1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Do you have a clear sense of direction or development, to you just change at random or dont you change at all? How does inspiration influence what you eventually will end up looking like?

Ive noticed myself being more interested in the "preppy/trad" look (oxfords, bow ties, cords...) but probably through a more EG/streetwear lense... Im also really drawn towards the whole 45rpm style (where a loose blue oxford isnt out of place either) aswell as the more extreme concept of Kapital with really worn in quirky items, as dropped crotched pants, but dont really know where it all will come together and end. I wear alot of blue these days, safe to say...

2. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

it sounds basically like me. the older i get, the more traditional i become i guess. i don't think i'll ever be "high fashion" nor do i really try it anymore.

3. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

i always described my style as 'classic, but modern' but i find myself to be evolving into a trad/high fashion mix...whiiiich is basically the same as 'classic, but modern.' hahaha

4. midcut

midcut Active Member

Doug Bihlmaier.

5. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I've been asking myself the same question. Most of the time, I'm either in a t-shirt, hoodie, jeans, and sneakers/boots or a button-down, sweater(vest), jeans or some sort of casual pants, and boots. The thing is I never feel like i have a consistency in what I wear day to day. Some might find it really boring, but I love the loden dager aesthetic and I'm starting to really appreciate some of the pieces by Engineered Garments (though I think I might be too small to fit into any).

6. itskub

itskub Senior member

Im headed in the dressing-down, casual direction. A couple items like plaid pants, vests, cardigans, button downs in my closet I dont think Ill be wearing anymore. Well-fitting basics such as khakis, solid sweaters, henley t-shirts can do plenty for you , and i think girls prefer guys who dont look like theyre trying.
    sorry if this didnt make sense but im sick and cant think / see straight. [​IMG]

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

the older i get, the more traditional i become i guess. i don't think i'll ever be "high fashion" nor do i really try it anymore.

+1. I was pretty traditional to begin with, though. I don't necessarily have a "direction," but I'd like to think I know when a piece/line is not for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I've been wearing the same shit for so long that I don't think my style foundation is going anywhere...if anything I'm trying to mix it up with more of a (and this sounds lame but I don't know how else to describe it) "punk" edge. ok, that was painful to type. but yea, something like that. It's my goal this year to not get anymore ben sherman-style buttondowns. I already have 40+ of them so I think i'm set.

Funny that guys are moving into "preppy/trad" and I think I'm moving out of it, at least incorporating less of it into my daily. But that'll always be my "default" look.

9. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Senior member

it sounds basically like me. the older i get, the more traditional i become i guess. i don't think i'll ever be "high fashion" nor do i really try it anymore.

same here...

[​IMG]

10. 1969

1969 Senior member

I'm 38. My work allows me to dress casually and the "night life" here is decidely casual. For the past 15 years I have always felt most comfortable in jeans or some type of chino or work pant, with an untucked button down shirt, dress shoes or boots . When cold, add a sweater or jacket. In summer the shirt may be camp shirt or polo. When I get home it's into a tshirt and sneakers if not going out. I think where SF has changed that for me in the past 9 months is in quality, fit and trying to find very small ways to add color or some other way to add "flair" without looking like a twat. I don't see this process changing, but rather fine tuning it.

11. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Being a slightly "older" chap myself, I'm probably not as quick to react to the current trends. However, it's the music that always informs my style. Regardless of the situation, there must be a mod/punk edge to the look. Like many others, I'm sure, Paul Weller is the basis for many of my "looks." There have been many adventures not to far off the Weller path (i.e., Blur, Strokes, Libertines, even Franz Ferd....), but like any addict, I always seem to come back to the man.

To answer the original question:
    Since discovering SF, the overall feel remains the same... but the fit and quality will continue to grow exponentially.

12. 1969

1969 Senior member

Funny you mention Weller. Ray Davies is my musical point of reference and a mentor to him, Blur and severall others in that vain. Not sure I take any fashion from him though, other than a bit of "normal".

13. Holstein Bilter

Holstein Bilter Senior member

I used to wonder why older people always wore collared shirts
    and button shirts regardless of the occasion.

I realize it's because t-shirts and long sleeve tees just aren't flattering
    as you get older.

When at home, I preferred t-shirts and jeans or shorts and even to go out
    casually.

Now as I get older, I just can't pull it off anymore. As your face ages
    so does your wardrobe to a certain degree.

I saw a 40 year old guy the other day, wearing timbalands and mark ecko
    It just didn't look right.

I don't want to be caught in that kind of situation.

Just gradually moving away from trends and going to classic.

14. COKE CAN

COKE CAN Well-Known Member

My fashion sense sucks. That's why I am here [​IMG]

15. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

My basic style of suits and bowties haven't changed really since it became a main stay of my daily wardrobe. I have adapted new colors into my style and patterns, also a few accessories along the way but nothing has changed that was drastic.

16. jet

jet Senior member

Classics with a twist and some innovative pieces but always mixed together to my eye. This coupled with more tailoring and cleaning up the look.

17. Eason

Eason Senior member

I would never presume to give that much credit to my "style".

18. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

As of right now, not a terrible amount of direction. Buying pieces i can wear pretty easily and in different casual circumstances since i'm still an undergrad. Once i know for sure i'm into my grad school and going to be teaching (at least for a few years after grad school till i find something better and higher paying perhaps), i probably will shift stuff up a bunch. Sell a bunch of clothes i currently have on sufu and get some more slightly preppy stuff i can wear to teaching so i can look stylish but also not like any of the students. As much as i enjoy just wearing skinny jeans, sneakers, tshirt, hoodie, cardigan, etc... there's no way i can do that as a teacher.

YMC, NDG, BoO, EG, and then certain posters here (bobo, GS, jet, FTB, maharlika, socal and others) give me some ideas for how to dress after i'm done with my whole youth clothing phase. Probably a mix between classic pieces with some interesting detailing, a bit of NE prep/workwear and possibly more conservative (but still with a twist) from designers i enjoy like Raf, VB, MMM, and others. For now i'm just going to enjoy myself and if i do buy something a bit more expensive try to choose things that i know will have decent resale value. I wouldn't be comfortable dressing now how i plan to in 3-4 years and vice versa so i'm just enjoying myself now.

But right now, it's pretty obvious i don't have much a direction and just wearing bits and pieces i enjoy. Is it the most coherent, well thought out style? No, but regardless i feel alright for the most part.

19. asobu

asobu Senior member

I lack any sense of direction as well. Right now I just buy shit I like and I think I can wear in some way, but there's no coherent style. I wanna dabble a bit in everything.

20. gooberdude

gooberdude Member

Some pieces I wear not because of how they look on me, but because I'm so in love with them I want to keep them near me all day.

Aside from that I want to go 19th century London or at least what I picture in my head to be 19th century London. More knitwear with thicker fabrics. I really liked the costume design in "Sweeny Todd" if that's any indication.

Of course I'm in LA for school so I'll look retarded wearing wool and whatnot in the middle of summer but fuck it, I don't care anymore, it feels too right.