• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb things we see in the gym...

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnRov
I've seen no Smith Machine that takes into account the anatomy of each user and accomodates their particular groove in a lift. There is certainly increased chance of injury with a SM as opposed to the opposite, which its proponents would argue.

Well, sure. It is not designed for that purpose. I do not believe there to be any evidence of an increased risk of injury with the Smith nor do I think that, done correctly, there is any logical reason for the increased risk of injury. As Kunk and I point out, it is a limited piece of equipment that can be quite useful when training alone. I do not use the Smith all the time and I do not use it for every thing, but it is a fine tool for the uses I do make of it.

If your grievance is that it is overused or even sometimes used incorrectly, I would grant you that in a heart beat.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^also good for one-armed barbell rows and one-armed shoulder presses which i wouldn't do alone or w/out a spotter.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Smith machines are good for pull-ups.

Ok, ok, they're good for hanging rows too.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, good for pullups with blast straps

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from annoying teens hogging the equipment after school and leaving the place looking like their basement rec-room, I remember one guy who did nothing but bench press.

Yes you read correct nothing but bench press with an olympic bar with plates, he would hog a bench for over an hour and load up the equivelent of a Mercedes Smart car. Thing is he was not that big and did not work out any other muscle group. Odd.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
yes, good for pullups with blast straps

Did those yesterday with an X-vest. Awesome...never did them before.

- B

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^cool. every few weeks i do a blast-strap/sled workout at home in lieu of a trip to the gym. straps were the best $40 i ever spent.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
^cool. every few weeks i do a blast-strap/sled workout at home in lieu of a trip to the gym. straps were the best $40 i ever spent.

I also did a sled workout yesterday...a few rounds of 20 pulls. I always feel like I'm going to die afterwards.

- B

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
yeah, there is a sense of comraderie in a gym, as you see the same guys doing the same lifts at the same times. it's like going to a bar, you see all the same faces.

what motivates me is watching hot girls in sexy outfits doing their workouts. God Bless America!

seamless74

Reaction score
Yeah i have to agree with the earlier poster. The unabashed nakedness in the mens lockeroom is disgusting. unfortunately at my gym on my way to the pisser you have to go through the lockeroom which is of course attached to the hot tub. So in essence you get these old fat disgusting lookin gentlemen totall relaxed spread eagle on the benches in there and of course they have the obligatory towels.. on the top of their heads lol... Its really disturbing not so much how bad they look but their utter comfort in lettin everyone see it.

One of my biggest peeves with out a doubt is number one weight droppers.. I know your huge, I know your intense, and i most definately know you um... supplement, but god i hate dumbell droppers..

And i also cant stand couples who work out together, i mean i know some of these couples it makes prefect sense i guess but for like 80% i know its pretty much gonna be the death knell in their relationship you know like its gotten to the point if they dont try and spend more time together there gonna break up type thing.. which working out together only excaserbates the situation.. Plus it makes the girls who are constantly checkin out every other guy in the gym when their man is doing his reps hard to talk to..

unexpected

Reaction score

kunk, what do you attach the blast straps to at home? All of the ones I've seen (very limited number) have them attached to bars....

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of rings from http://www.ringtraining.com and i have a pull up bar in my door that i usually attach them to. also its easy to find a tree or any other cross bar to hang them from.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have them clipped to a wide chin-up bar in my home office.

Originally Posted by unexpected
kunk, what do you attach the blast straps to at home? All of the ones I've seen (very limited number) have them attached to bars....

markb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seamless74
Yeah i have to agree with the earlier poster. The unabashed nakedness in the mens lockeroom is disgusting. unfortunately at my gym on my way to the pisser you have to go through the lockeroom which is of course attached to the hot tub. So in essence you get these old fat disgusting lookin gentlemen totall relaxed spread eagle on the benches in there and of course they have the obligatory towels.. on the top of their heads lol... Its really disturbing not so much how bad they look but their utter comfort in lettin everyone see it.

LOL - as one of the older fat naked guys at the gym I'm really glad our efforts are paying off in making all the young nambi-pambi shy guys upset. You know, we don't really care if you look or not and we certainly don't care about looking at you. We revel in the fact that we are just guys who don't have to worry about such silly things anymore.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this could be cured by opening a gym for naked old fat men, a la Curves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics