• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Even the black ones? I don't think I've ever seen any good pairs.

poly's sams were good. and i've seen a guy in the PBJ thread on sufu that had some nice black ones. idk i already have my NS and a pair of Cap e's for indigo, grey NS and i just want a pair of black jeans to round out the group.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying that black jeans tend to take longer to fade so you shouldn't make "quick to fade" one of your criteria.

pruppert

Reaction score
Premo.

If you pulled them up I think you would lose some of the extra fabric in back. But who's to say that'd be comfortable for you.

Otherwise they look pretty good, I think even from the back they're fine, especially once they're broken in a touch.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
premo it looks fine as it is you'll like them a lot when they break in more.

another note just me but after exclusively wearing dry denim everyday only. i'm kind of tired of all the stacking for me since i'm short. sometimes i want to hem them but then i'd think i'd be ruining the whole purpose.

i think i need a regular pair of pre wash levis for when i need a break.

migo

Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm trying to buy Tsubi DeeDee's and just wanted to know if they fit true to size...aka is a 28 really a 28 or is it vanity sized at all? Also, how much do they shrink? The one's I want to buy aren't raw, so I'm not worried about fading.

shade449

Reaction score
What's the exact taper on the black KMW 1980's? I've been looking around and the best I've gotten is that it's a slim jean with a slight taper. I've been looking for some nice black jeans and everyone seems to have good things to say about this one.

The two jeans that I wear all the time are APC New Cures and Nudie TF's Dry Grey Coated, both in size 31 (although both are a little loose in the waist). Would going size 31 as well with the KMW's be alright?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shade449
What's the exact taper on the black KMW 1980's? I've been looking around and the best I've gotten is that it's a slim jean with a slight taper. I've been looking for some nice black jeans and everyone seems to have good things to say about this one.

Fairly sure the 1980 is a slim straight leg, the rocker and 1950 are tapered.

GiantSwan

Reaction score
Hey everyone... I have some questions about dry denim and the like. I know all the answers must have been posted before, but after about an hour with the search function i was starting to wonder if maybe someone could just direct me to the answers.

Right now, and for the next year at least, I'm living in Okayama, Japan. Much to my surprise it turns out that Kojima, the town where a lot of high end Japanese denim is made, is maybe a half hour's train ride from me, so it seems that the logical thing to do would be to buy some at the source. I'm thinking probably some momotaro or edwin jeans (both have stores here in Okayama).

I've never bought dry or 1 wash jeans before... I mean I own a couple of pairs of diesels, but that appears to be quite a different animal. so what's all this business with soaking? If I buy jeans that fit in the store will they totally change fits on me? I know i shouldn't wash them for a long time, but what's the procedure when I finally do? Basically, what do I need to know before I buy? I know these are really basic questions, but is there some introductory resource for those who aren't in the know? momotaros claim they don't shrink... they're 1 wash, apparently in the water of the inland sea, and I have no idea about edwin. thanks in advance, and sorry if i missed some really obvious resource.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GiantSwan
Hey everyone... I have some questions about dry denim and the like. I know all the answers must have been posted before, but after about an hour with the search function i was starting to wonder if maybe someone could just direct me to the answers.

Right now, and for the next year at least, I'm living in Okayama, Japan. Much to my surprise it turns out that Kojima, the town where a lot of high end Japanese denim is made, is maybe a half hour's train ride from me, so it seems that the logical thing to do would be to buy some at the source. I'm thinking probably some momotaro or edwin jeans (both have stores here in Okayama).

I've never bought dry or 1 wash jeans before... I mean I own a couple of pairs of diesels, but that appears to be quite a different animal. so what's all this business with soaking? If I buy jeans that fit in the store will they totally change fits on me? I know i shouldn't wash them for a long time, but what's the procedure when I finally do? Basically, what do I need to know before I buy? I know these are really basic questions, but is there some introductory resource for those who aren't in the know? momotaros claim they don't shrink... they're 1 wash, apparently in the water of the inland sea, and I have no idea about edwin. thanks in advance, and sorry if i missed some really obvious resource.

http://wiki.styleforum.net/index.php..._and_Shrinkage

Anyone have an answer on the Tsubi dee dee question I posted above?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo;1270269[B
Anyone have an answer on the Tsubi dee dee question I posted above?[/b]
Can't really say for sure since I haven't tried them, but tobi says 33" waistband on a size 32. (looks like some other washes on their site measure 34 and 35 at the waistband, also for a size 32). http://www.tobi.com/product/6035-ksu...m-straight-leg I wouldn't really worry about shrinkage either, especially if they aren't raw.

shade449

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Fairly sure the 1980 is a slim straight leg, the rocker and 1950 are tapered.

Thanks for the quick reply. I might have to rethink the jeans then since I really do want at least a slight taper.

blynch

Reaction score
Quick size question. Would a size 31" in 5ep low down boot be correct for me? Waist is ~32.5" and this will be my second pair of raw denim. Currently have APC rescues size 29, which started snug in the waist, but are a bit loose now. Thighs on the APCs fit perfect (I have somewhat large thighs compared to my waist).

p.s. Can I expect the 5eps to go on sale any particular time of the year? I'm still breakin in the APCs, so I'm in no hurry to buy them.

Tourangh

Reaction score
I am about a month into my first pair of raws and I question has really popped up: Is there and bad results from alternating between cuffing and not cuffing at the hem? I find that I like to switch it up with the jeans but will this make the hem area look rather akward after a year?

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you probably might just get a fade where the crease is. shouldn't be too bad as long as the hem never skims across the ground when its folded otherwise you will have some nice holes there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads