• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jealousy is Ugly

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i was walking out to my car in our company's parking garage. two cars away from me is a brand new Porsche Cayman S that our IT Manager is showing off to some coworkers. i'd be lying if i said that i didn't feel a tinge of jealousy.

i'm not sure why that's the case. i could just as easily afford one but instead chose a Subaru which was paid off back in 06. the guy is a nice enough person and doesn't come off as an a-hole or d-bag.

anyway, just one of those random thoughts for the day...

-Jeff

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why? They both have boxer engines, right?
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have nothing personally against people who buy unnecessarily extravagant machines like that - I mean, the Cayman S actually does perform very well and all that - but still, I feel they are somehow wasteful and a bit insulting to the human race in general. I know it's just my latent commie tendencies coming out, but there are cooler things you could buy with much less money that I would respect a hell of a lot more. For example, even if you didn't restore it yourself, a cherry 60s Jag or Alfa, or even a Speedster would say much better things to me about a person, especially one who looks like he could afford a Cayman.

And if he doesn't track it, then please.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah, no offense to Matt BTW. I'm pretty sure he has taste. But most Cayman owners, present company excluded, seem pretty douchey to me.

stackey

Reaction score
you have the money, but you are probably confined by some thoughts/norms that you set up for yourself, so even though you desire a Porsche, you turn to a Subaru instead.

this norm can be (a) you portray yourself as a moral person that you should not waste money to buy such an unnessary stuff, (b) you portray you as a wise/prudent/seclusive person that those luxury things in the mundane world are utterly not enough to enchant you (c) you subconsciously deem that (maybe) your look doesnt suit those resplendent luxury cars. (d) any other thoughts.

in condition (b), you are looking down on other people becos you think you are wiser than those brand slaves (but obviously you overrated yourself)

and, the fact that that guy is no asshole indeed inflamed your jealousy (you cant be jealous of an asshole, can you?)

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Oh yeah, no offense to Matt BTW. I'm pretty sure he has taste. But most Cayman owners, present company excluded, seem pretty douchey to me.

Sorry, but your comments made me chuckle a little, considering this is a thread about jealousy....

Anyway, I owned a (used) '94 RX-7 in the US before the Fast and Furious movies came out. I was very young and most people seemed to assume that it was some exotic that cost an order of magnitude more than what I paid for it, so you can't imagine the kinds of comments and dirty looks I got on a fairly regular basis.

choowy

Reaction score
Subaru > Cayman. However, if it was a 911, then it would be a very different story...
boxing[1].gif

Every time I see someone driving a Cayman, I wonder why they didn't just pay the premium and buy THE Porsche, rather than just A Porsche.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by choowy
Every time I see someone driving a Cayman, I wonder why they didn't just pay the premium and buy THE Porsche, rather than just A Porsche.
Because the Cayman S is faster than a Carrera:

Nordschliefe lap times:
8:11 Cayman S
8:15 911 (997 Carrera 2)

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I have nothing personally against people who buy unnecessarily extravagant machines like that - I mean, the Cayman S actually does perform very well and all that - but still, I feel they are somehow wasteful and a bit insulting to the human race in general. I know it's just my latent commie tendencies coming out, but there are cooler things you could buy with much less money that I would respect a hell of a lot more. For example, even if you didn't restore it yourself, a cherry 60s Jag or Alfa, or even a Speedster would say much better things to me about a person, especially one who looks like he could afford a Cayman.

And if he doesn't track it, then please.

I understand that your tastes run towards the car mentioned later in your post, but the driving experience in each of those is vastly different than that of a Cayman. They are not the douchey/cool sides of the same coin.

I have never understood this negative reaction toward new, expensive sports cars. If your buying one just for the status, fine, it's just as bad as going out and getting a Submariner because that's what you think somebody with money is supposed to do. But Porsche makes wonderful cars that are a lot of fun to drive, and if you want a small mid-engined coupe in that price range that behaves like the cars they make, you're going to want to buy the Cayman. And the same goes for a host of sports cars at different varying price points.

Owning a sports car is a legitimate hobby that just happens to be more evident in your everyday life. What the hell is the point of money if you can't spend it on hobbies that you enjoy? Is quality clothing somehow a more justified expense than a car just because we're into it?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328

Nordschliefe lap times:

Wow. Four seconds.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328

Nordschliefe lap times:

If you just want speed, get a corvette.
plain.gif

eidolon

Reaction score
Insecurity is ugly.

trajan

Reaction score
Jealousy is supposed to be natural.

I, on the other hand, rarely feel jealous, and never about cars. There must be something wrong with me.
frown.gif

--trajan

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I understand that your tastes run towards the car mentioned later in your post, but the driving experience in each of those is vastly different than that of a Cayman. They are not the douchey/cool sides of the same coin.

I have never understood this negative reaction toward new, expensive sports cars. If your buying one just for the status, fine, it's just as bad as going out and getting a Submariner because that's what you think somebody with money is supposed to do. But Porsche makes wonderful cars that are a lot of fun to drive, and if you want a small mid-engined coupe in that price range that behaves like the cars they make, you're going to want to buy the Cayman. And the same goes for a host of sports cars at different varying price points.

Owning a sports car is a legitimate hobby that just happens to be more evident in your everyday life. What the hell is the point of money if you can't spend it on hobbies that you enjoy? Is quality clothing somehow a more justified expense than a car just because we're into it?

People like to feel better by being judgemental. Pretty simple, really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads