1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I had a bunch of multiquotes saved, but losing them just capped off a long ass and annoying day.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your opinions... I felt the jacket was Okaaaaayy... not great, but as Nii said, I was experimenting, because Im so tired of putting a navy blazer with red pants... c'est la vie...

A few of you had good stuff today too.... you know who you are, LOL

2. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

I know of a judge who refuses to hear lawyers who are not wearing black shoes. Brown is for farmer :(

Google justice Mary Southin. A hard ass's hard ass.

3. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

What on earth makes you think it is possible to both be a "bad ass mofo" and have a walk in closet?

4. Nonchalant

Nonchalant Member

V V- While your point regarding the similarity in tone of the subject's shirt and suit may be valid, I don't believe your method of substantiating it is applicable for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not aware that anyone's color blindness is so extreme that they see in black and white and secondly reducing any two adjacent colors to black and white can result in matching shades of gray depending on the hues and saturation. One could easily post a picture in color of a red rose on green grass that in black and white would appear as two identical shades of gray. Point taken... but process not so much.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

It's just a tool to help diagnose, something that I learned working in graphic design. It's not a hard-and-fast rule.

6. A.J.V

A.J.V Senior member

Thanks Nii!

In Finland it's enough that you just have some shoes to go to the court :D

You have a nice vibe going on. Even though I don't share your love to sack suits and some shoes that are a bit "clumsy" for my taste, this is maybe the forth or fifth fit in a row that I've liked a lot!

Love about everything in this one. It's simple and it's working!

7. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

ah, this tie and collar - i purchased the tie (jil sander) on impulse for next to nothing from an outlet store, but don't really know what to do with it. although i like narrow ties, it's too narrow for most of my lapels, too shiny for a casual outfit. oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

^ For the record, I like this look a lot, FF. The shirt and tie pair well together. What watch is that?

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

tbh, it just doesn't fit you well. Collar, shoulders, arms - they all look "uncomfortable" sitting on you. A jacket should rest on a body; yours doesn't appear to do so in the pics posted. Since you mentioned Victor, compare how his jacket rests on his body compared to yours (feel free to substitute any of the bespoke or even very careful MTM wearers in the thread). It's not a matter of yours being too big or too small; it just doesn't have the right general shape around you in lots of little ways that add up to it looking a bit off. Sorry to be so harsh.

(It's also too short, but that's a matter of personal preference.)

Dr Mengele has clearly been busy. First StyleForum itself, now vox & IST. The experiments continue...

I'm trying to stop multiquoting, and use the Thumbs Up feature instead for positive feedback. You can provide a quick comment in the box with constructive feedback as well as the bits you liked. It would compress the thread nicely if others also chose to use it this way, I think. You can then reserve the multiquote feedback for longer/more-detailed advice. Much less time-consuming that way.

But since I've quoted you anyway(!), I'll comment here instead: nice top half; trousers a bit too bright. A few shades darker red and it would have worked better IMO.

Keep it for casual looks, but use it at night, where the sheen (and informality of width) works to your advantage.

First time I've worn anything particularly SF-y this week I think:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

thank you - the watch is a tutima pacific automatic.

11. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Suit - BB GF Regent
    Shirt - The Shirt Store, NYC
    Tie - BB
    PS - BB
    Cufflinks - Charles Tyrwhitt
    Shoes - C & J Edgwares

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

You mean nauseating. We Americans are nauseating. :teach:

That's why no one ever immigrates here.

13. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    4 people like this.
  14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Nauseous. Nauseated. The first means “sickening to contemplate”: the second means “sick to the stomach.” Do not, therefore, say, “I feel nauseous,” unless you are sure you have that effect on others. Strunk & White 1979: 53.

Hence to me it is Nauseous.

Yours,

A. Pedant.

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Strunk & White make me both nauseous and nauseated. See, e.g. What Not to Do as Writer.

I remain, every faithfully
    Your S.,
    -L.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Catch you guys in 10 days...off to the sunshine and sands...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. JTA

JTA Senior member

Now, this is fresh. On the border of MC and SW.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i like that tie and suit together a lot, very nice. have fun on ze vacay.

19. Withaque

Withaque Well-Known Member

At first glance I absolutely loved this, so I went back to look at it again. I liked the some what unexpected lavender check with the double breasted suit. I thought it was a great way to soften the formality of a gray DB. Now I am not sure about it. I think the shirt is at odds with the DB(the material seems rather sleek in the photo). To borrow from recent critiques of one of Spoo's fit, they are "incongruous". Another color check or a different pattern in lavender may work better. Overall, I still like it, just not as much as that first "WOW!" moment. Finally, the tie and shirt combo rocks.

20. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

That is one hell of a send-off Spoo...and especially the shoes which are bordering on a religious experience. :slayer: Have a great time, and enjoy ten days in what I can only suppose are Allan Edmonds flip-flops and a three-piece bespoke bathing suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.