Decent suit in Australia

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by staralfur, Aug 4, 2007.

1. ZengaGent

ZengaGent Senior member

Only once you have experienced a well made canvass construction coat will you really experience the tailoring equivalent of haute cuisine. If takeaway pizza and cask wine is all you have ever experienced and you are blissfully happy with it, stick with it. It is bad for the wallet when you have champagne tastes [​IMG]

Amen to that!

2. simmo08

simmo08 New Member

I recently came upon a tailor in Leichhardt (Sydney). His name is Antonio Intili and his shop is at 12 Renwick Street. Has anybody had any experience with him or heard about him?

3. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

Are the Italian RTW brands: Canali, Cantarelli, Corneliani - a canvassed construction?

Who are the stockists around the Australian cities?

4. merkur

merkur Senior member

5. meister

meister Senior member

Henry Buck's and Mitchell Ogilvie stock Canali; Harrold's stock Corneliani. I believe that there is actually a Canali store in Sydney but I may be mistaken.

On a side note, I found an interesting article online. It may have been posted already but anyway: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-23272,00.html

canali is a new store where Zegna was at the top of Martin Place.

6. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

There's a Zegna store in Collins Street, Melbourne as well as Martin Place, Sydney.

The situation with stockist of Italian RTW brands in Melbourne are far as I can determine via www is:
    Canali - Henry Bucks
    Cantarelli - Sarti
    Corneliani - ???

7. merkur

merkur Senior member

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Are the Italian RTW brands: Canali, Cantarelli, Corneliani - a canvassed construction?

Who are the stockists around the Australian cities?

Mitchell Ogilvie (the store mentioned in the Courier-Mail article that someone linked to above) stocks both Corneliani and Canali in Brisbane. All their stock is fully canvassed, and all of it is horrendously expensive.

Canali do have a diffusion line, called Canali Proposta. I believe that the Proposta suits are either half-canvassed or fused and the lapels often have a keyhole, rather than a straight-cut buttonhole.

9. merkur

merkur Senior member

10. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

Sam has an abjectly small shop in the obscure backstreets of Western Sydney - some 45mins from the CBD. Next door are an African food store and a dodgy Chinese $2 store! He says he doesn't need to have a high profile store as he has a solid basis of old customers after many decades running a successful tailoring business on Hunter St in the CBD. Lower overheads mean less costs to be handed down to the customer. He recently made a suit for Paul Keating. An old customer from his CBD days came to him recently all the way from Canada to order some dozen lounge suits, overcoats and sports coats from Sam. Sam is wealthy enough that he doesn't need to make money. He could retire tomorrow and has retired once before. He does it because he loves to.

Thanks for the tips, Sator. Must check Sam out.

But 'the obscure backstreets of Western Sydney'? By the address in the book, he's right next to Parramatta station, which is effectively the demographic centre of Greater Sydney. You swish Eastern Suburbs folks need to get out more! (Just kidding - no offence...)

11. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

Harrolds - Raffaele Caruso, Kiton, Pal Zileri, Brioni, Corneliani

12. merkur

merkur Senior member

13. base615

base615 Senior member

Thanks for the tips, Sator. Must check Sam out.

But 'the obscure backstreets of Western Sydney'? By the address in the book, he's right next to Parramatta station, which is effectively the demographic centre of Greater Sydney. You swish Eastern Suburbs folks need to get out more! (Just kidding - no offence...)

He's a bit of a trek from Parramatta Station, it took me a fair while to find him first time I went there. He's down a backstreet and there would be fairly little walk past trade I'd say.

14. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

Isaia - American Tailors in Melbourne

Is Isaia available in Sydney? What price for a suit / jacket / trousers?

15. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

He's a bit of a trek from Parramatta Station, it took me a fair while to find him first time I went there. He's down a backstreet and there would be fairly little walk past trade I'd say.
    Ah, OK. I mis-read his address out of the book then. Thanks for the advice. Incidentally, what's your experience with Sam? Cheers.