1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Teacher Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 14, 2011.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I can get 10 pens for a dollar at my local 99Cent store. I am trying to get some even cheaper.:lol:

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I don't mind the publishing of the results if they were easily understood. They're not. The margin of error is +-50%, that's NUTS. Its also, as Gates says in the Times, one part of a multifaceted job. M'eh, I work with teachers who are very upset with this, and maybe I'd be if I were included, but I'm ot so I'm kind of ambivalent on the issue. Wonder if PD, FDNY, DoS will now also be subjected to the same public data evaluations. Imagine every PO's conviction/arrest ratio, or every firemen having a "mortality rate" or "damage rate" attached to fires they're fighting.

3. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

Try Costco. Pens and pencils come in quantities of 50 - 60. I can't remember the price, but it might come out to be cheaper. People laugh at me when I open my drawer though:

[​IMG]

(That's also 24 sharpies and 9 decks of playing cards :slayer: )

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. 6up

6up Senior member

Q for all the American teachers.

Up here in Ontario - Cda, we do reports cards with a mark AND comments. A friend of a friend in Mobile said they just do a mark. Is that the standard for AL or all of the public system in the USE?

5. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

It varies from division to division. I've written comments for all students, no students and students below a C.

6. NewYorkIslander

In nYC we have a list of comments, but it goes school by school how you use them. Some schools don't, mine asks us to place a standards based comment and a general comment. I find them ridiculous and would much prefer to be able to type in personalized comments for each student as most of the cookie cutter ones don't apply 100%.

7. NewYorkIslander

Happy Summer folks...last day for me was today. Just wanted to share this note I got from a graduating student, in case like me, a few reminders of why we do what we do help us along:

"Mr. R,

Oh lord, I'm going to miss you sooooooo much; there are no words to explain. You truly, TRULY were and are an incredible inspiration to me. You helped me do things I never thought I could. You and only you, really do make me feel like I Can be something, and make differences. I promise ill try my hardest to be someone, and make the best decisions for you and your family. You taught me very well and in a very different way than the average social studies teacher would. I mean not every hostory teacher would let us have a paper ball war, or teach us the importance and meaning in song lyrics the way you do. I feel like I've matured and grew in your class, and I want to make you proud. I really do. I want to thank you So much for everything; all the feed back, the award, and the note you wrote to me. All of it means so much to me and ill treasure it forever. I really hope you don't forget me, cause in 10 or 15 years from now; ill hopefully be something or someone, making the changes you want for your children, and making the differences you wish to see. And when I do accomplish something like that, I want you to be able to recognize me when I say that the person that lead me to make such differences was Mr. Rossicone. You brought out the side of me I never knew I had. You're just amazing and awesome in every way. You'll always be important to me. You're the only teacher and person that really makes me feel special, and like I'm capable of doing something big and important with my life. I love you mr. R, and I wish you and your family an amazing life; you deserve it."

2 people like this.
  8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

:slayer: you making the world a better place, rob. :cheers:

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

For those of you who need cheap supplies: The back to school sales will be starting in a few weeks. Now's the best time to stock up on CHEAP supplies, especially with things like teacher discounts, etc. You need to keep an eye out in the Sunday paper for specials, or better yet, view the ads in advance on sites like SlickDeals and FatWallet. Its amazing the amount of shit you can stockpile for next to nothing. I'd do this for the person that I used to take care of and they'd be loaded for the whole year.

11. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Question for the teachers: Do you think being around kids all the time has slowed down your maturity? Or has it made you more responsible and mature? Do you see yourself acting different compared to adult similar to your age? Being around such young minds all the time must have some kind of an affect on adult brains.

12. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

lol; I know what you are getting at. I'm 45, and definitely do not feel like I'm "old". In fact, just thinking that I'm close to 50 makes me amazed because I feel mentally like I'm 28

13. Gunky

Gunky Senior member

i think a qualitative and quantitative study needs to be done on schools in major urban areas to answer a lot of questions

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. 6up

6up Senior member

.......a bowtie also does the trick!

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

If we can't get kids to spell at a fourth grade level by the time they're 18, I guess giving them the self-confidence to be the next Shakespeare is the next best thing.

17. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

took you a year to come up with that?

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

SH hasn't yet articulated his issue with teachers yet, but I'm assuming it's completely justified.

19. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I think that this is a great question. I think that being around my elementary school kids has definitely made me act more responsible in some ways. I try to be a good example and try to tone down some things. On the other hand, being around kids for a good part of the day, the conversations do not get very deep. So, I can see my maturity thought process depend on different situations/topics.

20. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Depends on what you're teaching and how you spend your free time. I've worked at many places were the discourse is notably lower than in a school full of children.