live if I wore that--if I lived in another area of the country I would probably add more of those designers in my wardrobe--but I'm pretty happy with where I am at in the context of my every day life.

7. erbs

erbs Senior member

I've been moving back to how I dressed before the whole workwear/Americana thing hit. I'm wearing a lot less workwear and I've been trying to get back to a pared-down, minimal style. Raf's first few collections for Jil Sander (06-07) are currently a big influence, but I can't afford to go all-out right now so I'm trying to approximate the aesthetic using pieces I already have.
    This didn't work out too well. I've learned that minimalism really needs to be done with consistently great fabrics and details in order to keep it interesting, and I just couldn't afford the pieces (Jil) I needed to carry it off without it being boring. I'm pretty much back into the Americana thing, but with more of an Ivy/prep focus instead of workwear. I've been wearing Barbour/OCBD/Sugarcane '66/Alden loafers or chukkas pretty consistently and I think it will stay here for a while. I need to get some #8 shell boots and maybe a pair of longwings and then I'm pretty much set.

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

My style is getting more casual lately. Less "aristocratic vampire" and more rock. Feel more inclined towards t-shirts than button downs. I think I just need to find the balance.

9. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^sounds like a very sound development.

Personally, nothing much seems to happen. Ive gotten rid of a lof of "weird" pieces, or stuff that wasnt really fitting the way I like. My ideal is easy to wear, well fitting, well made clothes, spieced up with the occasional quirky piece. I think the days of ebay/bargain hunting are coming to an end, and will be replaced with getting the stuff I like at retail instead.

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Changing: less bright colors, more monochromatic gray/black/white stuff with nice textures.

Staying the same: slim fitted stuff, sleek boots and sneakers. Tried rocking baggy pants, was a massive fail. Still like oversized knits and outerwear though.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

eventually going to pull a socal, a kind of fuck you, i dont give a shit kind of style.

in the near future i want to mix minimal goth ninja proportions and layering with MC color coordination.

in the even nearer future i want to pull a dismal. there's this fit pic of him with his first ed margiela jacket, black jeans, and red shirt that i can't find. something like that.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I've pretty much got a handle on how to wear button downs under a sweater and not feel like a total tool (combination of wearing really slim jeans, sizing down heavily on the sweaters and wearing really fitted BD shirts underneath).

Looking forward to experimenting with that. Mostly, though my most recent WAYWT fit (Vintage Denim Jacket, Hanes Tee, Dark Raw Denim pants, Chucks) i think is going to be my "uniform," for spring mostly because i love the simplicity of it.

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

Changing: More colors, less blue/navy/dark.

Staying the same: Looking for more blazers, more cardigans, more decent chinos/khakis, and more decent cargo/fatigue. Looking for more military inspired. Sticking with vintage Americana/preppy-cum-workwear.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

My style the past year has been to not buy anything. Going well so far

15. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Half (almost) year check up! Or too early?

Soo, whats happening?

Still doing Jil/Raf/Ervell, with the occasional funky flair (Vibskov, Wester, Lindqvist etc) not stopping anytime soon.

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

My style the past year has been to not buy anything. Going well so far

i hear yea

17. msza

msza Senior member

Hanes t shirts, posture, fitness, and designer stubble.

18. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

My style is going to shit.

19. DoitsuJin

DoitsuJin Member

lol ditto, me too. it's a mind fuck thinking about fashion when i barely have enough time to wear the clothes. though i figure i should probably pick up my work wear.

20. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

Well, with my losing weight, being relatively short, and dressing in darker colors, I'd say I'm going towards the SuFu style of goth ninja.