• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

N00b Question: How do you cope with people who are uncomfortable with your being "dressed up" all the time?

king_of_cups

Reaction score
I feel silly asking this...

I live in the Inland Empire, CA (for those of you not familiar, think of somewhere halfway between LA and Las Vegas), so basically *deep* in suburbs/exurbs. I really feel like "me" in more classic clothes, but it feels like other people around me get noticeably uncomfortable when I show up anywhere in anything beyond polo shirt/chinos/untucked OCBD/etc.-type outfits. I don't care that people don't dress like me, I just want to feel good in what I'm wearing; but, I find myself buying clothes that make me happy and socking them away in my closet for events/situations that never come, because dressing anything besides ultra-casually is frowned upon.

I know that being dressed well doesn't necessarily mean being dressed up all the time, but dressed appropriately for situations. But what if nobody else around you *ever* dresses up, and worse, they're uncomfortable (and in some cases, insulted) with you dressing how you want? Is this something others here run into, and if so, how do/did you deal?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel silly asking this...

I live in the Inland Empire, CA (for those of you not familiar, think of somewhere halfway between LA and Las Vegas), so basically *deep* in suburbs/exurbs. I really feel like "me" in more classic clothes, but it feels like other people around me get noticeably uncomfortable when I show up anywhere in anything beyond polo shirt/chinos/untucked OCBD/etc.-type outfits. I don't care that people don't dress like me, I just want to feel good in what I'm wearing; but, I find myself buying clothes that make me happy and socking them away in my closet for events/situations that never come, because dressing anything besides ultra-casually is frowned upon.

I know that being dressed well doesn't necessarily mean being dressed up all the time, but dressed appropriately for situations. But what if nobody else around you *ever* dresses up, and worse, they're uncomfortable (and in some cases, insulted) with you dressing how you want? Is this something others here run into, and if so, how do/did you deal?
I'm in Orange County so I know of this Inland Empire of which you speak.
I can't see that area EVER turning around. So my advice would be to cultivate some friends/hobbies more coastal so you can spend time there on occasion, or schedule some frequent 3 day weekends dressing to the nines in Vegas.
When I was younger, my best friend lived in god awful Rancho Cucamonga.
Almost every Friday night, I'd pick him up on the way and we'd be in Vegas by midnight.

king_of_cups

Reaction score
I'm in Orange County so I know of this Inland Empire of which you speak.
I can't see that area EVER turning around. So my advice would be to cultivate some friends/hobbies more coastal so you can spend time there on occasion, or schedule some frequent 3 day weekends dressing to the nines in Vegas.
When I was younger, my best friend lived in god awful Rancho Cucamonga.
Almost every Friday night, I'd pick him up on the way and we'd be in Vegas by midnight.

lol yeah, I'm in Redlands, even further from LA than Rancho! I'm holding out hope that Palm Springs will be something of a style oasis, but I haven't been able to get out there in the evenings for a non-Tiki-bar situation in a while. PS doesn't live up to its own hype, IMO. I should try Vegas, but it's a haul! Can you recommend any OC places for quiet, stylish drinks?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol yeah, I'm in Redlands, even further from LA than Rancho! I'm holding out hope that Palm Springs will be something of a style oasis, but I haven't been able to get out there in the evenings for a non-Tiki-bar situation in a while. PS doesn't live up to its own hype, IMO. I should try Vegas, but it's a haul! Can you recommend any OC places for quiet, stylish drinks?
Plenty down in Newport and Laguna.
They constantly seem to churn and all my old favorites are gone.
In Newport, I like The Winery. They have an add on section for cigar smokers right on the water.
If you want a OC Cliché annoying rich person pick up spot, there's Javier's, and Mastros Ocean Club is in the same parking lot.
I live 5 seconds from South Coast Plaza and there are many options here.
Knife Pleat is high end with great drinks. They make to go cocktails as well so you can drink while you shop.
Anqi I like for happy hour. Asian/red decor/velvet type place with a decent cocktail selection and great food.
The Water Grill, Vaca, Capital Grille etc.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a concept of levels of formality. The higher the number, the more formal. Dressing one or more levels above often will produce discomfort. Therefore, try to not quite do a full level of extra formality. For example, limit the excess to moderate dressiness in one or two items. Picture a purple-striped dress shirt instead of a polo shirt and Rockports like these (blucher, nubuck upper, contrasting sole that's not very rubbery) Rockport Big Bucks Margin | Zappos.com instead of, say, Van's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads