• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
your suit jackets still need some work - particularly in the shoulders.
I think I agree, but I am unsure as to what to do at this point. This is recently returned from the tailors. The analysis was that the problem is with the pitch - not of the jacket, but of my shoulders. Due to previous injuries they are pitched very far forward. Every jacket I try on also has this problem. While I have decided that my future purchases will be bespoke, I am at a loss as to what to do in the mean time. Edit: Also, thanks. Let's not forget that.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. The tie was a true eggplant (no aubergine
laugh.gif
). You have been MIA and you need to post a pic, like tomorrow man. - Thank you - yes it was safe, but I happen to like blue and purple together, I felt it worked at the end of the day - Had to play it safe as it was day 1 back from 10 day vacation and had to crack skulls for slacking while I was gone and report carnage upstairs - cant do that successfully in red pents (other option for today) - I lurve my wheels
laugh.gif

Was wondering where you were all day. I trust your judgement that it worked.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dig, I am digging the color scheme, but the pattern on that tie is
crazy.gif

Very 90s. Would look much better with solids, stripes, or dots

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie is a leftover from the great Tie-Purge of May. One hundred and twenty neckties went to a fairly distant Goodwill so that I didn't have to look at them again. I would have gone with a brighter Brooks Brothers but I had two Baltimore County agencies to deal with today and I needed a calming color and not something so aggressive. My new tie selection still has major gaps, especially in the blues.

It seemed to work as I had my two easiest face to faces with apparatchiks in years.

Not so much for here, though.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
The tie is a leftover from the great Tie-Purge of May. One hundred and twenty neckties went to a fairly distant Goodwill so that I didn't have to look at them again. I would have gone with a brighter Brooks Brothers but I had two Baltimore County agencies to deal with today and I needed a calming color and not something so aggressive. My new tie selection still has major gaps, especially in the blues.

It seemed to work as I had my two easiest face to faces with apparatchiks in years.

Not so much for here, though.

129! Jeez... you hoarder
laugh.gif

Not just the ties I am talking about though - just in general. Anyhow - do as you are comfortable, but I was just offering a friendly suggestion.

tshaw

Reaction score
I love the coat - where does get one just like it? Next time I fly one of my 15 kites, I want to wear this jacket..How sporting!!

fulltao.jpg

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
129! Jeez... you hoarder
laugh.gif
Not just the ties I am talking about though - just in general. Anyhow - do as you are comfortable, but I was just offering a friendly suggestion.

All taken in the spirit intended. As I have said in the past, more often than not, I pull out a shirt with a name that I covet, only to notice that it is one of my 'forbidden' colors and I put it back on the rack to look for something brighter.. You no likey the "Made in Italy" Banana Republic cotton SC? I can't wear wool all summer!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As you can tell by the shadow, the day was already half over. I'm still training the lapels to change from a true 3 button to a 2 roll 3.

100_1599.jpg

Damned thing kept hiding in the pocket all day until I took these pics. Perky little punk. The color next to the blue ovals is actually gray, not the khaki like the sc color.
100_1597.jpg

100_1598.jpg

100_1591.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1589.jpg

100_1587.jpg

100_1586.jpg

Dig, I am hardly the exemplar of fit in this thread, but I do see what work on others and what doesn't. In this case, I would suggest that this SC will never work for you. The shoulders are irretrievably wide and padded for a man your size, and you won't succeed in training the lapels to do anything other than what the factory made them to do. Ask me how I know...

I humbly suggest that you get some basic ties from someplace like Land's End. They have decent quality, and the price is right. As you've noted, most folks in your line of work don't wear suits, so it won't hurt you to get five or six basic ties and rotate them. It may not be as exciting as having a rack full of gorgeous ties from which to choose every morning, but I think you'll be happier with the results.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, wear what makes you happy.
biggrin.gif

Well, just damn! That's the crappiest advice you've given me. Seriously, I am trying to find things that fit the direction I receive here but there's not a lot of colors that make sense to me left. I think I keep going with the things that I came of age with because it's a comfort zone and it's guys like you, butch, Ian and others that I need to prod me OUT of that zone.
"I WANT you on that wall! I NEED you on that wall!"
I have a light blue H. Freeman & Sons SC that I'm about to spring on you but I was waiting to get some pants I acquired for it adjusted. Maybe, I'll go with the dark blue (but not navy) Canali slacks instead.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
surrender.gif

smile.gif

You're a good egg, Dig.

Originally Posted by pvrhye
I'd also say, that though the shoulders are quite padded, they don't look too bad. On the subject of converting to a 3-roll-2, isn't that the origin of the practice?

On jackets like the one Dig is wearing, the (typically) fused lapels seem to be made to support only the hard-three buttoning. When you try to roll them to two, part of the lapel is unsupported, leading to wonky ripples and whatnot. I have two Hugo Boss suits that I tried to roll to 2, and ultimately I had to just let them do what they wanted. One seems to have settled on 2 1/2, though.

I have a few J. Press sacks (for sale in B&S"”see the sig below...) which seem much happier to roll to 2 yet will also roll to 3. I'd love for one of the tailors here to explain why this is or tell me that I'm full of it.

exhaze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
acrid_52511_2.gif

acrid_52511.gi
f

I really like how your style has improved on these forums and how you've really made your outfits your own. It's amusing how you seem to, intentionally or not, coordinate the color of your outfits to that wall in the background. Tie dimpling still needs some work, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
josem7744