• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

Max

Reaction score
I've stopped trying and started doing.

I've recently decided to stop wearing long ties, so I'll be raiding my dad's extensive bowtie collection before my next formal outing.

jufros

Reaction score
I've been gravitating towards anything that has interesting texture, but my wardrobe is mainly composed of versatile pieces that I can dress up or down. I lean towards slim but not skinny darker jeans, tailored looking blazers, military jackets, denim jackets, cord jackets, and such. I also dig a lot of high fashion japanese labels like julius and the virdi anne though. I kind of have enough jackets and jeans and shoes, so I've been trying to incorporate more interesting looking basics.

2sweet

Reaction score
Both of my closets are completely full. As is my dresser. Could I cram a few more pieces in there? Yes. Do I really want to? Can I really find brand new looks that stand apart from all the fine pieces I've already collected? It's become increasingly difficult to do so.

Increasingly, whenever I can get away with it, I lean towards comfort. Baggy sweatpants, hoodies, and t's. Very comfy sneaks with air soles. This is a fashion disaster, but I'm so completely comfortable and unself conscious, I feel better about myself.

Of course, sometimes I do have to "dress up" and sometimes I just feel like "dressing up." I feel great then too. I love looking my best.

The bottom line is, you can't go wrong. Go casual and slum it, and you will be ultra comfortable and won't give a rodent's behind if anyone is impressed or not. Dress it up and feel like a million bucks since you know you're the hottest thing in the room.

That's how I feel anyways.

To be honest, I sometimes tire of drawing attention to myself. Seriously. There are times when I just don't want guys and gal's eyes getting wide or watching girls salivate over me. So I stop shaving and try to look like I just stepped out of the gym or am just stepping in. Still can't stop girls from staring however hee hee.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
Increasingly, whenever I can get away with it, I lean towards comfort. Baggy sweatpants, hoodies, and t's. Very comfy sneaks with air soles. This is a fashion disaster, but I'm so completely comfortable and unself conscious, I feel better about myself.
I was going to post something, but I suspect 2sweet just killed this thread.
cloud.gif

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
As far as inspiration goes, I was recently inspired by looking through a lot of pictures of my grandfather after he passed. He was one of the most stylish men I have ever met, and I was especially struck by how he mixed western wear pieces into a wardrobe that was not western themed overall. He grew up on a ranch in Montana so I think it was second nature to him, and it looked fantastic. It motivated me to wear some of my favorite western stuff more often and in new ways.

this sounds very interesting! Could you possibly post some pics of your grandfather, or otherwise, why not some new wdywt from yourself?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
this sounds very interesting! Could you possibly post some pics of your grandfather, or otherwise, why not some new wdywt from yourself?

I'll do that, in fact I've been thinking of scanning some photos and doing a thread in memory of him.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda all over the place at the moment. Ideally, I would go for the simple old-vintage biker look. Dark well-fit tees, simple jeans, boots, black leather jacket. I am heavily drawn into the old rocker/cafe racer look and lifestyle. Lately, I've gone 'dressier' (though not many here would call it dressy...) in an effort to buy clothing that stands out but can be worn casually or in a business casual environment, since I work in an office almost all week and go straight to school or out on the town afterwards. So I'm stuck in a place that I don't feel bad about, but it's not where I would like to steer.

TrekTheWorld

Reaction score
I like to stick to a classic, clean look, but then have a major piece of flare that automaticall y stands out from the rest. I find it definitely sets you apart when hitting the bar/club scene. It could be as simple as strange colored shoe, a hankie, or throwing on a blazer, and randomly wearing a carnation out to the club.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I've sold so much stuff out of my closet, and I'm elated about it. A lot of it was very wearable, but not my fashion anymore, or -- and this is key -- of lesser quality. I've taken to buying so much less, so many fewer pieces, and replacing everything with one or two high-quality replacements.

2. I guess more traditional, but modern -- the overriding style on SF, I'd say. Today I bought a Filson briefcase and I looked at myself in the mirror -- I had on my regular Johnston & Murphy boat shoes (but they're not as traddy as Sperry's), jeans, a J. Crew camp button-up (with quasi-epaulets) and carried the briefcase and thought I looked very American. Not bad, I thought.

3. And when I'm going out, less traditional, much more modern.

If I could classify it by label, at work, it'd look more Steven Alan, and when I go out, Rag & Bone. I know that a lot of people dissed the R&B look in the CFDA pictures, but I think it's perfect for me.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My style fluctuates each time. I live a very active lifesttye and I travel a lot and that is a major influence on my style. I don't have a while collar job so that gives me the liberty to go 'beyond the box' in expressing myself. I've gone from bohemian to Continental style but always, I'm a shoe fanatic. Lately, I've been getting more inspired into the Venice Beach Abbot Kinney look. Sort of L.A. workwear casual pieces from Stronghold, Mr. Freedom etc. and other local designers.

erbs

Reaction score
I've been moving toward a more trad/preppy/ivy league style myself lately. More chinos and oxford cloth as of late and less denim and hoodies/flannel. However, I've been trying to keep the trad look youthful and a bit unpredictable so that I don't end up looking 20 years older than I am, or worse,like someone trying to dress up.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half a year later bump! Whats new, whats the same? Did you end up where you imagined you would? Personally, not much have changed, but I feel i really have refined my look, to the point that I pretty much look exactly like I want to. Just need some more individual pieces. In the long run, I think Ill get both more outdoors stuff, aswell as more oldman/trad stuff. I wouldnt mind some tweed and cord sports coats, flannel pants and tucked in ocbds in the long run, paired with Russel mocs. I pretty much imagine i´ll end up teaching in university, so Im the stodgy trad proffessor look seems appealing
smile.gif

Metropolis

Reaction score
I have no particular 'style'. Of course, I go into all those 'prep' stores - Lacoste, JCrew, etc. But, I always tend to go for the darker clothes. But, it's not like goth-dark-dark, no no no. My wardrobe mainly consists of dark wash jeans, dark blue, green shirts, some beige, white, gray. Etc. Although - I am finding myself going toward the.. Industrial look, as I like to say. G-star and whatnot.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I didn't have any style till I was in college. Had this Japanese/Korean pop thing going on for a while. Towards graduation, my style became more business casual which I've stuck with till now, but with a little modern twist. I like RL Black Label's simple sophisticated look, though with a lot more colours. I try to get the slim modern silhouette down with slim polos, shirts, tapered chinos, pointy dress shoes/loafers.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel quite ambivalent about my "look" at the moment, hence the lack of WAYWT posts. I put on my Lee 101B's and a button-up then slip into my Birks. That's it. I feel strangely uninspired but somehow not really worried about. Is this age? However, I feel a surge of fun layering coming on once we get that nip in the air. All in all considerably more relaxed than in my youth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics