• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent suit in Australia

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Remember that the original poster has a budget of $1,000 - $1,500 . The poster is obviously no suit connesseur, so it's probably best not to scare him with the higher priced suits.

misterjase

Reaction score
Maybe the scope of the thread has been widened a bit under the umbrella of what we have here that is decent.

We don't have much so we won't take much time!

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CatsEyes
Ah, OK. I mis-read his address out of the book then. Thanks for the advice. Incidentally, what's your experience with Sam? Cheers.
My shirtmaker Charles Nakhle bigs him up so I'm actually getting a suit made by him at the moment. He hasn't completed the suit so I can't vouch for it yet but based on my visits with him and his reputation I'm positive. I ordered the suit on 18th June and I have a fitting next week with completion forecast for the week after. He's usually quicker by all accounts but I went for an H & S cloth that took longer to ship. Still, 5 weeks for a bespoke suit ain't bad I reckon. In terms of price, the initial cloths he showed me were either $1450 or $1650 made up which I believe is very affordable given the cost of RTW over here. The cloth I went for is a fair bit more but it's very very nice indeed. Cheers, Craig

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Does he do alterations as well?

I haven't asked him but it says he does on his business card.

Cheers,

Craig

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Ah, sounds excellent. What's the cloth you went for?

base615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CatsEyes
Ah, sounds excellent. What's the cloth you went for?

It's a solid charcoal from Holland & Sherry's Snowy River lightweight suitings book. It felt pretty nice in the book, looking forward to seeing it on Monday. I can post a report once the suit is finished to let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Craig

Sharpe

Reaction score
This will probably be distasteful to many here...but I am now in the market for a new suit. I'm a very poor uni student and am starting placements in a very corporate environment in the next few weeks. My budget is only around 400-500 (and i'm not willing to pay any more). I know the suits I can get for that price (ESPECIALLY in australia) are going to be awful by the standards here, but I need something passable to wear for the next couple of years. Once i'm working full time i'll be able to afford and better use a more expensive suit.

But for now...I need to know what to look for and where to get it. I want something that doesnt have obvious stripes on it, preferably in dark grey or dark blue. And i'm of medium build, around 168cm short.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
This will probably be distasteful to many here...but I am now in the market for a new suit. I'm a very poor uni student and am starting placements in a very corporate environment in the next few weeks. My budget is only around 400-500 (and i'm not willing to pay any more). I know the suits I can get for that price (ESPECIALLY in australia) are going to be awful by the standards here, but I need something passable to wear for the next couple of years. Once i'm working full time i'll be able to afford and better use a more expensive suit.

But for now...I need to know what to look for and where to get it. I want something that doesnt have obvious stripes on it, preferably in dark grey or dark blue. And i'm of medium build, around 168cm short.

Fletcher Jones?

base615

Reaction score
Well I had my forward fitting with Sam Disano today and am very happy so far. The cloth is lighter grey than I thought but I actually prefer it. The suit should be ready on 21st July and I can post some pics that week.

Cheers,

Craig

base615

Reaction score
My suit from Sam Disano is now finished. I'm reasonably happy with it, it isn't perfect but I don't think it's a bad first attempt. I've commissioned a sports coat from him and asked for some changes so we'll see how that turns out. Some photos are below; There was more handwork than I was expecting, all the button holes are done by hand for instance. It's a very well made suit and was pretty good value at $2300AUD with H & S cloth from the Snowy River book. I sourced my own bone buttons as the first buttons he put on weren't particularly nice. I'd recomend this if ordering from him. For the sportcoat I've requested the following changes; 1. Less shoulder padding 2. Slightly narrower shoulders 3. Narrower lapels and higher gorge 4. Higher armholes I'd appreciate it if anyone sees something that looks wrong if they could tell me so I can get that changed also. Cheers, Craig

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by base615
My suit from Sam Disano is now finished. I'm reasonably happy with it, it isn't perfect but I don't think it's a bad first attempt. I've commissioned a sports coat from him and asked for some changes so we'll see how that turns out.

Some photos are below;

There was more handwork than I was expecting, all the button holes are done by hand for instance. It's a very well made suit and was pretty good value at $2300AUD with H & S cloth from the Snowy River book. I sourced my own bone buttons as the first buttons he put on weren't particularly nice. I'd recomend this if ordering from him.

For the sportcoat I've requested the following changes;

1. Less shoulder padding
2. Slightly narrower shoulders
3. Narrower lapels and higher gorge
4. Higher armholes

I'd appreciate it if anyone sees something that looks wrong if they could tell me so I can get that changed also.

Cheers,

Craig

Nice, Craig. The changes you have suggested will serve you well, but the above suit is still good.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by base615
My suit from Sam Disano is now finished. I'm reasonably happy with it, it isn't perfect but I don't think it's a bad first attempt. I've commissioned a sports coat from him and asked for some changes so we'll see how that turns out.

Some photos are below;

There was more handwork than I was expecting, all the button holes are done by hand for instance. It's a very well made suit and was pretty good value at $2300AUD with H & S cloth from the Snowy River book. I sourced my own bone buttons as the first buttons he put on weren't particularly nice. I'd recomend this if ordering from him.

For the sportcoat I've requested the following changes;

1. Less shoulder padding
2. Slightly narrower shoulders
3. Narrower lapels and higher gorge
4. Higher armholes

I'd appreciate it if anyone sees something that looks wrong if they could tell me so I can get that changed also.

Cheers,

Craig

- The requested changes should do it.
- What about the sleeve shape? I'd also go slimmer

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Requesting those changes should improve the look of the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics