• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

Fritz

Reaction score
Eric, there is some nomenclature confusion, in that every shirtmaker can call his collars whatever he wants. I could sell shirts with collars called London, Paris and Tokyo if I wanted to. What is called a "cocktail cuff" by some is called "Bond cuff" by others.

But please, accept the fact that the name "cutaway collar" has been in use for a very long time. That is not changed by the fact that JAB or whoever does not chose to use this word. It's out there, and everyone here except you knows what is meant by it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
kitten_die.jpg

laugh.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thepataphysician
it doesn't matter if you call them cutaway or ****** collars, no one in their right mind would ever wear one.
Awesome! This thread turned the pataphysician from lurker to poster. Probably the first first post in history everyone can agree with. Welcome pataphysician.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he is trying to establish that there is confusion in the marketplace in order to demonstrate that he can legitimately claim intellectual property rights over his patented cutaways, which is more difficult to do if cutaways already exist.

If so, I wouldn't worry about it Eric. I doubt anyone will challenge your patents. And, you also have the nifty tie loop patent. I'm sure this baby will make you a billionaire in no time.

600shirtsdec2005009rz8.jpg

Originally Posted by eric glennie
i apologize for my ignorance, but gentlemen i dont think you know the difference between an english spread, windsor spread, wing collar, cut away, or a spread collar. you told me i dont know what i am talking about, i think you guys are confused. i dont know if there are any lawyers out there, but if this was a jury decision i see a lot of nomenclature confusion. confusion breeds doubt and inconsistency. i am honered this forum is available to discuss my cutaway collars. god bless the souls of my forefathers in fashion, but unfortunately today fashion experts have tarnished your definition of a cutaway collar. thanks eric glennie.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey ed...don't you have that tie?

Moss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
eric, please see the image a couple posts back. For the last century or more, a cutaway collar has been one where the points cut back toward the shoulders, leaving a wide space for the tie knot. A cutaway collar is not a turtleneck with a ****** for the tie to slip through. link please
devil.gif

LSHICB!!! Besides the style, there are other concerns to wearing one of these: community standards!

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the argument, I'd like to say that if I'm going to take the trouble to tie a torso-length phallus around my neck to lead females' eyes directly from my face to my ********, I am not going to disrupt the effort by placing a ****** under my chin.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
To add to the argument, I'd like to say that if I'm going to take the trouble to tie a torso-length phallus around my neck to lead females' eyes directly from my face to my ********, I am not going to disrupt the effort by placing a ****** under my chin.

crackup[1].gif

Jon.

eric glennie

Reaction score
thanks gentlemen for all your lovely responses. if you can get your genitalia out of your heads and knuckles out from dragging in the sand, i hope you might like the newest designs i posted on my website www.ericglennie.com. tell me what you think about my side-bar collars, rear-bar collars , and spliced neckties. does this calm you crazed apes and hopefully speed up evolution. thanks eric.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That would definitely be an ambiguous message. I've never thought of the necktie as pointing southward, as it's usually covered up toward the bottom - however, a collar and tie appear to point to the face like an arrow.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78