1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to your face after shaving ?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by FlyingLotus, Oct 5, 2008.

1. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

before you drop $$$, visit badgerandblade. They know a lot about razors, and their b/s/t forum typically has a few out there for reasonable prices.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Don't get a razor with teeth like that! That is for those with very very tough beards, if you have sensitive skin it will be a nightmare on your face. This is the razor you would do best getting, the Merkur HD: edit: The Merkur Progress has its fans, but if you want an adjustable (which isn't necessary at all IMO), go for a Futur. I have about 7 double edge razors, many of which are adjustable...and I always go back to my 40s era Gillette Superspeed (non adjustable). If you get that Merkur HD that is the only razor you will really ever need. [​IMG]

4. suited

suited Senior member

I always shave in the shower then apply lotion after. Never really had a problem but I can't see how anyone can shave anywhere else but the shower. It softens up the beard so much.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

6. FlyingLotus

Thanks for all the help guys, going to pick up an HD this weekend. I really hope this is the solution to my shaving pains! [​IMG]

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Just be patient with it, and keep in mind there is a learning curve. Not to worry though. Once you experience the luxury of lathering on your face with a badger hair shaving brush, and feel the sensation of a real piece of steel slicing the hair off your face, you'll be hooked.

Also, I cannot recommend shaving in the shower. If you slip and drop the razor on yourself, that will likely mean a trip to the emergency room!

8. FlyingLotus

I picked up a Merkur HD long handle, Truefit & Hill 1805, Badger brush, and Baxter after shave..
    It was a great shave, exactly what ive been looking for.. It cut the hair above the skin so it doesnt have to break through my face and cause irritation/zits..

This is the first shave that i havn't had any skin problems!
    Thanks for everyone help

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Good, another convert! It only gets better from there too, great job!

10. RedLetterDay

RedLetterDay Senior member

Normally I shave with my Merkur DE and then just use the C.O. Bigelow Witch Hazel Toner from Bath & Body Works. Don't really have any complaints but I like to change things up so I might try something else after this runs out.

11. cvac

cvac Senior member

+1 on the Thayers. I recently got a bottle of the Alcohol Free Rose scent and really like it a lot. Works great for sensitive skin and doesn't burn at all.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but an inexpensive aftershave that works pretty well is Nivea Sensitive "extra soothing" balm. It's also alcohol free and even receives decent marks from the folks at badgerandblade.com

12. tricky

tricky Senior member

I shave my head in the shower with Aveeno shave gel and a Mach 3 Turbo. Then I shave my face in front of the mirror right after.

Followed by ice cold water on my head and neck. Followed by Witch Hazel. Followed by Neutragena soothing balm (the white bottle for sensative skin).

Pretty basic routine but it works.

13. denimdestroyedmylife

I just tried Thayer's Lemon, having already sampled the original, something else, and lavender, varieties, and I quite like it! Maybe my favorite so far... Lotus, how do you like the Truefit 1805? I am about to place an order on Classic Shaving (feather blades) and I am thinking of getting Taylor's Almond shaving cream. Am curious about T & H, as I have only used Proraso, and the unscented Classic Shaving soap puck, to date.

14. RyanM

RyanM Senior member

1. sharps daily prep skin tuner toner
    2. trufitt and hill ultimate comfort aftershave
    3. sharps daily prep tuning lotion moisterizer
    4. malin and goetz eye cream
    5. malin and goetz lip balm

this is after shaving with a merkur HD double edge, with trufitt and hill ultimate comfort shaving cream (with brush and bowl), and occasionally i'll use trufitt and hill pre-shave oil

15. RyanM

RyanM Senior member

Is something like the Merkur HD really that much different than using a Gillette 'mach 3' type razor ?
    Is it more for aesthetics or will it actually make a difference with pain of sharp hair growing back in through my skin ?

there is a whole forum devoted to "wetshaving", at badger and blade.
    also, this guy has good videos on youtube about double edge shaving.

16. FlyingLotus

I just tried Thayer's Lemon, having already sampled the original, something else, and lavender, varieties, and I quite like it! Maybe my favorite so far... Lotus, how do you like the Truefit 1805? I am about to place an order on Classic Shaving (feather blades) and I am thinking of getting Taylor's Almond shaving cream. Am curious about T & H, as I have only used Proraso, and the unscented Classic Shaving soap puck, to date.
    I really like the T&H 1805, It is my first shaving creme I've used though so I cant really compare it against anything else, but I can say it gives me a nice lather and smells awesome. It was recommended to me by the owner of Momentum Grooming http://www.momentumgrooming.com

17. denimdestroyedmylife

Thanks for getting back to me. I went for a tub of Taylors of Bond Street: Mr Taylor. Picked up the shaving cream on Amazon from one of their sellers. And also picked up 100 Derby blades for $15!

What blades are you using? I picked up a sampler pack from Letter K on Badger & Blade and it lasted me forever. It is nice to get a feel for what is out there.

18. FlyingLotus

I have only used Merkur blades so far, they seem pretty good to start with as i'm pretty confident I wont nick myself with them.

Thats a nice deal on the derby blades! Let me know what you think of those when you try them out.

19. javyn

javyn Senior member

I find the Derby blades to be a bit sharper than Merkur, but not as sharp as Swedish Gillettes or Feather blades....the perfect balance for me. Everyone should try Feather blades at least once [​IMG]

20. denimdestroyedmylife

My last shave was with a Merkur and it went okay. They are probably my least favorite, really. And yes, everyone should try a Feather blade. It is like shaving with a light saber.

Also, DO NOT shave with the Merkur blade that was included free with your razor. They tend to be old, less sharp, and very dicey.