• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop Dressing Like a Freshman/Dad Jeans/Sporty Sunglasses

dapperdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
no they aren't. The hem is narrower than the knee.

Then why does the levisstore.com website say it's cut straight? I'm not saying you're wrong, but someone's wrong...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
Then why does the levisstore.com website say it's cut straight? I'm not saying you're wrong, but someone's wrong...

The taper is so slight that it gives visual effect of a straight leg, especially with stacking. Not speaking from my experience, as I don't own any 501s, but that's the consensus over at SW&D.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I remember a time when jeans were a strictly youth culture thing worn only by teenagers. Now you see pensioners wear them, fashionably accessoried with a walking frame. They are a bit of a 20th century piece of antique costume if you ask me and as youthful as powdered wigs.

I have stopped wearing them altogether.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

teacha.gif
teacha.gif
teacha.gif
teacha.gif
teacha.gif

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

(i still like brown jeans.)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are a hundred variations on the 501. But the current $40 STF 501 is tapered. If you want me to take a pic of how the hem is 3/4 to 1 inch narrower than the knee, I can. 1 inch makes a huge difference in the hem and how it looks. You might have a Capital E or an LVC which isn't tapered, but it's easy enough to check, fold the leg opening up to the knee and see if there is a difference. Real straight jeans have absolutely no taper after the knee, I know for example that APC English and Iron Heart 634 don't.

I'm guessing Levi's still calls it straight leg for people who only know between "bootcut" vs "not bootcut," aka straight.

Anyway, that's not the main problem. 501s have about 1 inch more rise compared to average jeans, and a billowy ass, and if you size up on it and cinch it with a belt, and combined with the tapered hem, this is a recipe for JobsJeans.

dapperdude

Reaction score
I agree Jobs looks terrible in those jeans.

I don't have so much a problem with my STF's fit. They are somewhat relaxed, and I actually prefer that to skin-tight jeans. They look don't look like the ones in that picture.

Hany

Reaction score
A collared short-sleeve shirt - eg. polo - is part of the dad look? That's news to me. I wear them all the time, I guess I should replace them with t-shirts?
No you shouldn't. If anything you should throw out your t-shirts.

What I meant about what they call "dad" jeans: they are the best jeans. For exemple this pair: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...0738cat9070741 looks better than any Diesel one IMO.

I agree that not wearing jeans is the best idea. Chinos, for exemple, are much better for casual wear.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh those Loro Piana are not pretty. The only reason labels like Hugo Boss make jeans is because they people are dumb enough to want to wear jeans that say "hugo boss" and spend the $250 to buy them. The only people these jeans impress are other similar guys who are also stupid enough to want jeans which say "hugo boss".

People that know nothing about jeans and can't be bothered to learn about it (nothing wrong with this, by the way) should just shop at target, gap, old navy, etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
No you shouldn't. If anything you should throw out your t-shirts.

What I meant about what they call "dad" jeans: they are the best jeans. For exemple this pair: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...0738cat9070741 looks better than any Diesel one IMO.

The problem with a place like Neiman Marcus is that the buyers make terrible choices in denim. I haven't decided whether it's because the buyers are themselves clueless about denim, or because they underestimate the tastes of their clientele.

The fit of those Loro Piana jeans are reasonable, but the wash is atrocious. I've seen the jeans in person, and the workmanship and denim are both passable at best, as well. In the $250 category, you can get amazing jeans. A pair of 5EP "straight down" jeans have a higher rise and more room in the seat and thighs and would fit a more. ahem, "mature" figure. The are made with amazing denim, have way, way, way better hardware than the Loro Piana jeans. The construction is likewise better. I know that both 5EP and SPURR jeans are carried at Bergdorf Goodman (SPURR is also carried at Louis at a ridiculous markup), and can only assume that the buyers decided that these brands were beyond the understanding of the Neiman Marcus customer.

I agree that Diesels are a bad choice at NM. In fact, I can hardly recommend anything from their "streetwear" section. I think that Neiman Marcus has the worst selection of "streetwear" of the three bigs (Barneys and Saks being the other two) and that is saying a lot seeing that Saks is pretty atrocious as well.

I agree that not wearing jeans is the best idea. Chinos, for exemple, are much better for casual wear.
This is a stupid statement. "I agree that not wearing straight ties is the best idea. Bowties, for example, are much better for businesswear" seems like a sensible statement by comparison. I reserve this type of categorical statement only about thong underwear for men. Your post makes me think that Nieman Marcus customers were not wrong about the knowledge base of their customer at all.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
Can I refer you to the cutting edge "is brown the new black" thread?

Originally Posted by JayJay
I've adopted a similar attitude. I haven't worn mine in since last winter and may stop completely.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't wear denim, but I really wouldn't trust jeans from Loro Piana or Brioni or such brands.
Jeans aren't really their thing. I've never been a jean freak, myself, and I don't know ubiquitous UNIQLO is across the world, but they make what some say are fine, modern jeans -- from Japanese denim, some of it selvage -- in a variety of cuts and washes. Without any extraneous pocket embroidery, etc. They cost from $40–$80 or so. If I were to wear them, I'd stick to a straight leg in raw or very dark denim with no whiskering, stone washing, or other purposeful distressing. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/

dapperdude

Reaction score
Cords are a nice alternative to jeans, especially with a jeans-like cut, and they are a notch above denim in dressiness. Personally, I don't care much for chinos as a jeans substitute, but they have their place in "business casual" type attire.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's as much, or more so, the wash.
And the fact that they seemed to be hiked way up.

All the anti jean types around here need to loosen up your ties and BREATHE.
devil.gif
This is style forum, not Ask Andy
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads