1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Philly Cheese Steak

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mussel, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Really?[​IMG]

Sorry brah, nothing against you; you're a good guy.

As a Washington sports fan, I have expanded my hatred for all Philly teams to Philly in general.

2. Skydiver Nick

Skydiver Nick Well-Known Member

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

with onion, with swiss and provalone and american and with jalapenos.

4. cchen

cchen Senior member

jim's > pat's > genos

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

6. binge

binge Senior member

It was cheesesteak Tuesday today. It was good.

7. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Fuck I want a Philly Cheesesteak right now. So hungry[​IMG]

8. Pundit

Pundit Senior member

John's Roast Pork's steak provolone wit is tops. Actually I order the roast pork (sharp with spinich) most times.

9. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

The best cheese steak in the DC Metro area would be Al's Steak Shop. Oh yeah, don't forget to add fried eggs.
    Will try. Thank you.

10. mano

mano Senior member

Forget Pat's and Geno's. They're okay but not even close to the best. Geno's doesn't chop the meat, which is a bit tough, but I like it better than Pat's. Also, forget the cheese whiz unless you really like it. It's tradition but IMO not the best tasting cheese (is it even a cheese?).

John's Roast Pork is terrific but has weird hours. Jim's on South Street is very good. Avoid the whiz and go with American or provolone. Steve's Prince of Steaks has several locations, none near Center City. Great steak sandwiches.

I was at Tony Lukes on Saturday. Only one of us got a cheese steak (very good) as their best sandwiches are roast pork, broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.

11. b-ill

b-ill Senior member

Skip both of them and just go to Reading Terminal and get a hot roast beef sandwich from DiNic's.

12. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I think Steve's Prince of Steaks are underrated and so is Chinks. Jim's is very good as well.

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

John's Roast Pork's steak provolone wit is tops. Actually I order the roast pork (sharp with spinich) most times.

John's with sharp provolone FTW.

14. Pundit

Pundit Senior member

John's Roast Pork is terrific but has weird hours.

You're right, basically they are open for lunch M-F and are too off the beaten path for tourists. Still, nothing quite compares with sitting outside eating with the railroad tracks on one side and the chemical plant on the other.

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Wiz wit. As long as it's got a proper Amoroso's roll, I don't care so much where it's from.

I agree that wiz is pretty disgusting in all other circumstances, but I want it on my cheesesteak. I am annoyed by the number of places around here that don't offer wiz.

16. i killed judas.

i killed judas. Senior member

I think Steve's Prince of Steaks are underrated and so is Chinks. Jim's is very good as well.

This. I am from South Jersey, have lived in Philly the past 4 years, and have been going to Chinks literally since I was born. There is nothing like leaving there with your clothes reeking of cheesesteak. Gino's and Pat's have become tourist traps. And I don't like how they don't melt the cheese. Tony Luke's has moved into grocery-store--brand, frozen, boxed, steak-um like things. Jims is good too.

17. romafan

romafan Senior member

Skip both of them and just go to Reading Terminal and get a hot roast beef sandwich from DiNic's.

DiNic's, now you're talking. I like(d) their roast pork w/ roasted green peppers & aged provolone[​IMG] I'd put it in my Top-10 Sandwiches of All Time....[​IMG]

18. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

lolwut?

19. the shah

the shah Senior member

pats and ginos are way overrated.

wogies in nyc is pretty damn good

i'm sure you eat a lot of cheese steaks with all the money you stole from me over the last 6 months

20. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

lolwut?

Haha, yea the owner, used to be called a "chink" when he was a child in his neighborhood, due to the fact that he looked Asian.