• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do to your face after shaving ?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
before you drop $$$, visit badgerandblade. They know a lot about razors, and their b/s/t forum typically has a few out there for reasonable prices.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't get a razor with teeth like that! That is for those with very very tough beards, if you have sensitive skin it will be a nightmare on your face. This is the razor you would do best getting, the Merkur HD: edit: The Merkur Progress has its fans, but if you want an adjustable (which isn't necessary at all IMO), go for a Futur. I have about 7 double edge razors, many of which are adjustable...and I always go back to my 40s era Gillette Superspeed (non adjustable). If you get that Merkur HD that is the only razor you will really ever need.
HD.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always shave in the shower then apply lotion after. Never really had a problem but I can't see how anyone can shave anywhere else but the shower. It softens up the beard so much.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, going to pick up an HD this weekend. I really hope this is the solution to my shaving pains!
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just be patient with it, and keep in mind there is a learning curve. Not to worry though. Once you experience the luxury of lathering on your face with a badger hair shaving brush, and feel the sensation of a real piece of steel slicing the hair off your face, you'll be hooked.

Also, I cannot recommend shaving in the shower. If you slip and drop the razor on yourself, that will likely mean a trip to the emergency room!

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Merkur HD long handle, Truefit & Hill 1805, Badger brush, and Baxter after shave..
It was a great shave, exactly what ive been looking for.. It cut the hair above the skin so it doesnt have to break through my face and cause irritation/zits..

This is the first shave that i havn't had any skin problems!
Thanks for everyone help

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good, another convert! It only gets better from there too, great job!

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Normally I shave with my Merkur DE and then just use the C.O. Bigelow Witch Hazel Toner from Bath & Body Works. Don't really have any complaints but I like to change things up so I might try something else after this runs out.

cvac

Reaction score
+1 on the Thayers. I recently got a bottle of the Alcohol Free Rose scent and really like it a lot. Works great for sensitive skin and doesn't burn at all.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but an inexpensive aftershave that works pretty well is Nivea Sensitive "extra soothing" balm. It's also alcohol free and even receives decent marks from the folks at badgerandblade.com

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shave my head in the shower with Aveeno shave gel and a Mach 3 Turbo. Then I shave my face in front of the mirror right after.

Followed by ice cold water on my head and neck. Followed by Witch Hazel. Followed by Neutragena soothing balm (the white bottle for sensative skin).

Pretty basic routine but it works.

Reaction score
I just tried Thayer's Lemon, having already sampled the original, something else, and lavender, varieties, and I quite like it! Maybe my favorite so far... Lotus, how do you like the Truefit 1805? I am about to place an order on Classic Shaving (feather blades) and I am thinking of getting Taylor's Almond shaving cream. Am curious about T & H, as I have only used Proraso, and the unscented Classic Shaving soap puck, to date.

RyanM

Reaction score
1. sharps daily prep skin tuner toner
2. trufitt and hill ultimate comfort aftershave
3. sharps daily prep tuning lotion moisterizer
4. malin and goetz eye cream
5. malin and goetz lip balm

this is after shaving with a merkur HD double edge, with trufitt and hill ultimate comfort shaving cream (with brush and bowl), and occasionally i'll use trufitt and hill pre-shave oil

RyanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
Is something like the Merkur HD really that much different than using a Gillette 'mach 3' type razor ?
Is it more for aesthetics or will it actually make a difference with pain of sharp hair growing back in through my skin ?

there is a whole forum devoted to "wetshaving", at badger and blade.
also, this guy has good videos on youtube about double edge shaving.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads