• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent suit in Australia

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Only once you have experienced a well made canvass construction coat will you really experience the tailoring equivalent of haute cuisine. If takeaway pizza and cask wine is all you have ever experienced and you are blissfully happy with it, stick with it. It is bad for the wallet when you have champagne tastes
tounge.gif

Amen to that!

simmo08

Reaction score
I recently came upon a tailor in Leichhardt (Sydney). His name is Antonio Intili and his shop is at 12 Renwick Street. Has anybody had any experience with him or heard about him?

misterjase

Reaction score
Are the Italian RTW brands: Canali, Cantarelli, Corneliani - a canvassed construction?

Who are the stockists around the Australian cities?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Henry Buck's and Mitchell Ogilvie stock Canali; Harrold's stock Corneliani. I believe that there is actually a Canali store in Sydney but I may be mistaken.

On a side note, I found an interesting article online. It may have been posted already but anyway: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-23272,00.html

canali is a new store where Zegna was at the top of Martin Place.

misterjase

Reaction score
There's a Zegna store in Collins Street, Melbourne as well as Martin Place, Sydney.

The situation with stockist of Italian RTW brands in Melbourne are far as I can determine via www is:
Canali - Henry Bucks
Cantarelli - Sarti
Corneliani - ???

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterjase
Are the Italian RTW brands: Canali, Cantarelli, Corneliani - a canvassed construction?

Who are the stockists around the Australian cities?

Mitchell Ogilvie (the store mentioned in the Courier-Mail article that someone linked to above) stocks both Corneliani and Canali in Brisbane. All their stock is fully canvassed, and all of it is horrendously expensive.

Canali do have a diffusion line, called Canali Proposta. I believe that the Proposta suits are either half-canvassed or fused and the lapels often have a keyhole, rather than a straight-cut buttonhole.

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Sam has an abjectly small shop in the obscure backstreets of Western Sydney - some 45mins from the conservative business dress. Next door are an African food store and a dodgy Chinese $2 store! He says he doesn't need to have a high profile store as he has a solid basis of old customers after many decades running a successful tailoring business on Hunter St in the conservative business dress. Lower overheads mean less costs to be handed down to the customer. He recently made a suit for Paul Keating. An old customer from his conservative business dress days came to him recently all the way from Canada to order some dozen lounge suits, overcoats and sports coats from Sam. Sam is wealthy enough that he doesn't need to make money. He could retire tomorrow and has retired once before. He does it because he loves to.

Thanks for the tips, Sator. Must check Sam out.

But 'the obscure backstreets of Western Sydney'? By the address in the book, he's right next to Parramatta station, which is effectively the demographic centre of Greater Sydney. You swish Eastern Suburbs folks need to get out more! (Just kidding - no offence...)

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CatsEyes
Thanks for the tips, Sator. Must check Sam out.

But 'the obscure backstreets of Western Sydney'? By the address in the book, he's right next to Parramatta station, which is effectively the demographic centre of Greater Sydney. You swish Eastern Suburbs folks need to get out more! (Just kidding - no offence...)

He's a bit of a trek from Parramatta Station, it took me a fair while to find him first time I went there. He's down a backstreet and there would be fairly little walk past trade I'd say.

misterjase

Reaction score
Isaia - American Tailors in Melbourne

Is Isaia available in Sydney? What price for a suit / jacket / trousers?

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by base615
He's a bit of a trek from Parramatta Station, it took me a fair while to find him first time I went there. He's down a backstreet and there would be fairly little walk past trade I'd say.
Ah, OK. I mis-read his address out of the book then. Thanks for the advice. Incidentally, what's your experience with Sam? Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads