Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

men at WERQ

2. supermidget

supermidget Senior member

broke college kid meets bike messenger

or

semi-formal/suits

3. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

Plaid'splosion

4. cchen

cchen Senior member

focusing a lot more on tailored pieces

5. ulim

ulim Well-Known Member

I'm an academic, but grew up working class. I also happen to have the body and face of a lumberjack rather than a foppish professor, so I think it makes sense my style would reflect my natural attributes.

As a result, my overall style mixes preppy and workwear, veering away from the more extreme ends of both.

So I avoid the more backwoods-themed pieces of workwear (e.g. red or green flannel shirts, etc.), while emphasizing the utilitarian/functional details, fabrics, and textures that I love so much about workwear with chambrays, muted patterned flannels, and work boots.

And from the preppy side, I avoid the country club stuff (e.g. white pants, colorful sweaters and ties, nautical blazers, etc.) in favor of darker khakis, muted polo shirts, and plain white or blue OCBDs.

Things that don't suit my personal style: sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies, goth ninja stuff, trendy or hipster styling, skinny stuff, bohemian styling, or, basically anything that will make me look like the students I teach.

6. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

a man who can live in the city
    spend weekends in the country
    and vacations at the shore

7. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

I am starting to incorporate more of the workwear asthetic, but right now my style is rather ecclectic. Think new standards, chambray, chucks or clarks, and an M-43 field coat.

8. blank

blank Senior member

I am starting to incorporate more of the workwear asthetic, but right now my style is rather ecclectic. Think new standards, chambray, chucks or clarks, and an M-43 field coat.

Very eclectic.

9. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

10. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

Where I was: ugly graphic tshirts, baggy cargo shorts, garbage.

Where I am now: AA tees, a few button downs, sneakers, and jeans. Basic poor college student stuff. I've been here about a year due to lack of funds, but I think I have a better idea of the aesthetic I want and I'm glad I haven't made many clothes purchases in the last few months.

Where I want to go: More button-downs, variety in pants/shorts, better shoes, etc.

11. connor

connor Senior member

for a while i was putting out fits that i really liked, using all the parts of my closet, etc etc. lately i just haven't had the motivation. i'm content with how i look in sneakers, jeans, and a tshirt. im just obsessive about fit. everything has to fit just right. i just want a real clean, understated but still calculated style. id be happy to look like braidkids casual fits daily, because his shit always fits impeccably. but i also love the workwear kind of stuff, though ill probably never go deeper into it than a chambray and bandana while im actually working

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Agreed with you here chrono: the "American" look without the flannels and Red Wings. Apolis hits this spot for me, but I haven't found other mid-level ppl who do this without straying into workwear. Maybe select RRL if it's not too cowboy-ish.
    I don't really like apolis. Not into apolis military thing. Red wings would work for a few things i'd want to do in that modern american type thing. I dunno. Lots of shit i could do and ideas/outfits in my head i'd like to do but probably don't want to spring for red wings or much else. Also, i don't have the other stuff i'd like. No time or money though. Also, too lazy to scour ebay/buy&sell/supermarket and what not to find deals. Plus one of these days i need to sell more clothes and i still need an extra fall/winter jacket since i only have 1 and it's starting to get cold up here

13. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

Geller SS10 via Geller, Rag&Bone, Ervell. Digging Spurr and getting interested in some edgier stuff too.

God have I found an expensive hobby.

14. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I can relate to this. Dont know if have the face of a lumberjack though...[​IMG] Very much agreed on country club prep avoidance aswell.

Today, in the lab: tucked in navy/dark red blaid bd flannel, gray wool cardigan, lvc 501 37, vintage longwings.

I'm an academic, but grew up working class. I also happen to have the body and face of a lumberjack rather than a foppish professor, so I think it makes sense my style would reflect my natural attributes.

As a result, my overall style mixes preppy and workwear, veering away from the more extreme ends of both.

So I avoid the more backwoods-themed pieces of workwear (e.g. red or green flannel shirts, etc.), while emphasizing the utilitarian/functional details, fabrics, and textures that I love so much about workwear with chambrays, muted patterned flannels, and work boots.

And from the preppy side, I avoid the country club stuff (e.g. white pants, colorful sweaters and ties, nautical blazers, etc.) in favor of darker khakis, muted polo shirts, and plain white or blue OCBDs.

Things that don't suit my personal style: sneakers, t-shirts, hoodies, goth ninja stuff, trendy or hipster styling, skinny stuff, bohemian styling, or, basically anything that will make me look like the students I teach.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Half (almost) year check up! Or too early?

Soo, whats happening?