1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to your face after shaving ?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by FlyingLotus, Oct 5, 2008.

1. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Also, DO NOT shave with the Merkur blade that was included free with your razor. They tend to be old, less sharp, and very dicey.

lol - good to know, i was wondering about that.. i'll throw that one away

2. mrtimt12

mrtimt12 Member

3. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

Witch Hazel, stops the red bumps. The stuff stinks though.

4. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

Dozens of little Japanese flags when its an off morning.

Otherwise some sort of aftershave. If its a balm like Floris, then I just use that. If it's an alcohol based splash like Old Spice or Aqua Velve I throw on a moisturizer after its all dry.

This is all after a double edge shave. Back when I used things like the Mach3 and Fusion, it was always Japanese flags.

5. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Senior member

i use that anthony ingrown hair treatment...works great! i highly endorse it

6. booby_shoes

booby_shoes Member

I did nothing, at first. Then, I used Nivea Post-Shave Lotion which seemed to do nothing. This thread has me seriously considering buying a new razor and using aftershave.

I hear a lot of talk about a Merkur, but it's pricey. Are Parkers(?) any good?

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Ehhh....Parkers are more cheaply made. I'd fork out the extra $$$ for a Merkur. Yeah they are expensive, but when you factor in the cost of the blades, you'll see a Merkur plus double edged blades are FAR cheaper than a cartridge razor like the Mach 3 or Fusion.

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Cost per use, people. A Merkur will outlast you; you can pass it down after you die in a fire.

I just got in a Mr. Taylor shave cream in a tub today. I opened up and gave it a good whiff; it smells manly, as a shaving cream should. I cannot wait to give it a whirl.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Exactly. When a double edge blade is only costing around 20 cents as opposed to a 3 - 5 dollar replacement cartridge for a M3 or Fusion, that doesn't even last as long as the blade anyway, it wont' take long for that Merkur to pay for itself! Use that saved money for a badger brush!

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

BACK ON TOPIC GENTLEMEN....

After I shave I splash cold water on my face, then I slap myself vigorously across the face three times on each cheek while I scream*. This lessens the effect of the alcohol which stings un-mercifully but tightens my skin until I achieve the glow of a well-preserved saddle. After that I may indulge in a bit of pepper spray in my eyes to distract me from the razor burn, and once I wipe away the tears and snot, I'm ready for work.

* - Sometimes Mrs. Thomas offers to take up the slapping duties depending on how shabbily I've treated her the prior evening.

11. denimdestroyedmylife

I love to slap myself, too! I like to think it sends the aftershave straight into the brains.

12. LapelQueen

LapelQueen Active Member

I have a little man in Andalucia who tri-annually prepares for me a refined preparation consisting of several almost-extinct wild herbs. I apply this daily upon my freshly shaved profile in the morning and before retiring in the evening. If I run out, or customs intercepts the consignment, I resort to Nivea or some such.

13. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I don't shave that often since I look pretty good with my redneck stubble. Even girls that don't like facial hair seems to like me with stubble.

When I do shave I get as close of shave as possible. I go against the grain. Not sure someone face could take that daily. Also I shave in the shower to make it easier on my skin. When I am finished I use a apricot scrub to promote the hair growing in without much irritation.

14. HatMagnet

HatMagnet Well-Known Member

BACK ON TOPIC GENTLEMEN....

After I shave I splash cold water on my face, then I slap myself vigorously across the face three times on each cheek while I scream*. This lessens the effect of the alcohol which stings un-mercifully but tightens my skin until I achieve the glow of a well-preserved saddle. After that I may indulge in a bit of pepper spray in my eyes to distract me from the razor burn, and once I wipe away the tears and snot, I'm ready for work.

* - Sometimes Mrs. Thomas offers to take up the slapping duties depending on how shabbily I've treated her the prior evening.

[​IMG]

15. denimdestroyedmylife

I just got in a Mr. Taylor shave cream in a tub today. I opened up and gave it a good whiff; it smells manly, as a shaving cream should. I cannot wait to give it a whirl.
    ^ Sidetracking the thread once again just to say I had the best shave of my life using Mr. Taylor shave cream and a Merkur razor blade (again, not my favorite razor blade). I have only achieved the legendary BBS shave a couple times in my life, but I expect that I am going to nail it every time from this point forward. Such a fragrant, cushion-y lather.