• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent suit in Australia

RayRay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- WTF! reducing from a 38 to a 32 or 30 is going to throw out the balance (pocket placement & rise etc).
- seriously guys, you should think of your professional suits as a tool of trade.. Don't skimp.. Do it properly.
- very much like buy white-goods, that initial outlay is painful. But you are going to be using it every day. As for a suit for work or play, you want to feel good & confident.. Not cheap & nasty..

Hey PG,

The pants are turning well in the end since the tailor started from scratch with the pants (completely took it apart) so everything will look in proportion still in the end. Am getting them re made at M&R Tailor and Alterations.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Herringbone still have some suits on sale. I bought the prince of wales check today for $770 (not including alterations) down from $1295
thumbs-up.gif

Sydguy

Reaction score
Rhodes & Beckett suits for $850 at the moment, if you become a VIP, ie give them your email address, you get $100 off. Tough to pay this much when they have 40% off sales quite often.

Anyone know the quality of Sportscraft suits? I missed the 25% off, and full price is $650. It fits well but would need the sleeves tailored a bit, look like they were designed with Popeye in mind.

I would be interested in any info on the Sportscraft suits. I guess they are not canvassed, I asked a girl in DJ's about that and she did not know what I meant. Thanks.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sydguy
Rhodes & Beckett suits for $850 at the moment, if you become a VIP, ie give them your email address, you get $100 off. Tough to pay this much when they have 40% off sales quite often. Anyone know the quality of Sportscraft suits? I missed the 25% off, and full price is $650. It fits well but would need the sleeves tailored a bit, look like they were designed with Popeye in mind. I would be interested in any info on the Sportscraft suits. I guess they are not canvassed, I asked a girl in DJ's about that and she did not know what I meant. Thanks.
Rhodes & Beckett suits are okay. They are half canvassed and quite slim fitting. Fabrics are usually Super 110-130 Guabello or Marlane. Styling is all 2 button, flat front trousers and jackets usually have fake pick stitching, hacking pockets and sometimes a ticket pocket or working button cuffs. I have a few complaints. The shoulders whilst not too thick are quite stiff and this annoys me. The other thing is there trousers are quite slim around the waist and backside and then instead of having the leg taper into the cuff they are rather straight cut and full. Depending on your preferences you might have to spend additional case getting these tailored. As you stated above you can usually buy them on discount - anything from 30% to 50% off. I wouldnt only buy them on sale. If you can afford Herringbone I would go with them over Rhodes. Another suit worth checking out is Durban at DJs or Kent & Curwen. They are made by the same mob. They are usually about the $900.00 and half canvassed and made of some nice fabrics at times. Again don't buy them full price as they simply aren't worth it. The styling is rather conservative and their three button jackets are a little boxy. I saw some at a local mens store the other day and they had some with peak lapels. If that sort of thing interests you. Other than that, I dont think theres anything really worth taking a second look at. Sportscraft suits are nothing special. They are fused and really stiff. Though sometimes their fabrics are quite nice and they make some passable trousers. I think Sportscraft, like Country road could have potential to be rather nice stores if they they could make the collars in their shirts better and the suits and sports coats properly. Until they get this right you should probably avoid.

Sydguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Does the info on R&B apply to Boston Brothers? Same company...

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sydguy
Thanks for the info.

Does the info on R&B apply to Boston Brothers? Same company...

Yeah...The Boston Bros suits are exactly the same suits only relabeled with the Boston Bros tag. Luckily once they put the Boston Bros label on them you can get them for $599 at full price. They usually will be on sale usually 30-40% off the suits - this is when you should buy them!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads