• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philly Cheese Steak

b-ill

Reaction score
Skip both of them and just go to Reading Terminal and get a hot roast beef sandwich from DiNic's.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Steve's Prince of Steaks are underrated and so is ******. Jim's is very good as well.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
John's Roast Pork's steak provolone wit is tops. Actually I order the roast pork (sharp with spinich) most times.

John's with sharp provolone FTW.

Pundit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mano
John's Roast Pork is terrific but has weird hours.

You're right, basically they are open for lunch M-F and are too off the beaten path for tourists. Still, nothing quite compares with sitting outside eating with the railroad tracks on one side and the chemical plant on the other.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wiz wit. As long as it's got a proper Amoroso's roll, I don't care so much where it's from.

I agree that wiz is pretty disgusting in all other circumstances, but I want it on my cheesesteak. I am annoyed by the number of places around here that don't offer wiz.

i killed judas.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
I think Steve's Prince of Steaks are underrated and so is ******. Jim's is very good as well.

This. I am from South Jersey, have lived in Philly the past 4 years, and have been going to ****** literally since I was born. There is nothing like leaving there with your clothes reeking of cheesesteak. Gino's and Pat's have become tourist traps. And I don't like how they don't melt the cheese. Tony Luke's has moved into grocery-store--brand, frozen, boxed, steak-um like things. Jims is good too.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b-ill
Skip both of them and just go to Reading Terminal and get a hot roast beef sandwich from DiNic's.

DiNic's, now you're talking. I like(d) their roast pork w/ roasted green peppers & aged provolone
drool.gif
I'd put it in my Top-10 Sandwiches of All Time....
bigstar[1].gif

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo

lolwut?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
pats and ginos are way overrated.

wogies in nyc is pretty damn good

i'm sure you eat a lot of cheese steaks with all the money you stole from me over the last 6 months

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
lolwut?

Haha, yea the owner, used to be called a "*****" when he was a child in his neighborhood, due to the fact that he looked Asian.

b-ill

Reaction score
I'd go to Delassandro's in Roxborough if I wanted a good cheesesteak. Most of the "big name" places suck.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Yet another vote for D'alessandro's in Roxborough. Jim's is also good, but D'alessandro's was the best in my (admittedly relatively limited) experience. Pat's and Geno's were absolutely tourist traps.

Tony Luke's for the roast pork with greens and sharp provolone.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I had a cheesesteak at Pat's or Geno's (don't remember which one -- it had a bunch of anti-Mumia stuff on the walls) and was underwhelmed. It was good, but not the religious experience I was expecting. I freely admit I like my cheesesteaks with a bunch of stuff (lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers) that would make a purist scoff.

mano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by b-ill
I'd go to Delassandro's in Roxborough if I wanted a good cheesesteak. Most of the "big name" places suck.

Dalassandro's was sold and isn't so great anymore. Other than Geno's and Pat's, neither of which "suck" but are at least average, what are the "big name" places? Jim's? Steve's? Tony Luke's? They're all pretty good.

steveoly

Reaction score
From a tourist's perspective (been to Philly like 4 times) and I find myself constantly eating when I visit, I slightly prefer Geno's over Pat's. I can see how locals or those who frequent the Big 2 places find them a bit overrated. But when you live in the midwest and all you have are mall eatery cheese steaks, there's nothing like a visit to Philly. Hell, I once got a cheese steak at a gas station in Philly and it was fantastic...it really is all about the hoagie roll.

Last visit, I ate 2 Geno's and 1 Pat's in a sitting, and if I had to cast a vote, it would be for Geno's. Also, the last time I had Jim's, I found it way too dry. I've never tried Tony Luke's.

On a different note, Lorenzo and Sons pizza is hands down my favorite pie of all time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads