• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb things we see in the gym...

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
there was a posing room in my old gym with a purrell-like dispenser filled with posing oil. enough said.

uggh...I've seen some weird stuff over the years but that takes the cake. A body oil dispenser?

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
people who don't train legs
That was very common in the 80's but I do not see that much anymore. Though I probably am guilty of some of the other things.
blush.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I was actually thinking the same thing, walking lunges seem pretty normal to me.

Everyone at my gym does this. But there's a lot of space for it.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, I do that every now and again. I don't like working with anybody, because I don't like the talking that goes with it. but every now and again, I do need a spot. I try to grab people before I need it, rather than after, but that has happened, too.

This is why I tend to stick to the Smith machine and flies. I would like to do straight bench presses more though.

Yesterday at the gym, I was doing ab work on the mats. Not too many people around, two or three of us, tops. About 200 square feet of mat space. A 40-ish year old trainer proceeds to move her charge into a position where as I come down in my sit-up, her charge (doing those butterfly swim things on her belly) will be molesting my head. I nearly swore at the trainer but ended up moving over three feet to one of the many free spaces.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.)\tWhy is the fattest, ugliest, oldest dude always walking around naked in the gym? This seems to be every gym too. I really do not want to see you.

2.)\tOK, you are going to the gym, do you have to circle the parking lot for 20 minutes to get the closest spot?

3.)\tBouncing plates on the cable machines. Triceps pushdowns all the way up and down like you are some flapping idiot.

4.)\tSocial Hour. There are only 4 flat benches, do you need to have an hour conversation while sitting on one?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i saw a guy doing up and down pressdowns and corrected him. he thanked me profusely and said he wished someone would have helped him before but he was embarassed to ask.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Crossfit never fails to deliver.

lefty

Damn. First thought in my mind when I saw the picture.

JohnRov

Reaction score
People using Smith machines. Probably one of the worst pieces of equipment ever invented. Also, using the power rack to hold the EZ-curl bar so the person doesn't have to bend down to pick it up each set.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnRov
People using Smith machines. Probably one of the worst pieces of equipment ever invented. Also, using the power rack to hold the EZ-curl bar so the person doesn't have to bend down to pick it up each set.

Sorry, do not agree with either. The first is, IMHO, just wrong. the Smith machine serves valid functions and can be incorporated into works outs. I tend to rely on it, for example, if I want to do a heavier than usual decline BB, but am without a spotter. I recognize that not using the Smith recruits stabilizers muscles more effectively and that one has to follow the prescribed range of motion on the Smith. That is why I do not rely on the Smith exclusively, but it can play a role in a mixed program.

As to the power rack, I think it is less about it being dumb and more about a certain laziness.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
The sad anorexic girl that works out twice a day, before and after work, for two hours at a time. She runs and lifts, but is a skeleton.

That really is sad. I hate it when I see that; for some reason you can see the insecurity and pain of those girl more glaringly than you can in any other compromised individual. I can have the cruel tendency to write people off sometimes by saying that they make stupid decisions and deserve their fate, but for some reason these girls really get to me.

JohnRov

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Sorry, do not agree with either. The first is, IMHO, just wrong. the Smith machine serves valid functions and can be incorporated into works outs. I tend to rely on it, for example, if I want to do a heavier than usual decline BB, but am without a spotter. I recognize that not using the Smith recruits stabilizers muscles more effectively and that one has to follow the prescribed range of motion on the Smith. That is why I do not rely on the Smith exclusively, but it can play a role in a mixed program.

As to the power rack, I think it is less about it being dumb and more about a certain laziness.

I've seen no Smith Machine that takes into account the anatomy of each user and accomodates their particular groove in a lift. There is certainly increased chance of injury with a SM as opposed to the opposite, which its proponents would argue.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't know why everyone hates on the smith machine. sure, it's limited but its good when you train alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads