• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
are you sure?

the 6x2 is just an extra set of buttons for aesthetics.

I just mean, if you were to add the extra buttons, it would make the suit more conservative, thus making it more durable aesthetically.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmb
It is interesting that the view has developed over time -- since the 80's maybe? that the DB is considered 'fashion forward'... the DB was the conservative, establishment buisness suit until JFK wore single breasted suits as POTUS... he killed the db and the fedora...
There was a recent commercial for some auto insurance policy company where the oppressive competition was "Mr Fat Cat" auto insurance policy and his personification was a well groomed man in a double breasted striped suit. I will actually be getting a couple in the near future, the recent world events have caused me once and for all to realize no one cares anymore, do what you like; as long as it looks good.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming 6x2 is standard for DB's right now?

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I miss the DB suit I had ten years ago. I looked fabulous in it. More stylish than the ho-hum two button every one else wears. However I have to sheepishly admit that Carson Kressley's ranting on Queer Eye influenced me into not wearing a DB suit again. I ended up giving it to my Hungarian friend when wearing it looks like an Italian diplomat in it. Might be time to revisit the double breast.

This also raises the question: "Which jacket type is most flattering for a man with a beer gut?"

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures in this thread, I now feel a strange urge to buy a db suit. I'd definitely want a solid color one, perhaps charcoal or a lighter gray... What do y'all think is looks better on db suits: solids or patterns? I can't help but associate pinstripe db suits with the mafia.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
I can't help but associate pinstripe db suits with the mafia.

That depends on the pinstripe. You can certainly find a conservative charcoal or navy worsted with a white stripe that looks discreet. Try H. Lesser or Smith Woollens books, if you have access to them.

A couple of examples:

From the Henry Poole website:
bluechalkstripeDB.jpg

From the JJ Minnis website:
min0617.jpg

These are just two examples. Neither, I think, would make one look like a member of the mafia. It might take some research if going for RTW.

Frog in Suit

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Also known as a bead stripe, they are much less pronounced than something heavy like a rope tripe, which come off as Mafia-esque. Also, the width of the stripes does change things: the bigger the distance between stripes, the nearer one moves to Mobsville.

Originally Posted by Frog in Suit
That depends on the pinstripe. You can certainly find a conservative charcoal or navy worsted with a white stripe that looks discreet. Try H. Lesser or Smith Woollens books, if you have access to them.

A couple of examples:

From the Henry Poole website:
bluechalkstripeDB.jpg

From the JJ Minnis website:
min0617.jpg

These are just two examples. Neither, I think, would make one look like a member of the mafia. It might take some research if going for RTW.

Frog in Suit

MLIW

Reaction score
I personally think db looks better if you have smaller pinstripes instead of the larger ones as seen above...

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MLIW
I personally think db looks better if you have smaller pinstripes instead of the larger ones as seen above...

I would also suggest that members of criminal organizations would wear black with stripes. Using navy instead, even with a fairly bold stripe, one should be safe from any distasteful association...

Frog in Suit

Reckoner

Reaction score
DB isn't for me unfortunately. I dunno ... I just can't get used to it.

I'm a modern, single breasted type.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
thanks vox.
so is the 4x2 (shown above) a classic as well on par with the elegance of a 6x2?

thanks. how do they do this? is it easily done at the tailors, assuming i can get a set of same buttons.

4x2 is not as conventional or classic as 4x2 but it is no less acceptable or elegant. It is just a minor stylistic variation on a theme. Changing from 6x2 to 4x2 will not make the suit more or less stylish or long-lived or anything else.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff

the recent world events have caused me once and for all to realize no one cares anymore, do what you like; as long as it looks good.

Amen, brother!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
4x2 is not as conventional or classic as 4x2 but it is no less acceptable or elegant. It is just a minor stylistic variation on a theme. Changing from 6x2 to 4x2 will not make the suit more or less stylish or long-lived or anything else.

Originally Posted by Will
Many of the photos of the late Duke of Windsor show just that.

thanks. where can i find these photos of duke or windsor? google images?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads