• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just want the pants - should I buy the jacket as well?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm having a bit of a whinge here. I saw this pair of wool dress pants that I like - dark blue with a herringbone stripe. In case you don't know it gets bloody hot in Australia - it was 115F the other day, and has been for the past week. Yes, even by our standards thats a heatwave but the temps in summer (which basically lasts from November to April) are too hot for a suit and tie considering our 3rd world, un-airconditioned transport system.

So I go try on this pair of pants, and then when I'm ready to take them the assistant says I have to buy the jacket that comes with them. The two items are tagged and priced seperately, so am I being naïve to think I can purchase them seperately?

FYI the pants are about US$150 and the jacket is more like $400, so in essence I'll be paying $550 for a pair of $150 pants. Any suggestions as to my next move? Anyone think I'm wrong to want just the pants and I should cough up the extra money?? Please, let me have it!

mert54

Reaction score
the manager should let you, it would be ridiculous for them to be priced separately, but have to be bought together.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to have the suit. If the pants are those shown in your avatar, I would not turn down the opportunity.

Obviously they are priced to be separates.

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
You could try getting someone else to go in and buy them with the instructions to say they already have the suit but need a spare pair of trousers.

penguin vic

Reaction score
If the pants are priced separately you should be able to buy them separately.

It's not usually too hot for a suit and tie in Melbourne during summer.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the affirmations fellas, for a moment I thought I was being precious just wanting the trousers, but obviously I wasn't.

Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
The sales person strikes me as being totally absurd. Talk to a manager.

I actually went to two seperate stores in my quest for these pants and got the same line. Sounds like a company policy to me, albeit a completely absurd one, especially in this retail climate. They might have had A$250 in the hand, but instead are likely to get $0. I probably should have insisted I talk to a manager, but as I said, I doubt I would have got a different story.

In any case, I've had time to think about it and on reflection, regardless of whether I could purchase the trousers seperately, I can do better for the money. I'm a rather tall fellow, and the hems would have to have been taken down to the max, and even then they might have been a cm or so short.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Standard Toaster
You could try getting someone else to go in and buy them with the instructions to say they already have the suit but need a spare pair of trousers.

That's actually a plausible scenario that reveals the absurdity of this 'policy'. What about a customer whose pant size is different to his jacket size? Would such a person have to buy two suits so he could have one pair of pants and one jacket that fitted him correctly? The whole thing really gets my goat!
devil.gif

Originally Posted by penguin vic
It's not usually too hot for a suit and tie in Melbourne during summer.

Usually I'd agree - I'm in Sydney currently and as you probably know the humidity here is much worse than Melb - and so is the inferno-like public transport. I must have seen about 5 people this summer collapse on our overcrowded, overheated trains, but don't start me on them...

Therefore in summer I usually only wear a suit/tie about twice a week as my work doesn't really require it or discourage it either, and for me, some days it is simply too hot for a suit. On really hot/humid days I go shirt-sleeves and open neck, hence my need for some stylish fitted wool trousers...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
At that price you could get bespoke trousers made. They would fit better and you could get it made of even better cloth than the rubbish they normally use for the RTW ones.

That's a good suggestion. I get my business shirts bespoke as the value for money and quality is in a different league to what you get with RTW. Perhaps this is worthy of its own thread but, where in Sydney can you get bespoke trousers for around AU$300??

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
That's a good suggestion. I get my business shirts bespoke as the value for money and quality is in a different league to what you get with RTW. Perhaps this is worthy of its own thread but, where in Sydney can you get bespoke trousers for around AU$300??

You might want to speak with phatguido as he seems to be quite familiar with different clothing MTM and possibly Bespoke options in Sydney.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is something in this thread that is directly relevant to the BlazerSuitâ„¢, but I can't quite put my finger in it.

- B

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam Disano makes trousers for about $200-240 or so, plus cost of cloth. If you source your own cloth (Sam is more than happy to take customer's cloth) then it is very economical. He has books by H Lesser there too. You can also source from here:

http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/hardyminnis/index.asp

Sam Disano
Horwood Pl Car Park Station Shop 3,
Parramatta 2150
(02) 9689 1070

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads