1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Teacher Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 14, 2011.

1. huojirab

huojirab New Member

agree,the answers to the above 3 questions in relation to how the people saw themselves doing the job or wanted to do the job.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. 6up

6up Senior member

Hey Teachers......enjoy your summer off!

Plans? I will catch up on my reading(s) and got a few DIY projects on the go!

3. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

Just found this today! Fellow teacher here, 9th Grade Global in a charter school in the South Bronx.

4. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

I do middle school lang. arts and var. tutoring on the side.

5. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

I've been reading post in this thread for a short time now, haven't read all of it(on pg 22), and I really like the discussions going on. I saw this recently, and thought it would be good for discussion.

[​IMG]

6. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Standardised tests down there (US) as big a deal as they seem in the media?

8. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

Varies school to school, district to district. I currently teach in private, so we don't have standardized tests. However, we constantly hear about ACT/SAT scores (Side note: my state offers very lucrative scholarships for students who attend university in-state and have above certain GPAs and test scores). I also teach an AP class so I have those scores to worry about. Granted, I really just have to keep my score average at 3.0, which I haven't found to be too hard though I still push the kids to make 4s and 5s.

When I taught public, we were always reminded about state tests and getting kids to pass. I don't think anyone got fired for having low scores, but I've heard some teachers in some districts have it tougher than I did.

Whether or not standardized testing directlys affects an individual teacher or not, I think their existance (and how pedagogy is becoming based around it) has encouraged mediocrity. The standard is no longer strive and achieve but maintain and get by, and the latter is celebrated (pizza parties for classes where everyone passes by getting atleast a 70% or lower in some states). Last year, we had a lot of meetings/discussions about the middle 60%, those students who aren't failing and aren't achieving. Unfortunately, nothing really came out of those conversations.

I've found that telling the kids that passing is the minimum expectation and setting a tone that matches that expectaion early helps. I'm by no means draconian, but they're expected to work at a certain level. However, I also give the kids a chance to make up an assignment if they didn't do well on it though this lends itself to writing better than perhaps other discplines. This policy has saved me numerous headaches as no longer is the big bad teacher not letting the student earn a higher grade. It puts the responsibility back on the student.

Anyway, back to your question, testing is a aggrandized a bit, but it's an everpresent shadow in the corner of one's eye. The danger of testing is that the celebration of merely passing sets a low expectation IMO.

tl;dr
    Passing the test should be the minimum expectation
    Give the students the grade* they earn *(Make sure grading matches expectations)
    Give students an opportunity to make up their work

9. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Who creates these tests? Who marks them? Which courses have them? Mandatory?

10. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

1. States contract out their testing to various companies. There's usually a bidding process. I once applied for a job as a test writer. That particular companies had some contacts for a few Midwestern states.

Individual distracts also create their own benchmarks (usually assessed per quarter) to measure passing. There are others too but those are more at elementary (those poor kids get hit hard).

2. I think the majority use a computer, but there are probably some that still use pen and paper. Multiple choice tests are scanned.

3. Core classes. This label gets fuzzy but if a course is offered, it has a test or some sort of funding. Govt is going to pay for it unless there's an assessment.

4. Varies. Some states claim standards are too high, etc

Bottom line: Schools need to show progress. If not, students can transfer to better (making progress) school. If that doesn't help, the state will go in and restructure the school.

11. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Hey errbody. I own (with two partners) a test prep business in Asia. SAT, APs, stuff like that. Been doing this stuff here since '02, but this is year six of the business.

(my parents are both teachers too, fwiw)

12. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

I always thought IB has had a larger presence outside the US than AP. Is that shifting as more international students attend US colleges/universities?

13. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

You're right, but I'm dealing specifically with students who are aiming for US colleges and universities--kids who attend international schools (many of which use the IB curriculum, of course), boarding schools in the US (and elsewhere), and the elite Korean foreign language high schools.

Our main business is SAT-1 Writing and CR, but we also do pretty well with AP US History, AP World History, AP English Language & Composition, and AP English Literature & Composition.

14. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

During the summer and fall, I work at a learning center that offers SAT and SAT prep. Also, another teacher and I occasionally will offer a weekend 'crash course' the weekend before an exam. I also teach AP Lang, and, though I haven't officially taught it, cover a lot of AP Lit material in an honors class.

The private boarding schools I taught at had a lot of international students (mostly Koreans at the time but Chinese were increasing). I was always surprised how much money their sponsors brought in. They easily brought in as much money as I did teaching full time (if not more) and they only worked on the weekends since the kids boarded during the week. That'd be a nice gig when I retire.

15. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Yes, I have a lot of students from US boarding schools (Exeter, PA, SPS, Hotchkiss, etc.). Every boarding school nowadays has a significant Korean contingent, although Chinese students have overtaken Koreans at many schools.

16. ermagerdben

ermagerdben Member

Are you based in SH? HK?

17. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member