• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop Dressing Like a Freshman/Dad Jeans/Sporty Sunglasses

Hany

Reaction score
Hi, first post....

I disagree about what they call "dad jeans".

The classic cut jeans are the best looking and most comfortable jeans available for menswear.
Although I'm quite young (21) I bought a few years ago a pair of very classic and understated jeans of high quality that look a bit like the ones in that picture:
wink.gif

jeans.jpg

Although some (not style-inclined) might think they look like they were bought at wall mart, they are my favorite pair of jeans after a period of hating/not wearing them.

So my message to the young and stylish: dare to try "new" things and go against the grain by trying more classical pieces of clothing because being conservatively dressed never felt so awesome.

Uncorrelated

Reaction score
I thought the jeans in the picture looked fine too --- casual and comfortable. They're only extra high cut from the point of view of someone who can't think outside of the recent fashion for low rise pants.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
Hi, first post....

I disagree about what they call "dad jeans".

The classic cut jeans are the best looking and most comfortable jeans available for menswear...

I think it's as much, or more so, the wash.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
I think it's as much, or more so, the wash.

Agreed. The cut is fine, but the wash is really dated.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dad jeans": what an excellent expression. It was about time someone said it.

I remember a time when jeans were a strictly youth culture thing worn only by teenagers. Now you see pensioners wear them, fashionably accessoried with a walking frame. They are a bit of a 20th century piece of antique costume if you ask me and as youthful as powdered wigs.

I have stopped wearing them altogether.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have old man taste in Jeans.....the SWAD folks would tar and feather me for my denim collection. The indicator seems to be that none of the jeans I buy ever come from the denim section. They are always from the regular designer racks.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would totally wear Elvis' shirt.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
"Dad jeans": what an excellent expression. It was about time someone said it. I remember a time when jeans were a strictly youth culture thing worn only by teenagers. Now you see pensioners wear them, fashionably accessoried with a walking frame. They are a bit of a 20th century piece of antique costume if you ask me and as youthful as powdered wigs. I have stopped wearing them altogether.
I've adopted a similar attitude. I haven't worn mine in since last winter and may stop completely.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
steve_jobs_wds_cropped.jpg

90% of people who don't care about jeans have 501s. I dunno about older 501s but the current 501 with the high rise, billowy ass and slightly tapered ankle looks like ****, which is further worsened because everyone seems to size up an inch and wear a belt. Which cinches the waist like a hot air balloon.

anyone who doesn't know about jeans and doesn't care to know should stick to straight leg. Not boot leg, not tapered like 501s. just straight. And get your size

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no they aren't. The hem is narrower than the knee.

dapperdude

Reaction score
The video is more than snobbish, I think. I am guilty of some of these egregious offenses. A collared short-sleeve shirt - eg. polo - is part of the dad look? That's news to me. I wear them all the time, I guess I should replace them with t-shirts?

Anyways, what kinds of jeans and washes are not dorky looking? Some say 501's are dad-like. I have a pair of 501 STF's that don't fit at all like the one in the picture, and they have a rich dark color. They look pretty cool, IMHO, in an understated way. They fit me fine, but I am not as skinny as the guys posting pictures in the streetwear forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads