• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

6up

Reaction score
my day sucked too....dished out 7 after school detentions on a Fri afternoon
ffffuuuu.gif

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
My day sucked. I deserve a raise.
Stop reading the thread? Also, spend your time better. You're reading things that you have little interest in and clearly grinds your gears. People vent to put off burnout. It's legal. I'm not sure why I keep hitting "read post" for someone I have on ignore. Guess I should follow my own advice.

6up

Reaction score
So its that time of the yr where the term is concluding, you are tired and ready for your 7-8 wks off and the kids are hyped up etc etc. How do you keep your kids in check for the last month or few weeks remaining?

dinogj

Reaction score
I currently work three jobs to save up for med school.

Currently my biggest pleasure (but job that pays the least) is teaching Ecology to children between ages of 5 and 13. I mean some days I want to kill the little F***ers, but seeing them understand is just awesome.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Good news: I am the Lecturer and Program Manager for the English dept. of my college.
Bad news: I am the ONLY lecturer, and thus the program manager, for the English dept. of my college. I have nobody to bounce ideas off of except the Subject Area Moderator and External Examiner. I'm going to learn a lot about confidence from this job.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Wife is an AVID teacher, and the school she works at is really big into this program. If you ask questions here or in PM I can (hopefully) get her to answer them.

I missed this.
Thanks
fistbump.gif

The AVID teacher actually only needed a few days off.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 6up
So its that time of the yr where the term is concluding, you are tired and ready for your 7-8 wks off and the kids are hyped up etc etc. How do you keep your kids in check for the last month or few weeks remaining?

Most of the kids just don't bother showing up.
laugh.gif

I had a class yesterday in which 1/4 the class had a grade higher than 100(A+) and 1/4 the class had a grade lower than 25(F).
The final was only worth 10 points and you could email in the extra credit.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 6up

This month I had kids do a large group project that made them be VERY creative (the had to create a product, then an ad campaign for that product) and they loved it. The results were out of this world! I always finish the year (I have 8th graders so they graduate in one week, plus have been practicing for their ridiculously long 8 song graduation ceremony since 5/18 a few periods a day) with screening Life is Beautiful. Everyone winds up leaving the room in tears at the end. They learn about the Holocaust every year in their lit classes, but that always focuses on it being a "Jewish event". Very few of my students are Jewish, so I feel that this film, which shows it as more of a "human event" and doesn't focus on the Judaism, is easier for them to empathize with. Works every year.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone teach or sub during summer school?
Last year I didn't sub during summer school and just got a job at a local resort.
Are the kids better behaved? What is it like teaching a semester load of work in 6 weeks?

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Last year I didn't sub during summer school and just got a job at a local resort.
Are the kids better behaved? What is it like teaching a semester load of work in 6 weeks?

I taught summer school for the past six years; this is actually the first summer I have not taught it. I have found the kids are better behaved since the classes are smaller and the summer is more relaxed. The content isn't that bad since you are really just pushing them through. Most, if not all, of the work is completed in class so grading is easy; I rarely took anything home. Do they need to get a passing grade and/or pass a standardized assessment?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1

I kinda love teaching in the summer. The hallways aren't as busy and no one is really breaking down your neck that hard. The kids are more relaxed and you can have a lot of quality time with them. Remember that summer school kids just need to pass. What grade are you teaching?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
cheers.gif

I guess I will do some sub work this summer and maybe pick up a part time job at Starbucks.
Since the classes are shorter I will only be taking home <$50 a day.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78