• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philly Cheese Steak

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ yeah I used to live on South Street ... Lorenzo's definitely has some good pizza. I also like Randazzo's, which is further west on South Street.

asnexprss

Reaction score
Pat's is alright, nothing special. Jim's is horrible.

My go-to is Chubby's in Roxborough . . . so good I still can't be bothered to go to Delessandros's down the street. Want to try John's, but agreed, the hours are horrible, as well as *****'s.

One place that surprised me alot was Sonny's Famous Steaks in Old City.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
^^ yeah I used to live on South Street ... Lorenzo's definitely has some good pizza. I also like Randazzo's, which is further west on South Street.

Is this the Lorenzo's on the north side of South, just west of 3rd?

b-ill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asnexprss

My go-to is Chubby's in Roxborough . . . so good I still can't be bothered to go to Delessandros's down the street. Want to try John's, but agreed, the hours are horrible, as well as *****'s.

Yep, Chubby's is also great. And I agree on Sonny's. Probably the place I go to the most since it's the closest to me.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Is this the Lorenzo's on the north side of South, just west of 3rd?

Yep, that's the place. Randazzo's is between 16th and 17th on South from what I recall (haven't lived on South Street in about five years).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mano
Other than Geno's and Pat's, neither of which "suck" but are at least average, what are the "big name" places? Jim's? Steve's? Tony Luke's? They're all pretty good.

100% agree with this. A lot of folks around Philly love to **** on Pat's and Geno's. I dunno, they taste good to me. Of the two, I generally choose Pat's, but if the line's shorter at Geno's that works.

Look, a cheesesteak is not a complicated thing. It's got 4 ingredients (three if you heathenously get it wit out). You need the Amoroso's roll. Wiz is Wiz. It's hard to **** up fried onions. That leaves the meat and the proportions of ingredients as differentiators. As long as the meat isn't really *****/stringy and none of the ingredients overwhelms the others, you've got yourself a good cheesesteak as far as I'm concerned.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Fredo's in Pasadena, CA had the best I've ever tried.

we ate there religiously every sunday for lunch. Fredo's is still there but it's a new owner and is not the same sandwich. The original owner Dan is supposed to reopen with a new place but who knows when that's gonna happen, or where exactly

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steveoly

Last visit, I ate 2 Geno's and 1 Pat's in a sitting, and if I had to cast a vote, it would be for Geno's. Also, the last time I had Jim's, I found it way too dry. I've never tried Tony Luke's.

On a different note, Lorenzo and Sons pizza is hands down my favorite pie of all time.

^^ yeah I used to live on South Street ... Lorenzo's definitely has some good pizza.

+1

Originally Posted by asnexprss

Damn, I hate Sonny's. It's way too dry.

jessetk313

Reaction score
Yea I used to work right across from Dinic's in the terminal, boy do I miss the free sandwhiches. The Beef Brisket with peppers and provolone is IMO the best sandwhich they offer. MMMmm was it tasty.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I freely admit I like my cheesesteaks with a bunch of stuff (lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers) that would make a purist scoff.

A purist will tell you that the sandwich you describe is a steak and cheese, not a cheesesteak. That said, I love a good steak and cheese in the summer with lettuce, real ripe summer tomato, and lots of mayo.

inmytree14

Reaction score
cheestesteaks are late night eats for boys
real men consume a philly taco

take one super large slice of lorenzo's pizza [south st] - wrap around cheesesteak of choice [jim's across the street if going for convenience] - attempt to eat while still maintaining self respect

[in all seriousness, get tony luke's italian steak - cheesesteak w/ broccoli rabe and ridiculously sharp provolone]

Jaxson612

Reaction score
Wiz, wit, from Geno's.
Oh, and don't forget to order in English!

Actually, my favorite sandwich is a Pork Frussco, from Frussco's on Frankford Ave. in the North East. Roast pork, broccoli rabe, sharp provolone on a roll from Sarcones' bakery. Now that's some good eats!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, that's the place. Randazzo's is between 16th and 17th on South from what I recall (haven't lived on South Street in about five years).

Is Lorenzo himself still around? I lived on 3rd & Munroe when he opened - he used to pick up a baseball bat whenever a slightly rowdy kids came in and bang it on the counter. I liked the chicken-pizza steak at Ishkabibbles down a ways.....

Originally Posted by KObalto
A purist will tell you that the sandwich you describe is a steak and cheese, not a cheesesteak. That said, I love a good steak and cheese in the summer with lettuce, real ripe summer tomato, and lots of mayo.

Cheesesteak hoagie, no?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another horrible creation that cannot be even called food.
Crappy beef covered by crappy cheese on spongy stale bun. Yammmm.
Why not put Hershey ****** chocolate on top? Sweet and cheesy = delicious.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Another horrible creation that cannot be even called food.
Crappy beef covered by crappy cheese on spongy stale bun. Yammmm.
Why not put Hershey ****** chocolate on top? Sweet and cheesy = delicious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads